Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Just a Question / Comment - Field Sketching

I have tried to wrap my old and feeble brain around "sketching" in the field and all the answers i get are either fairly expensive or there seem to be glitches.

I don't really understand "apps" and how they function but I keep thinking that Blackberry is coming out with the new Playbook circa ~March?. Apparently it runs on some sort of tablet OS. So I wonder if / when /what and why would the appraiser want to go with this type device and how would that work? Would it run Apex? and what other uses could you have with the Playbook? Input in the field? Search comps on the MLS from the field? Substitute as a GPS?

I mean, really, does this save time enough to justify the expense?...and I am thinking from the perspective of a non-urban, non-secondary market viewpoint. My comps are freqently distant, difficult to locate sometimes.

My biggest concern is that the technology is so rapidly changing, one hardly has the wrapper off the package before it is obsolete and you have to relearn the whole thing. I went to ATT and looked at a smart phone, Samsung... Looks great, does great things... costs an arm and leg and then what have I got? An expensive phone with a $100 a month pricetag to boot? I kept my old dumb phone....which I can't do 1% of its capabilities. Am I just too much of a Luddite?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I got a Motion Tablet PC off of Ebay for $250 last year and I use it out in the field. I can use if for other things too. I have a Droid but I don't like to use it to surf the web as my eyes are getting bad the older I get. I tether my tablet or my notebook to my Droid and get online. It is much easier to read that way.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSW View Post
I got a Motion Tablet PC off of Ebay for $250 last year and I use it out in the field. I can use if for other things too. I have a Droid but I don't like to use it to surf the web as my eyes are getting bad the older I get. I tether my tablet or my notebook to my Droid and get online. It is much easier to read that way.
Exactly how I do it. But, when my motion dies, I'm going with a ipad. The screens on the smartphones are just too darn small. I used an HP4700 for years, and the tablet is sooooo much easier on the eyes.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

TLS,

The Playbook seems pretty awesome to me from my VERY limited exposure to it (under very controlled circumstances) but just how awesome it will in comparison to a whole host of slate type devices hitting retail in Q2 and Q3 remains to be seen. I like to wait until I see actual retail, shipping product before making a call. But, FWIW, with the Playbook specifically, the underlying preferred development environment means that most apps will need virtual re-writes to take full advantage of all that the Playbook brings to the table. We'll simply know more (vs. speculate) in a few months. In the interim, our take on the device might raise or lower depending on the details. I suspect we'll be at about 75% confidence on facts within 60 days...

RSW, TW,

FWIW, we should all see a handful of viable slates, plus a few convertible type devices this spring which may be of interest to the vast majority of appraiser types. There will be many, many more which for various reasons are not first tier. From what I saw and from follow-up info, I expect those which will float to the top in the appraiser market will be in the 7" - 10" category, 1.4 - 2.1 lb range and fall into the $700 - $1,200 price bracket in "standard appraiser trim." (Base prices being in the $500 - $1,000 range.) Battery life should be in the (realistic) 6 - 9 hour range. Even Motion Computing has a model out soon in this range. Point being, that IF you find the Android or Windows environment more suitable to your particular situation, you can look forward to choices by this spring which in many ways are very similar to the iPad in most ways that seem to matter to appraisers. Note, I am NOT knocking the iPad - I own a few myself. I just want folks to know that there will be real choices in a very few months and I urge people to wait and see what shows up before making a decision based on speculation. I will be compiling a comparison chart of the devices I find to be most compelling for appraisers once I have hard delivery dates, pricing, and field trial stats. I envision something like the PDF I did for Appraiser Cameras, now buried several topics down here on the Apex section. (Reminds me that I need to update THAT, too, LOL)

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM

State: Florida

Thanks Randall
Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Good stuff...

Closed Thread