Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Any recommendations for mobile device to run apex nexus?

Dropped my pda today and the screen cracked. Looking to purchase a mobile device that is not too large, which can run apex nexus. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Hi MZ,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been out of town and this site is not very mobile friendly, so I don't check it often when I only have my minimum spec machine with me...

Anyway, FWIW, we sometimes have last year's new Motion C5 units (10.4" screen) for $799 with Auto charger/adapter for $799 + shipping, and some refurbished Motion LS 800 units (8.4" screen) with extra battery and Auto charger/adapter for $699 + shipping.

These are both proven performers and business class (semi-rugged) vs. consumer class (more fragile). You can Google both the C5 and LS 800 to get more info.

The only other device I know of in the sub-$1,000 class you might want to take a look at is the new HP Slate 500 at $799, but those are just coming out and I have no user feedback on them yet. They are in very limited supply at the moment, so might not be obtainable before close to the end of the year. I liked the engineering sample I had for a bit, but I always reserve judgment until I have a real shipping unit to put through the paces before I give a yea or nay for appraisers/inspectors. Ours in due in a few days and I should have a recommendation within a week or so.

Other than those, if your like a convertible type unit I would recommend looking for a deal on something like a Lenovo X60 or X61, maybe an X200. I have had both and liked them well for what I do. The current model (X201) is great but runs closet to $1,800 - $2,200 in the "trim" I recommend. I always recommend a decent indoor/outdoor screen.

If you let me know more what you are looking for, I am happy to offer more advice.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Does the C5 or Ls800 have a built-in camera? I appreciate your help on this.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Yes, it does. Note, the C5 was designed for clinical work - hence its off-white sealed construction, built-in barcode reader, camera and handle. The F5 is the design for non-clinical work and is virtually identical in most respects except for the color. The newest F5's have many other enhancements but then they are much more expensive. I believe if you look back here on the Apex forums, you may find a few people who gave some feedback on an earlier batch of C5's we found and sold.

Anyway, here is a link to their site and more info: http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_c5.asp
There are other sites that have more detailed info, easily found via a Google search. You may want to look on YouTube.com for the water and drop test videos, too.

FWIW, our full retail HP Slate 500 came in while I was away, so I will be putting it through its paces this weekend. It may take the following week, though, before I get enough info compiles and have the time to put something concise but meaningful together on it.

I want to remind you that I am not recommending any particular device over your own research and careful thought about what works best for YOU. You mentioned your old PDA gave out on you, so it it also safe to assume you were using our old MobileSketch on it? If so, and you were relatively happy with it, you might consider just finding a good used HP hx4700 or hx4705 PDA for the time being so you can keep pumping out the work while you research. I expect the landscape to change with regard to typical and small, light Tablets fairly significantly between now and next spring.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM

My screen on my pda is cracked, but I can still use it. I will look into getting the c5 after the holidays. The c5 with apex nexus lets you take field notes too and import into aci?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM

MZ,

Understood on the PDA. Question - does "after the holidays" mean before the end of the year so you can write it off, or just sometime in the next month or so? These "new/old stock" C5's availability comes and goes and once I see what is coming out at CES, my recommendations for when to pull the trigger may change... In the interim, I still suggest keeping an eye out for a killer deal on an HP hx4700 or hx4705 - probably the best PDA for MobileSketch ever made, and getting a deal on one may be your best move as an interim solution IMHO. Something like that should run you about $125 or so if it is in good shape. If you are interested and cannot find one, I may be able to find one in our stash of old "keeper" PDA's we use for testing that our QA guy might let go.

[Edit] Don't know which PDA you are currently using, but just in case this helps, I added a comparison screen shot below, depicting the difference seen in a typical low resolution PDA (3.5" screen @ 240 x 320 resolution) vs. a 4" high resolution (480 x 640) screen like on an hx4700/hx4705. The sketch file is completely unaltered - just a sample sent from a user back when we were beta testing an early build of MobileSketch back in 2005. I chopped off the keypad since we were not finished/ready to show that part yet back then. I made this shot to illustrate why I was encouraging users to consider a high resolution screen, nothing more. Hope this helps.

As far as Nexus integration with ACI, they have not shown an interest in integrating directly. Wish they would, but alas, it does not seem that they have any real interest or vision in that regard. That said, this is nothing new and we designed Nexus to integrate with Apex Medina from the get-go. So, the way you would use it is to do the sketch and note items with your tablet in the field with Nexus. When you launch Apex Medina from within your ACI program, Apex has a menu item to import the Nexus file. Not too difficult, but we'd rather ACI just integrate directly... Anyway, the sketch files can move back and forth between Apex and Nexus, so you can also take an existing Apex file out into the field with you if you have a re-inspection or want to use an old sketch file as a "template" for a similar or nearly identical property and just make changes vs. create from scratch. You may wish to attend a free Nexus webinar to learn more, see it in action, ask specific questions, etc.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Hi Randall. Sent you a pm about the pda. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Hi MZ,

Just answered.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread