Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Review
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM

State: Massachusetts
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Wrong form?

Doing a review in which a general appraiser did a 6 unit on the 1025 form. I know a 71b would be the way to go but what is the best way do you think to address it in the report (2000)
Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Wrong Form

Also there is no real development of the income approach which in this market/property is driven by income.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I don't have a clue...

...but can a certified residential review a 6 unit property?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
...but can a certified residential review a 6 unit property?
That was my question too. Assuming, of course, that you aren't doing it in conjunction with a CG.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM

State: Texas

Would you not need the form 2000A? I am doing one right now and the lender has requested that since the OA was completed on the 1025 (2-4 Family/Duplex) that the 2000A be utilized for this purpose. (Review for 2-4 family) Maybe not though, since it is a 9 unit (?)

'Blessings'
Gregg
Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM

Default my fault

The appraisal was done by a cert gen. Prob not used to the 71B form. I am guessing the norm would be a narritive but the bank needed something in the resi family. I can understand the appraiser's mind set but it was not correct with the boundry of resi vs commercial. It is like doing a multi on a condo form....even worse really.... the income approach is an accurate and needed approach for this property. The value is not properly developed.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM

Default by the way

Yes it is on a regular field review form.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Fannie does not lend on 5+ unit properties, and thus their forms are not designed to deal with them. IMHO, it is inappropriate to use the 71B form to report a review, just as it is inappropriate to use the 1025 or 2000 forms to report an appraisal.

If this is a GSE loan, just noting that the property is 6 units is all they would need, because they won't be lending on it anyway.

I have come across similar situations with lenders, notably 5+ unit properties or certain residential properties in commercial zones. All I was required to do was check facts and note the use of the property. I never got into analysis or value, since that was outside the scope of my license. I could worked with a CG and done so, but it was a non-starter since they weren't going to lend on it anyway, nor wanted to pay the appropriate commercial fee.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM

Default I agree with that

But to clarify....we are doing a review on an appraisal (field review form 2000_05). The appraised property is a six unit apartment done on a multi-fam form. I am stating that it should never have been done this way in the first place. Regardless of who they get to fund the loan, given its use the appraisal doesn't consider the income approach to value. I would be guessing why the appraisal was done on this form in the first place but want to cover my bases in filling out the review.
Jim
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

In my opinion and based on what you are stating, the issue is fundamental and simple: If the report did not include the income approach, then it is not credible.

If it were me, I'd state my conclusions and rationale (original report not credible due to lack of income approach), rate it "poor", and state that since the original report is not credible as-is, it is not sufficiently credible for the reviewer to use in order to conclude an independent opinion of value. I'd add the fact that the communication vehicle (the form used) is not consistent with or designed for the property being appraised, and this inconsistency adds to the non-credibility of the report and its results.

Review conclusion: Original report is "poor quality" and cannot be relied upon for review valuation purposes; no review value conclusion possible.
Case closed.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread