Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Gym
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default The never ceasing downward slide of our food chain

It appears that a team of mad men in white lab coats, adorned possibly even with chef hats, are in the process of creating yet another Frankenstein derivative of our "food supply" that will make even today's fast food seem like 5 star Michelin cuisine. It appears these mad scientists are getting bored being stuck within the confining realm of conventional fast food and are now looking to push the boundaries of what we call "food" yet again to a place that is even hard to imagine without being fully intoxicated or.....quite frankly, MAD...

The name for the beast is proudly touted as the "Food Printer"!

Yes, that's right!

I suppose, if one day you were in a bind and your laser or ink jet failed just at the wrong moment, you could send the print job to your kitchen to do your appraisal report in strawberry shortcake, or possibly, Chicago style pizza.

You may ask, whom is funding this diabolical research? Unfortunately, they never divulge the deep pockets behind these covert research activities, but one only needs to consider whom would benefit: Pharmaceutical companies, yes. Chemical companies, yes, fast food companies, maybe, nuclear waste facilities, hopefully not, future soilent green facilities, hopefully not.............

Anyway, you have been warned and should you wish to spy your eye upon a few more details, you can find them here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12069495

PS: Just remember to fill your food printer before the holidays for a wonderful festive holiday meal!
Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 PM

State: California

Reminds me of the meals that they used to serve on Star Trek......What will I do with my bbq???

Shhh... My common sense is tingling!
COMMON SENSE: So rare, it's a super power.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:37 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

That reminds me of Old MacDonald's Farm.

Old MacDonald had a farm
E I E I O
And on that farm he had a squirt
E I E I O
Here a squirt, there a squirt
Everywhere a squirt squirt
Old MacDonald had a farm
E I E I OOOOOOOOOO

Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDoran View Post
Reminds me of the meals that they used to serve on Star Trek......What will I do with my bbq???
Ah, yes, the ubiquitous "Food Replicators" found in science fiction. However, there is a big difference between a "Taste Replicator" and a "Food Replicator", since the former is a farce and the latter is a complete 3D molecular and atomic replica, down to the most minute component found in the natural product and its resulting hybrid after cooking or preparation. That is something that our science couldn't possibly make a reality until the distant future. We don't even understand what's entirely in the foods we eat, let alone "replicate" them. Discoveries regarding food components are made all the time, one by one. Even an apple has so many different variants, each with its own particular makeup, which would also vary by region and farm, etc.

I think a true "replicator" is OK, but it is only a concept not something we will every get close to achieving for a very, very long time - if humans survive so long.

I think computers will have to design such machines (without flawed humans intervening) - the thinking computers of the future. It will always be an approximation, like using a duplicating Algorithm, you only go out to so many factors and then cut off the replication until a sufficiently comparable item is made that the human mind or senses cannot differentiate from the original. Later, more and more components will be added (more factors added to the Algorithm), until eventually every flavor, textural and nuturitional component, every molecule and atom in the same 3D arrangement is reproduced - a nice concept, but so unbelievably out of reach.

The other problem with this idea is that a true "Food Replicator" would improve our food supply, which goes against the basic trend we are experiencing with increasing world population. There is some disconnect between what we hope for and how things really go, which is normally down hill, to something of lesser value or quality. I would guess, we would have to put expensive " complex matter" into the replicator to re-arrange that matter in a new way to make a replication. The "feed matter" will likely be too expensive for most.

Last edited by prasercat : 12-24-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 PM

It's time for yet another installment of .....

For all those breakfast cereal fans being tantalized by wholesome fruit depictions...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011...-as-real-fruit

But have no fear, the FDA is being butt kicked into action by concerned citizens to get out their magnifying glasses and law books.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM

And I was just out looking at a Meyer Lemon tree - I want to start growing some food in my backyard. Yummmmmm, SoCal weather, and sweet 100's are already at the nursery!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
And I was just out looking at a Meyer Lemon tree - I want to start growing some food in my backyard. Yummmmmm, SoCal weather, and sweet 100's are already at the nursery!

Man, if I lived in SoCal, I'd live in a green house. If I was watching TV, I could reach up and pull down a ripe peach or an avvocato. I'd have palm trees in the living room and and herb garden for my pantry. I'd have citrus trees and grow succulent vine ripen tomatoes....ahhhh!

Ok, I can't even grow a catcus in the house where I live, there is no light, I'm at 7,000 feet elevation and the dirt is acidic from all the evergreen trees.

For now I'll live vicariously through you!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Cat - If I ever won the big lottery, I'd get a place on the beach and a farm in the valley, hire some friends who love to garden to grow all my produce and have it delivered to my once or twice a week. They could to what they wanted with the rest of the produce. White peaches, red leaf lettuce, avocados, oranges, meyer lemons, strawberries, yada yada, of course, all organic.

People on the forum love to make fun of California, but you can't beat it when it comes to fresh food! We had 7 different kinds of tomatoes last summer. Yum!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
Cat - If I ever won the big lottery, I'd get a place on the beach and a farm in the valley, hire some friends who love to garden to grow all my produce and have it delivered to my once or twice a week. They could to what they wanted with the rest of the produce. White peaches, red leaf lettuce, avocados, oranges, meyer lemons, strawberries, yada yada, of course, all organic.

People on the forum love to make fun of California, but you can't beat it when it comes to fresh food! We had 7 different kinds of tomatoes last summer. Yum!

Do the people living in California ever set up farming cooperatives, where the owners own of a piece of the acreage and then pay someone for cultivating, some of which could be allowing them to farm a section just for themselves as payment? If someone had the land, it seems it could then be split off as more people came into the cooperative. It could be a more economical alternative with complete control over the cultivation practices and adhering to strick organic practices.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 AM

I'm not sure. I know there are coops where they deliver weekly, but you don't get to choose exactly what you get. You can ask for lettuce, but you can't say what kind. I'm pretty specific about what I want and when so I don't do those coops. I just found out about a nearby farmer's market, which I'll check out next week. There is so much food variety here, I can't wait to see what they've got.

Closed Thread