Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Client switched from FHA to Conventional and asked to have appraised as-is

I appraised a home that has missing and some chipping paint on rear of house. Subject was built prior to 1978 so the FHA appraisal I completed was subject-to. The client asked me to switch to conventional and complete with an as-is value. Is this acceptable?
Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

It is acceptable, and it's between you and your client what you might charge for this new assignment (with a different scope of work).
Old 10-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

IMO, this is acceptable if the client orders a new appraisal (as the scope of work is now different) with a new effective date, new inspection and new fee. What you charge your client is a business decision on your part.

This is NOT acceptable if they just want you to change the report you have already delivered.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM

State: Wisconsin

I disagree. Yes, this must be treated as a new assignment, but you do not need a new effective date and new inspection. USPAP FAQ 173 states "A new assignment does not mean that you must start from scratch. You must decide the appropriate scope of work for the new assignment. This would include a decision as to whether or not it is necessary to perform another inspection" Changing the report date, but not the effective date should be sufficient.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM

State: Arkansas

Quote:
acceptable if the client orders a new appraisal (as the scope of work is now different) with a new effective date, new inspection and new fee.
wrong...although you could do it that way...
Quote:
Yes, this must be treated as a new assignment, but you do not need a new effective date and new inspection.
exactly....

And I would charge for my time to reappraise it. That's a business decision... when folks brag they can fill the form in 45 minutes, I don't know why they think they need more than that to change to report....so a modest fee of a couple hours by the hour would seem a reasonable assessment in most assignments.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrel L. Shields View Post
wrong...although you could do it that way...
exactly....

And I would charge for my time to reappraise it. That's a business decision... when folks brag they can fill the form in 45 minutes, I don't know why they think they need more than that to change to report....so a modest fee of a couple hours by the hour would seem a reasonable assessment in most assignments.

AGREE.....
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM

State: Massachusetts

If it's the same effective date, I would not charge anything more for this new assignment. The original invoiced amount would stay.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 PM

State: Other Non-US

Hmmmm ... We should have some fun with this. Ok then, the same prior effective date is just fine and there is very little work to do. All because we have a FAQ to point to.

What if the original appraisal effective date was 10/05/2004?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdfenton View Post
I disagree. Yes, this must be treated as a new assignment, but you do not need a new effective date and new inspection. USPAP FAQ 173 states "A new assignment does not mean that you must start from scratch. You must decide the appropriate scope of work for the new assignment. This would include a decision as to whether or not it is necessary to perform another inspection" Changing the report date, but not the effective date should be sufficient.
You're free to do so, but since I don't know the reason for the change in the assignment, and it is MY license on the line (and therefore my decision to make), I feel more comfortable performing a new inspection. If the client doesn't like it, they are free to hire another appraiser to deliver an appraisal which meets their new assignment conditions.

I guess being a jaded New Yorker has taken its toll on me.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM

State: Wisconsin

I don't think there's anything wrong with charging for it (I wouldn't), but I just wanted to make clear its a business decision and not a compliance issue
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread