Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 AM

State: Utah
Professional Status: General Public
Default Open to below in the middle of the second floor

How do you insert an open to below area within an already closed area of the second floor? The second floor has 2 open to below areas with a walkway in between. We're trying to figure out how to put in the 2nd open to below area. We looked through the online manual but it didn't have anything for open to below. We have Apex IV ver 3.2.1367.1 Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have a good example of this but it's on my computer at my home office.

I draw areas of GLA in 4" wall thickness lines and use free form lines at 1" thickness to draw in the outer walls. Then I label these areas as "open to below."
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM

My problem is that I need to figure out how to substract that open to below square footage from the already closed area of the second floor. Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM

State: California

You could redraw the sketch so that only some areas are calculated. If you don't want to redraw the sketch then just trace the non-gla areas using the same area category (first floor for example, or second floor as the case maybe), go into the preferences and select "negative area" and make the lines invisible. Name it something that makes sense if you include labeled calculations.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Where do I find preferences? I didn't see it anywhere.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM

State: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy70 View Post
How do you insert an open to below area within an already closed area of the second floor? The second floor has 2 open to below areas with a walkway in between. We're trying to figure out how to put in the 2nd open to below area. We looked through the online manual but it didn't have anything for open to below. We have Apex IV ver 3.2.1367.1 Thank you in advance for any help.

from Apex IV V 2 online manual Pg 137 (in my PDF Version) - process might be the same in V 3

Creating a “Negative Area”

The uppermost area of the second floor is open to the floor below. This type of area is not considered to be livable area by most appraisers and, hence, should be excluded from the living area calculations.

Press
o to invoke the Define Drawing Area window, press x followed by e to draw another 2nd floor area.

Notice that the previous area (“Second Floor”) is displayed under the default prompt of the same name.

Overwrite the prompted name by typing in the name “Open to Below.” Press aN to make this new area Negative. Press e to accept the name and area type (Negative).

Enter in the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the negative area by typing “20 x 9.8” and press e.

The negative area will appear with the cursor attached in the upper left-hand corner.

Move the area so that it overlaps the matching section of the second floor and press e to anchor the area.

This technique may also be used to subtract stairwells, etc. from any defined area.

Notice, however, that both the 20' and the 9.8' dimensions are in the center of the area and are redundant.

While holding down your
b key, click on both dimension. This will highlight both dimensions. Release the b key and press c. You will be prompted to confirm the deletion of all selected items.

Press e to confirm and you will see the dimensions removed. Add the text Open to Below using the technique
discussed earlier. Press u to refresh the screen, using the Refresh Screen function.

in YOUR VERSION check the tool bar for HELP or ONLINE MANUAL.

Last edited by Mike Kennedy : 01-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

I used to do my drawing of those areas, by not including them in the drawing. Your sqft works out correctly this way. By backtracking on some of your lines you can effectively delete an area.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

I got it!! Thank you for your help. When defining the area go to the name tab and check the negative calculations box. Then draw the area and it subtracts it from the gla. WooHoo. We have been trying to figure that out for years.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

And they say guys don't read instructions!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM

State: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy70 View Post
I got it!! Thank you for your help. When defining the area go to the name tab and check the negative calculations box. Then draw the area and it subtracts it from the gla. WooHoo. We have been trying to figure that out for years.

you're welcome.

Closed Thread