Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Thumbs down Apex for Mobile

I was hoping that the new MS Mobile 7 would work with the Disto blue tooth and Apex Mobile, BUT I JUST GOT my HTC HD7 T-Mobile phone, and it does not seem to, Window mobile 7 is light years behind as far as user control goes.

FHA Steve
Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

FHA Steve,

No program written for Windows Mobile (i.e. WinMo 6.5.x and earlier) works under WP7. The languages, etc. are completely different... It is expected that the 4 or 5 year old MobileSketch (i.e. v2.x) would not run on a WP7 device, just as Pocket TOTAL will not run on them, nor any other programs written for the earlier OS and devices.

The first WP7 devices and applications are more "social" by design vs. "enterprise" or business-oriented, much like the early iPhones. MS has stated this as a goal, though we are seeing a few of the more horizontal apps commonly used by business folks starting to appear or be announced. Obviously, programs like "Office" will be there, but it will be a while before you start to see specialty apps, especially for relatively small markets like the valuation field.

As far as your "user control" comment, help me understand better what your frustration is all about. Are you comparing things to an earlier, more stylus-centric device (i.e. WinMo x PPC or phone), an iPhone, Blackberry... ?

FWIW, I'd have no problem doing a MobileSketch product for WP7 if there is sufficient interest from the appraisal community - I just need to know there IS interest ;-) I happen to like (admire) WP7 and while I shun most of the "social" apps/networks/etc., I believe MS is on the right track as far as recapturing some lost market share in the mobile phone spectrum. I don't think we'll actually see the environment hit a good stride until sometime approaching next spring.

Anyway, I am curious - why did you select the HD7 and T-Mobile? Was it the device specs, the network (already a customer, switched to get this particular device), or what? Some of my employees are debating these issues themselves but they are either geeks, salespeople, or admin types - none are appraisers, and I am more interested in the appraiser viewpoints than what non-appraisers thing. Any info you can share is both interesting and helpful to me.

TIA for your time and opinion(s)...

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

[Edit] PS - Congrats are in order for being able to snag an HD7 at all - they are very difficult to obtain in most parts of the country. Also, FWIW, we will release a new, updated MobileSketch v2.x which includes support for the DISTO D8 as well as some "rogue" A6's very soon - as soon as the customer who requisitioned the work signs off on it. This particular build is for the older OS - i.e. WinMo v6.5.x, not for WP7, but the free update may be of interest for those who need the added functionality, etc. Again, I'd have no problem doing a "MobileSketch for WP7" if there is interest, but most of our "mobile" development efforts are driven by input from users in other countries where they are considerably more entrenched/comfortable with the mobility aspects - i.e. it is normal and typical for them there vs. being "fringe" here in the US/Canada. For them, "desktop" is very "antiquated"... I expect a request any day now for a WP7 version of Apex now that the devices are actually out in more places. Funny, they always seem to wait until the devices are out before they start scrambling for software, LOL. Of course, we wait for requests from the user base before we commit to developing something - kind of like a Chicken and Egg thing, I suppose... Anyway, this is NOT a product announcement at all, just my opinion that it would not surprise me to be working on a WP7 version sooner than later, so deploying a US version would be (mostly) an easy "tweak" assuming we had users here requesting same. -Randall Garrett-

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 11-09-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added "PS"
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Randall - thanks for the quick response. I chose WP 7 because I thought that it would be backwards compatible, like XP, Vista and Win 7. Sadly, I was mistaken. I have been trying to upgrade my phone to an I-Phone type of device that supported Windows programs like APEX, Assorted Games, MPEG Viewers, USB Modem for tethering without a monthly charge, and many other misc. Apps that I have collected since I traded my Palm Pilot for a Windows Smart phone. (seems like eons ago).

My current PPC 6800 has not been upgraded for about 3 or 4 years. I used to get a free upgrade every year, but they (Sprint and MS Mobile upgrades) stopped that. I thought as software was upgraded new features were added, but with MS Mobile incarnations, sadly that is not the case in my opinion.

I remember my first Mobile OS system had a easy as pie back up system, which backed up everything to easy to reload recovery files accessible on the PC as well. That went away after the next upgrade and was contracted out to a 3rd party who charged $30 for the feature that was removed and now needed to be added and paid extra for.

I might buy it again, if users are allowed to have access to the OS, and load their own programs, but would go with the ATT version that at least has decent speakers.

Thanks for you quick response.

FHA Steve

Yes, I like to add and remove mobile programs as I see fit, not as MS has to sell me in their Zune App Store. I am returning my HD7, and will pay my $10 restocking fee as a lesson to me to do better research. I had thought that with the I-Phone success Balmer was going to out fox Apple, sadly I was wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Garrett View Post
FHA Steve,

No program written for Windows Mobile (i.e. WinMo 6.5.x and earlier) works under WP7. The languages, etc. are completely different... It is expected that the 4 or 5 year old MobileSketch (i.e. v2.x) would not run on a WP7 device, just as Pocket TOTAL will not run on them, nor any other programs written for the earlier OS and devices. I liked the Social aspect, and the large screen, and have been waiting for MS to get back in the Mobile Game. I am very disappointed and will be quickly returning my WP7.

The first WP7 devices and applications are more "social" by design vs. "enterprise" or business-oriented, much like the early iPhones. MS has stated this as a goal, though we are seeing a few of the more horizontal apps commonly used by business folks starting to appear or be announced. Obviously, programs like "Office" will be there, but it will be a while before you start to see specialty apps, especially for relatively small markets like the valuation field.

As far as your "user control" comment, help me understand better what your frustration is all about. Are you comparing things to an earlier, more stylus-centric device (i.e. WinMo x PPC or phone), an iPhone, Blackberry... ?

FWIW, I'd have no problem doing a MobileSketch product for WP7 if there is sufficient interest from the appraisal community - I just need to know there IS interest ;-) I happen to like (admire) WP7 and while I shun most of the "social" apps/networks/etc., I believe MS is on the right track as far as recapturing some lost market share in the mobile phone spectrum. I don't think we'll actually see the environment hit a good stride until sometime approaching next spring.

Anyway, I am curious - why did you select the HD7 and T-Mobile? Was it the device specs, the network (already a customer, switched to get this particular device), or what? Some of my employees are debating these issues themselves but they are either geeks, salespeople, or admin types - none are appraisers, and I am more interested in the appraiser viewpoints than what non-appraisers thing. Any info you can share is both interesting and helpful to me.

TIA for your time and opinion(s)...

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

[Edit] PS - Congrats are in order for being able to snag an HD7 at all - they are very difficult to obtain in most parts of the country. Also, FWIW, we will release a new, updated MobileSketch v2.x which includes support for the DISTO D8 as well as some "rogue" A6's very soon - as soon as the customer who requisitioned the work signs off on it. This particular build is for the older OS - i.e. WinMo v6.5.x, not for WP7, but the free update may be of interest for those who need the added functionality, etc. Again, I'd have no problem doing a "MobileSketch for WP7" if there is interest, but most of our "mobile" development efforts are driven by input from users in other countries where they are considerably more entrenched/comfortable with the mobility aspects - i.e. it is normal and typical for them there vs. being "fringe" here in the US/Canada. For them, "desktop" is very "antiquated"... I expect a request any day now for a WP7 version of Apex now that the devices are actually out in more places. Funny, they always seem to wait until the devices are out before they start scrambling for software, LOL. Of course, we wait for requests from the user base before we commit to developing something - kind of like a Chicken and Egg thing, I suppose... Anyway, this is NOT a product announcement at all, just my opinion that it would not surprise me to be working on a WP7 version sooner than later, so deploying a US version would be (mostly) an easy "tweak" assuming we had users here requesting same. -Randall Garrett-
Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 PM

WP7 does not even have a memory expansion slot, where does ML do you focus groups, on monkeys?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Most of the WP7 devices do, in fact have a memory card slot. The proper use of them varies a bit depending on the manufacturer, but they are mostly hidden away behind the cover. Mostly, phone type devices today do not have externally accessible/exposed card slots. You are just now starting to see them (re)appear in the mini-slates.

If you want a phone-size device, you might want to look into an Android phone as they tend to be more like the previous generation of phones with respect to loading what you want vs. being stuck in the typical "App Store" environment. Yes, Android has an App store environment, but it is not like the Apple type in the ways I think you are referring to.

Outside of that, you may want to look at something like the HP Slate 500 due out this month, if you want to run full Windows Apps on a 1.5 lb slate. Expect shipping delays as demand from business is high. Note, this is not a consumer device - it is for businesses. The major item it has over the others is both touch and pen as well as front and rear cameras. Most of our overseas mobile customers are going toward the mini slates due to then desire for more screen real estate than a phone offers and the ability to run their current "full Windows" software... We expect that the HP is just the first of the mini-slates to pop out of the oven between now and next spring. Some will be better than others for appraisers, while others will be better for more consumer type stuff - media, e-book reading, etc. Most will be in the 7" - 10.1" in screen size and about 1.2 lb to 2.2 lbs. The HP has an 8.9" screen and is quite svelte... Info: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/h...ngs-up-at-799/

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread