Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Post Mobile Sketch

12/28/2010

I have mobile sketch and use it with my Disto and Bluetooth, it works well. However, I am going to upgrade to a Smart Cell with Mobile 6.5. Is there a version of Mobile Sketch that works with Win Mobile 6.5?

I read this thread, but could not find any meaningful dates?

Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Steve,

Good news for you - the most recent update to the old MobileSketch supports WinMo v6.5... :-) We also added support for the Disto D8 for those who have one. The other enhancements were "under the hood" stuff - a tweak, bug fix, etc. - not really something you would likely notice.

Which new phone were you looking at getting? Let me know and I'll see if there are any known issues.

MobileSketch v2.8.1754.1 (10/21/2010) can be downloaded here: http://www.apexwin.com/us/index.php/...etch-pocket-pc
If you are doing regular fee appraiser work, you will want the "Standard" version - "Pro" is for Assessor types.

Let me know of any desired enhancements for MobileSketch. As I contemplate moving our more modern code from other industries over to a fee appraiser product - i.e. a "MobileSketch v4?", knowing what people actually want is helps me decide feasibility, possible release dates, platforms, etc.

[Edit] FWIW, unless you are sticking with WinMo, I would not be buying a new device until we all see what is announced at CES next week. I do not know of any "game changer" devices coming for WinMo, but new product announcements generally have the effect of lowering earlier models, so even if nothing new (enough) for WinMo is announced, there is a good likelihood that the device you have your eye on now will be priced lower very soon. I expect potential game altering devices to be announced at CES with target shipping dates by spring, mostly in the mini-Tablet class. This form factoir is most popular in other markets as users desire more screen real estate for drawing and data gathering activities. Mostly, users tell us they are sticking with their existing phones and adding an inexpensive mini-Tablet for work stuff. Seems that the 3.5" all-in-one type forms factor is "so 90's", LOL... i.e. too compromised. I agree...Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 12-29-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added [Edit]
Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM

Smile Appraiser - Real Estate

I was thinking, after doing research, that this might be the new phone for me.

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...ows-mobile-65/

What do you think, is there really a WinDroid phone, or is it an urban legend?

Thanks, Steve
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Post Ppc 6800

I have a PPC 6800 right now running WinMo 6.1,.

It looks like an antique, I am supposed to be a techy. (it is an antique) I run Skyfire on it, but these days the Skyfire server seems to be down a lot.

I have to change it to something more modern, and it cannot be WinMo 7 because you cannot, from what I saw, load any programs on it unless they come, or are bought from the WinMo 7 App Store.

I also have a program that I bought called USB Modem which allows me to use the phone as a Wireless Modem. I hope that ports from 6.1 to 6.5, hopefully, eventually, you will have a Droid Version of WinSketch, I just need it to talk to Bluetooth, so when I use my Disto A6 to draw on it in the field, it works.

Thanks, Steve

(what is the problem with a Disto A6? I thought I remembered a comment from you some where that Disto A6 units had some problem?) Thanks for the info about the timing and buying because of the trade show.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM

State: Louisiana
Default iphone, droid?

Duplicate post...

Last edited by RNMOVR : 12-29-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM

Smile RNVMOR - quick comment

Glad I got your post in my email because it is not in here.

I saw you comment about your clipboard.

Anyway, your colleagues would think my clip board is a super computer because it actually has a solar powered calculator with a battery backup built into the front of the clip for clip board calculations.

(I used to use it to square up the house before my Disto 6, Bluetooth and my Pocket PC Phone.)

Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 AM

State: Louisiana
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHA Steve View Post
Glad I got your post in my email because it is not in here.

I saw you comment about your clipboard.

Anyway, your colleagues would think my clip board is a super computer because it actually has a solar powered calculator with a battery backup built into the front of the clip for clip board calculations.

(I used to use it to square up the house before my Disto 6, Bluetooth and my Pocket PC Phone.)

I moved it to another thread that was more in-line with my query...
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 AM

Steve,

I think that phone has a low probability of giving you satisfaction, especially for sketching. I think you would find the screen too small and of inferior quality in outdoor conditions. MOST new phones for that matter are inferior to earlier PDA's which mainly had transflective screens. Modern phones mostly have inferior TFT LCD or OLED screens.
Why are you looking for a WinMo-Android switch-hitter? Are there some Android apps you want or just wanting to get on the bandwagon? I happen to like Android, personally, so no flames there from me, just trying to understand so I can offer pertinent advice.

I really think you should consider a mini-Tablet for sketching type stuff, email, some surfing, etc. due to the increased resolution and screen real estate. Go fondle something like a Galaxy Tab (Android) to get a feel for the form factor. We should see some price drop in the coming months and even better examples by this spring. I like the 7" – 10” form factor for lots of reasons. Look at a 2nd or 3rd generation Kindle if you want a feel for where I think the best of the next gen 7" tablets will be in terms of size, weight. A Galaxy Tab fits comfortably in your hand, back pocket, jacket pocket or most purses. Not dissing the iPad form factor - remarkable device for what it is intended for, and I personally own 3 of them... more than casually familiar with them... ;-) Anyway, shop, fondle and consider...

On the A6 issue, the "rogue" A6’s were ones originally destined for countries other than in North America, so you should not have to worry about that unless you got one from a questionable dealer/seller. You are probably referring to some comment I may have made about a problem (for ME, the developer) having to address different behavior in our software between North America units and those used by some customers we have in certain countries overseas.
Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 12-30-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM

I do not want to carry a tablet PC. Which phone do you recommend for a Smart Phone, that is windows based, and can run Mobile Apex along with other Windows Based Mobile Apps?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Hi Steve,

I think I understand your question and concern(s) but I still gotta ask if you have taken a look at any of the 5" - 7" mini-tablets currently out... This is merely a "form factor" question... their pricing this spring is likely to be practically the same as a regular phone. I am taking into consideration that your current device is functioning now, but it may seem old, clunky and near to be in "limp mode" (?) I simply want you to be armed with all the facts (and your own personal impressions) before locking yourself in, being that we are so close to some significant changes which may prove to be very beneficial to you...

BUT to answer your question most directly, the HTC HD2 is the only WinMo phone I personally have owned and used which is something I would consider an upgrade to your current device. I am not sure which carriers offer it, so that may be a consideration. This assumes that the phone functions are a major item in deciding. Otherwise, a good PDA like the last iPAQ or even a good refurbished HP hx4705 has the best performance for WinMo programs (sans phone/3G capabilities.) Most phone type devices have inferior glossy TFT screens to the earlier PDA's which had Transflective screens.

[Edit] - Note that the HD2 has a capacitive touch screen which is sort of "the thing" today. That means a regular stylus will not work as it is designed for finger touch. MobileSketch is designed for a stylus - tapping on the small KeyPad buttons) and even though the HD2 (and similar) devices have a great resolution of 480 x 800, the width still makes the keypad a bit small for finger tapping IMHO. The "solution" is to get a capacitive stylus. The good ones cost about $20...

So, unless your preferred (or acceptable) carrier offers the HD2, you would either have to get it "unlocked" (more pricey?), or select a different device. So, remind me, which carrier do you use/prefer?

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 01-20-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added [Edit]
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread