Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default MAI Comprehensive Exam Review Courses

Hi All:

I am an Associate member within the Appraisal Institute and have started to take steps toward my MAI. I spoke with them today and they had mentioned that there is an MAI named Ted Whitmer who holds seminars/review courses for the comprehensive exam. Has anyone heard about the course? Is it useful; basically I want
to know if its worth the time and money money to take it. Any guidance is appreciated!

Last edited by TianaR : 02-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM

State: Massachusetts

I was wondering the same thing... anyone order the study materials only from whitmer?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM

State: Texas

I know a guy that took it and it really helped him. I got the following e-mail today.....

We can make arrangements to offer Ted Whitmer's Comprehensive Review Course in the Jackson area June 12-15, 2011. These are the only dates that Ted is available before the Comprehensive Exam in late July.

Many of you have requested that we offer this course that is designed to help you make a passing grade on the Comprehensive Examination.

The registration fee will be $550.

We must have firm commitments from at least 20 participants in order to offer the course. The commitments must be firm and I have been instructed not to count maybe's, I'd like to attend, etc.

Please let me know by Tuesday, February 22nd.

Thanks,

Roy D. Caves
Mississippi Chapter
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM

State: California

I took Ted's course and it was helpful, but it's not for everyone. Ted's a very intelligent guy and tends to move very quickly. I liked him, but I think he can rub some people the wrong way. Just be sure not to bring up baseball or politics. :-)

By far the best part of the class are all of the sample questions you get. They give you an idea of the level of difficulty and complexity you'd expect to see on the comp. In the end, I passed all four modules, but Income portion twice. Best of luck to you on your MAI endeavor.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

State: Michigan

I took my USPAP instructor course with him, and I took his course to help me pass the comprehensive (which I did). I liked it, but it is not the end all for studying...you will need to use the Course materials from your classes to pass it with the practice tests Ted provided. Really you should plan on taking the course a week or two before the exam, you will forget a lot by the test day.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM

State: Idaho

Our Chapter of the Appraisal Institute sponsored Ted Whitmer's seminar "Attacking and Defending an Appraisal in Litigation," which received positive reviews from both appraisers and attorneys. He conducted his comprehensive exam workshop immediately afterward. I heard several comments that it was very intense and very helpful. See his website at
http://www.tedwhitmer.com/compworkshop.html
or
http://tedwhitmer.com/
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

State: Texas

I just ordered his materials and passed everything on my first try. If you can master the questions in his stuff, you should pass pretty easily. If you're still a little weak on all the math stuff, I'd go to the class. He's the best at just getting you to pass the test.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread