Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM

State: South Dakota
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default Forced to join board of realtors for $576 a year?

Just became state-registered and received a call from the local board of realtors informing me that I am required to join the board at a fee of $576 a year just to be able to access the MLS system. The MLS system is an additional $35 a month. Why do I have to join the board of realtors if I'm not a realtor? What do you guys pay? Were you required to join the board?
Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

It seems like they should have an appraiser affiliation option. None of my MLS systems require NAR affiliation. But you do have to have MLS board membership. Typically there is an initial fee for set up that could be as much as $500. But it's a one time fee. Some MLS boards do not have a set up fee.

$35 per month for MLS access is about right.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I was a member of six MLS boards in the markets I covered (thank goodness they recently decided to have reciprocal MLS-user rights).

San Francisco required that I join the NAR in order to obtain its MLS. Not only did I have to join, but I also had to take their ethics class and examination.

So, while many boards do not require one to join the NAR, I know of at least one that does. And, the rest require the appraiser to join the local boards; typically at a fee equal to what full brokers pay ($600 or so per year around here).
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM

State: Texas

I just paid my dues. We have dues for NAR (National Association of Realtors) of $115 per year, TAR (Texas Association of Realtors) at $112 per year, and GAR (Granbury Association of Realtors) at $150 per year. Then, there's quarterly dues for MLS access and a Supra key of: $135 quarterly with an additional $5.85 quarterly processing fee or $563.40 per year total for that. That's $940.40 per year, just to use MLS! However, without it; in a non-disclosure State, I'd be toast.

So, I wouldn't cry too quickly.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM

State: Nebraska

Yes, I was required to join and I just paid another annual membership fee of $499. The monthly MLS fee here is $52.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM

State: Arkansas

Pay to play. When I started we were treated as associates and charged $5 a month. Those days are long gone. I think $385 + $300 or so...we pay annual not monthly and 6 mon. out of sync so that you will be guarenteed to lose 6 mo. benefits when you retire one way or the other.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM

State: Montana

Welcome to the easy money.

You will be a "Realtor". You will comply with the ethics provisions in addition to USPAP. You will take an ethics class every year. You can now defend yourself against a complaint by a realtor, or someone a realtor coaxes in writing a violation against you if you appraisal is "low"; in the front of the board as well as your State.

Keep sending money.

Yippe!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 PM

NAR is a member of NRA - they put a gun to your head and hold your career hostage for megabucks just because they have a monopoly on the data. It's ridiculous. I'm glad I no longer have to pay for MLS access.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Funny thing is, I never added it all up until now. I guess I should ask them if there is an "appraiser associate" fee as opposed to the standard fees. I'll thank you later if I save any cash.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM

You can be a Realtor without being a licensed Real Estate agent around here. So I am a member of the NREIS, but I don't have a real estate agent license.

Closed Thread