Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Gym
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default That's a Sad Happy Meal

A Happy Meal that does not go bad after 6 months should raise red flags, but then again a true controls experiment is in order. Where are the Mythbusters when you need them?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz12IVs0xAX

Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workbox View Post
A Happy Meal that does not go bad after 6 months should raise red flags, but then again a true controls experiment is in order. Where are the Mythbusters when you need them?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz12IVs0xAX
It's rather remarkable that it cannot sustain biological life after six months of exposure to the atomosphere and constant bombardment from bacteria and mold spores landing on it from dust, etc. However, I am less surprised by the bread, since it is obviously essentially a piece of engineered starch with a good dose of preservatives. I would have expected the fries and the meat to mold. However, once the items becomes sufficiently dry, after a week or so (depending on climate and humidity), molds and bacteria won't have enough water to populate, so they didn't actually have a six month window to grow (unless the experiment was done in the Pacific Northwest or other humid climate). I would like to see this experiment by putting a glass cover over the items to keep in the moisture. The sheen on the fries is a characteristic of highly polymerized oil "synthetic" oil. You should be able to notice this after you eat the fries since there should be a feeling that something is coating your mouth and tongue, like Vaseline.

This is certainly an example of highly engineered (in the laboratory) fast food and what I personally call "Faux Food". It looks like food, smells like food (maybe even better), eats like food, but actually only some of the raw materials came from nature (meaning, a piece of meat, grains, etc.) and what did come from nature was altered considerably to maximize shelf life, reduce costs and maximize flavors and textures.

Normally, in a free market, the manufacturer is "kept honest" by the acceptance of the product by the public. Normally, a car that is built poorly or a suit that has a bad cut or is made from cheap materials, etc., can be noticed by the buying public, so there is the incentive to make a "good product". However, with food, what is noticeable is the flavor and texture and then it's gone; however, the effects on the body are much less obvious, since any effects can be attributed to something else, which gives the "Faux Food" industry a great deal of wiggle room to screw up your health to provide them additional profits. It like the hour hand of a clock. Look at it. Is it moving? No? Really, you don't notice that it moved, so it doesn't move?

Unfortunately, you can pretty much sell people anything as long as it tastes good and they don't die quickly, which would be too obvious to ignore - this is why this has become such a nefarious business for health.

Last edited by prasercat : 10-18-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

One of the bags of apple slices from my kid's happy meal got left out all weekend once - the cut apples didn't turn brown at all, they were still white by the end of the weekend.

Gross.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdfenton View Post
One of the bags of apple slices from my kid's happy meal got left out all weekend once - the cut apples didn't turn brown at all, they were still white by the end of the weekend.

Gross.
Wow!, that's definitely 100% of your daily requirement of embalming fluid and reducing agents.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

State: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasercat View Post
It's rather remarkable that it cannot sustain biological life after six months of exposure to the atomosphere and constant bombardment from bacteria and mold spores landing on it from dust, etc. However, I am less surprised by the bread, since it is obviously essentially a piece of engineered starch with a good dose of preservatives. I would have expected the fries and the meat to mold. However, once the items becomes sufficiently dry, after a week or so (depending on climate and humidity), molds and bacteria won't have enough water to populate, so they didn't actually have a six month window to grow (unless the experiment was done in the Pacific Northwest or other humid climate). I would like to see this experiment by putting a glass cover over the items to keep in the moisture. The sheen on the fries is a characteristic of highly polymerized oil or "synthetic" oil. You should be able to notice this after you eat the fries since there should be a feeling that something is coating your mouth and tongue, like Vaseline.

This is certainly an example of highly engineered (in the laboratory) fast food and what I personally call "Faux Food". It looks like food, smells like food (maybe even better), eats like food, but actually only some of the raw materials came from nature (meaning, a piece of meat, grains, etc.) and what did come from nature was altered considerably to maximize shelf life, reduce costs and maximize flavors and textures.

Normally, in a free market, the manufacturer is "kept honest" by the acceptance of the product by the public. Normally, a car that is built poorly or a suit that has a bad cut or is made from cheap materials, etc., can be noticed by the buying public, so there is the incentive to make a "good" product.

However, with food, what is noticeable is the flavor and texture and then it's gone; however, the effects on the body are much less obvious, since any effects can be attributed to something else, which gives the "Faux Food" industry a gread deal of wiggle room to screw up your health to provide them additional profits. It like the hour hand of a clock. Look at it. Is it moving? No? Really, you don't notice that it moved, so it doesn't move?

Unfortunately, you can pretty much sell people anything as long as it tastes good and they don't die quickly, which would be too obvious to ignore - this is why this has become such a nefarious business for health.
Well put. It is amazing how good chicken MCnuggets taste.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM

State: California

Quote:

Gross.
There are lots of natural ways to keep apples from turning brown. I'm sure a big company that specializes in food as figured out a few ways to get the job done without resorting to embalming fluids.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative View Post
There are lots of natural ways to keep apples from turning brown. I'm sure a big company that specializes in food as figured out a few ways to get the job done without resorting to embalming fluids.
That was a joke! You would taste embalming fluid!

My inclination is to ask why? Why would they seek a natural reducing agent? Actually, the natural one's don't keep fruit from browning for that long, maybe a few hours. It was likely a Bisulfite or some derivative chemical taken from ascorbic acid, but not ascorbic acid. It's like taking the bumper off of a 57' chevy. It's not the 57' chevy, it's just the bumper added to a Hugo equivalent of some other molecule.

Why do you give them the benefit of the doubt? I would if there was a profit motive, but what is it?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:

Gross.
Lemon juice will stop apples from turning brown.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmland View Post
Lemon juice will stop apples from turning brown.
I respect your opinion on this, since you grow your own; however, when I have used lemon juice on apples and potatoes, and it didn't appear to work for more than a day. The acetic acid in the juice is the reducing agent. Also, lemon juice can acidify and alter the taste of the product. Have you been successful at using a lemon juice at keeping apples from browning for an entire week?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasercat View Post
I respect your opinion on this, since you grow your own; however, when I have used lemon juice on apples and potatoes, and it didn't appear to work for more than a day. The acetic acid in the juice is the reducing agent. Also, lemon juice can acidify and alter the taste of the product. Have you been successful at using a lemon juice at keeping apples from browning for an entire week?

Honestly, I've never trying for more than a day or two. I would guess it may not work a week. To reduce the effect on taste you can cut the lemon juice (or any citris juice) with water. I'm not sure of the ratio off the top of my head. My sister uses Sprite for her kids cut apples, dipped not soaked.

As for McD, they use calcium ascorbate (Calcuim and Vitamin C) on the apples to keep them white for up to a month according to a friend at the USDA.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread