Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:20 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Odd Request From Borrower

I contacted a borrower today to set an appointment who is also the main contact for access provided by my lender/client. The borrower starts to ask me questions about my qualifications, no problem, so I answer his questions, I've been appraising for 23 years, blah, blah, blah. The borrower then let's me know before he will be willing to set an appt he needs to see my resume and qualifications before moving forward and setting an appt. He wants to approve me in a sense before he let's me do his appraisal. He says something to the effect this is probably a common request and I told him no, never in 23 years have I had a borrower, where the lender is my client, attempt to approve me before moving forward with the appraisal. I politely side stepped his request for my qualifications, some of which I provided over the phone. I have a message into the lender about the borrowers request through AppraisalPort, which is how they prefer appraisal issues addressed so it is documented with the file, and have yet to hear back from them. Off hand I am not sure why I shouldn't provide my qualifications to the lenders borrower prior to performing an appraisal, but it somehow seems wrong. Plus, I was a little put off that the borrower acted as though it was his right to approve me as though he gets to choose his appraiser. He says he'll call me back tomorrow to set an appt, I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, how did you handle it?

Last edited by rijman : 10-14-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 PM

State: California

I can see his point although, it's not a right...but your option to provide this information. If he requires it, well I guess the ball is in your court. I would tell him to look at your license on the state website, anything after that is up to you.....keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 PM

State: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijman View Post
I contacted a borrower today to set an appointment who is also the main contact for access provided by my lender/client. The borrower starts to ask me questions about my qualifications, no problem, so I answer his questions, I've been appraising for 23 years, blah, blah, blah. The borrower then let's me know before he will be willing to set an appt he needs to see my resume and qualifications before moving forward and setting an appt. He wants to approve me in a sense before he let's me do his appraisal. He says something to the effect this is probably a common request and I told him no, never in 23 years have I had a borrower, where the lender is my client, attempt to approve me before moving forward with the appraisal. I politely side stepped his request for my qualifications, some of which I provided over the phone. I have a message into the lender about the borrowers request through AppraisalPort, which is how they prefer appraisal issues addressed so it is documented with the file, and have yet to hear back from them. Off hand I am not sure why I shouldn't provide my qualifications to the lenders borrower prior to performing an appraisal, but it somehow seems wrong. Plus, I was a little put off that the borrower acted as though it was his right to approve me as though he gets to choose his appraiser. He says he'll call me back tomorrow to set an appt, I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, how did you handle it?
No I haven't... but if I was I would ask to see his credit scores from 3 different ratings agencies, last years W-2, checking and savings account statements, breakdown of outstanding debts, then at the door day of inspection ask for his drivers license, SS card and proof of US citizenship, after you review all the documents ask to see his deed, survey and property tax card, mutter something underneath your breath shake your head and politely decline to go forward with the inspection, by pre-denying his loan you'll be saving the lender a lot of time and money. Don't forget to collect the loan app fee from the bank for your trouble.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 AM

State: Illinois

Since HVCC went into effect, I have been "interviewed" by borrowers who a) are in the business or b) the listing/selling agent.

It doesn't happen all the time but often enough where its no longer unusual.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 AM

State: Alaska
Default Memories.

I had almost the exact same conversation with a borrower a few years ago, except that at the end I politely asked him point blank if I'd passed his interview, and could we please set an appointment? He reluctantly agreed, but I just couldn't resist the urge to ask him (with a little humor) what prompted the grilling? He very seriously says "The demons can't get in if you don't let them in."

Sounded very strange, but the guy turned out to be pretty normal, at least for the 45 minutes I was at his property.

Probably your guy has reasons that have to do with his past experiences, and not necessarily issues with you. You gave him your professional history, just show him your ID and tell him that supplying him with your resume is beyond the scope of your duties and the assignment, assuming it is.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 AM

State: Washington

I usually tell them how long I have been Appraising, I am State Certified and approved by the Lender. If that is not enough for him, then I will gladly back down and let a different Appraiser try to fulfil his needs.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 AM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

This line of questioning might be a little awkward for newer appraisers with no experience in the area.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 AM

State: North Carolina

I say "good for him." Maybe he is aware of the absolute mess that we (and all that G-A-S) are subjected to and wants to be sure he doesn't end up here, on this very forum asking questions about the credibility of the report.

You're obligated to the client and they have qualified you (WE know this). Getting the info to him prior to setting the appointment is a bit much. However, I would reassure them over the phone that you have enough experience, know the area, blah, blah, blah and let them know that you would be fine with discussing it further on the appointment date.
Bring a copy of your resume and a business card.

There's always the chance that they're just nutz but I would take the opportunity to let them know who I am, what I do and pat them on the back for looking out for #1.

We all talk about how the public is in the dark. Sounds to me like you may have somebody that has seen a bit of the light. Do what you do (which I am sure is a thorough job) and pass along a card. Maybe you'll get a referral out of it.

Last edited by SutnNC : 10-15-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 AM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I guess my question to the HO would be, "So what criteria do you think
makes an appraiser qualified?" And since the lender is lending the HO
the money, its probably more the lender's responsibility then the HO's.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 AM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

With all that is going on are you really that shocked? Cmon....I chased a refi a few months back. I started with Chase. Their appraiser called me and I quizzed him after looking up his license online. Knowing her was less than a year 'in' you bet I quizzed him and discovered his fee for my appraisal was only 130 bucks. Also found out he was expected to perform 5 per day for this fee. After cancelling this bogus crap I applied with local country mortgage - quizzed the second appraiser as well.

I would expect the same from any borrower or realtor these days.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread