Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Florida
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Thumbs up "Thompson Broker"

Folks,

Has anyone approached their local Mls for a reduction in sales data fees. Due to the broker/appraiser favorable 11th court of appeals Thompson versus Metro Multi-List decision?

JS

(Thompson brokers are principal brokers who do not hold membership in this Association or any other REALTOR® Association. They do hold a valid real estate license. They are eligible to become Participants in the Multiple Listing Service. The term references the Eleventh Circuit Court ruling in Thompson vs Metro Multilist, Inc.)

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM

I have been a "Thompson Broker" through the Citrus Co. MLS for several years now. $35 / mo for data. Thats it. It also gives me reciprocal data for Marion and Hernando County though I do not service those areas.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Default ORRA Thompson Broker Info

This is from the application for Thompson Broker for ORRA/Mid-FL MLS:

�� Plan “A” This option does not include Public Records data; you will only have access to the active listing inventory database. Sold, Withdrawn,
Pending and Expired data is not available to Thompson Broker
Membership. Cost is $440.00 per licensee annual or $232.00 Semiannual.

This doesn't include the $125 start up fee.

----and here's the link.

http://www.orlrealtor.com/files/PDF/...apters6-10.pdf

In case anybody is wondering, it isn't any cheaper than the normal MLS fee and you don't get all of the data.

Plan B simply grants the ability to submit commercial listings.

I'm all for any ideas that help reduce MLS and ORRA fees. Anyone????
Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Make friends with a certifed general who has a full broker membership with the local realtor association. Ask him/her to allow you to sign up as an associate and only pay MLS dues, the same way any of his/her other associates inside the firm do. I do, and it costs me only $219 per year. Everything is up front and above board. Might help if you send some commercial business his/her way every once in a while.

As a one-appraiser shop, for many years I used to pay for both a full membership and MLS dues. Not very smart.

Last edited by Vetteman : 11-16-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 PM

OK - I hope I can remember how Mid-Florida treated me so I get it right. Per their MLS, in order to be a "Thompson Broker" with "them" I have to have a real estate broker's license - which I don't. I have a R.E. salesman's license. Citrus County let me join as a Thompson Broker with my appraiser's license and didn't care if I had a R.E. Broker's license - nor does Hernando County. MidFlorida said that I would have to join the Association of Realtors of "any" Florida association in order to qualify for their MLS.

This absolutely did not make sense to me. I opted to join Hernando, since that is where my office is, and then - and only then, would Mid-Florida let me join their MLS. That means I had to pay more, go through an orientation session required by the Association, pay National Association dues.....and THEN I had to take an online course from Mid-Florida before I could even use it!

I argued, argued, argued, enlisted the help of another appraiser, all to no avail, since that appraiser did get to join as a Thompson Broker since she had a R.E. Broker's license in addition to her Appraiser's license. They had many appraisers go down the same road that I did, but I needed Sumter County and that was the only place I could get it. I was told too bad so sad.

I actually believe that eventually all MLS systems will join together into one entity, but hopefully I will be retired by then. The only advantage that I could see in it is consistency in use.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if Brevard County acknowledges Thompson Brokers? I looked on line quickly but didn't find anything. We have one appraiser who does some work there & ORRA/Mid FL MLS doesn't incude Brevard.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 AM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Does anyone know if Brevard County acknowledges Thompson Brokers? I looked on line quickly but didn't find anything. We have one appraiser who does some work there & ORRA/Mid FL MLS doesn't include Brevard.
How does an appraiser do credible appraisals in Brevard County without legal access to the Brevard County MLS?

Sorry, sir, but this is what is wrong with appraising today. Your Brevard appraiser is clearly breaking the law by fraudulently somehow getting this data, and is most likely geographically incompetent to appraise in Brevard. Thank god many lenders are currently looking at requiring proof of geographic competency, usually by distance from the subject the appraiser is located, and proof of legitimate membership in an MLS board, so data is legally obtained.

In my humble opinion, you carpetbaggers need so stay in central Florida, OR play by the rules. I have seen some real stink, stank, stunk appraisal work form Orlando, Daytona, Indian River County, and even Tampa and Jacksonville appraisers, for properties in Brevard County, lately

I have appraised EXCLUSIVELY in Brevard full time for 30 years, and still do not know all of the intricacies of the market area. How can some snotty nosed kid with no local knowledge, and no MLS membership possible do a credible job?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Aw, come on Cog, how do you REALLY feel. Let it out man, you'll feel better.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
How does an appraiser do credible appraisals in Brevard County without legal access to the Brevard County MLS?

Sorry, sir, but this is what is wrong with appraising today. Your Brevard appraiser is clearly breaking the law by fraudulently somehow getting this data, and is most likely geographically incompetent to appraise in Brevard. Thank god many lenders are currently looking at requiring proof of geographic competency, usually by distance from the subject the appraiser is located, and proof of legitimate membership in an MLS board, so data is legally obtained.

In my humble opinion, you carpetbaggers need so stay in central Florida, OR play by the rules. I have seen some real stink, stank, stunk appraisal work form Orlando, Daytona, Indian River County, and even Tampa and Jacksonville appraisers, for properties in Brevard County, lately

I have appraised EXCLUSIVELY in Brevard full time for 30 years, and still do not know all of the intricacies of the market area. How can some snotty nosed kid with no local knowledge, and no MLS membership possible do a credible job?
This guy with an Orlando address graduated from Palm Bay High School and lived at least for 10 years in Brevard. Not all of us are carpet-baggers.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post

Ouch...You made an unwarranted assumption based on a few short sentences. The referenced appraiser is geographically competent and the circumstances prompting my question are unique, not reflective of a carpetbagger moving into unfamiliar markets. I appreciate your frustration but your description of a snotty nosed kid providing stink, stank, stunk appraisal work does not apply to all appraisers and most certainly, not to the referenced appraiser. There are still a number of professional, credible, experienced appraisers alive and working in Florida today. I'm glad to have provided you with an opportunity to get all of that off your chest though!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread