Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
Default I/O Error 103

When attempting to save a file I get the error posted in the subject and does not save the file. Does anyone know what this is?

Using Windows XP Pro
Apex Medina V4.3.1927.1

TIA
Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Caracadon,

That is a strange one - sounds like an invalid drive/location error or bad sector on the HDD, but I will check in the morning and reply. In the interim, try saving the file to someplace generic like your desktop, perhaps try "Save As..." or File/Export>File...

Are you running Apex in integrated mode or standalone? If integrated, which forms software. Some integrators gray out or hide some menu options during integration, so you may need to use an old "Power User" trick like pressing [F12] to get to a hidden function.

Let me know on that.

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM

I run Apex stand alone. I have tried saving it to my local machine; to a network drive; to a thumb drive; and just now to the desktop as suggested ,et al. All give the same error.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Caracadon,

This is a very unusual error, not reported before. As promised, I looked up the error code. It reports a cryptic:

I/O Error 103:
IO Error 103L
ERROR_TOO_MANY_SEM_REQUESTS
MessageText:
The semaphore cannot be set again.

103 "unformatted i/o not allowed"
The logical unit was opened for formatted I/O.

I think the "too many SEM requests" is more a "103L" code and the more likely "unformatted i/o not allowed" is the culprit. A 103L type error might be if you had too many files open or for some other reason the computer is running out of (internal, usually RAM) resources - not unusual under XP that may be aging or have "WinRot"... The "unformatted i/o" thing could be geek-speak signifying that the program is trying to write to a location that the OS is telling it is not valid. That is, it may physically exist, but for whatever reason Windows is blocking the file serialization (read, mainly "write") from being allowed. Result is you cannot save the file :-(

My opinion is that your OS is confused since you cannot save to alternate locations. If one sector on your HDD is bad (hope not), it is unlikely that alternate locations are also bad unless you are having MAJOR problems :-( Bottom line (and not trying to pass the buck!), this does not appear to be an Apex error, but rather a "system" error. As a result, your only option may be to reboot your computer (save all else first, if possible). You could try also saving all else except Apex files and simply turn off the computer. Apex has a built-in auto-backup process which is on by default in case you lose power. The settings are:
  • Never - not on by default
  • Area - every time a Defined Area is closed; and
  • Event - every time you draw a line, or something

If you lose power (or simply turn off the computer simulating a loss of power), Apex never gets a "File saved" message and keeps the AXB (back-up) file alive on disk. The next time you start up Apex, it should see that and ask you if you want to load that file. This fail-safe thing is rarely used in this day of UPS battery backups, but it is still there, so as a last ditch effort, you can try it. Of course, if the OS got confused before the AXB file was written, that would be a problem too...

Hope this helps! Hopefully you are not getting an early warning of impending system problems, but to be safe, I would do some system diagnostics ASAP. FWIW, an excellent and little-known utility to consider is SpinRite. It is a program that will essentially let you test and reformat/certify a drive without losing any data and is well worth the $50 or so IMHO. Published by http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

[Edit] - You may also want to try print to PDF as a way to save the file and paste it in to a report

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 02-23-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added [Edit]
Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 PM

The computer I am using is less than a year old; TriCore processor with 4gb of RAM. So, I think the memory and processor is sufficient to the task. And I am able to save files from other applications such as Office, Notepad++, etc. so maybe no boot sector issues?

I will try re-boot and see what shakes out...

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM

I think I may have found the problem. The error above is shown when attempting to save an empty file. In other words no sketches have yet been constructed. There are two errors because when saving a file, whether having sketches or not, two files are being saved: one *AX4 and one *.dxf.

Why does it save two files with one save function?

Also, will not try to save an empty *.AX4 again.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Ahhh, that is helping jog the old noggin...
I am guessing you are not a fee appraiser - maybe an Assessor, or Insurance type person (?) running v4.3 Pro. Those versions are a bit different under the hood...

Open up your Save As... dialog and see if the box for "Use Default Directory Settings" is checked. If so, un-check it and see if the error continues. It is possible that there is a conflict between this check box function and the ACTUAL settings in the Configuration dialog and/or the values written out to the config file itself. That issue was corrected in the upcoming Version 5, however I can have our QA manager send you a private EXE for v4.5 Pro which only certain of our Pro type Integration Partners deployed. You may want to check with your main program (i.e. CAMA?) software company first, though to verify that they are OK with you running a newer version. Just PM me to give me your contact info and I will have him contact you unless you just want to upgrade to v5 next month.

Gotta wonder - why are you trying to save an empty file in the first place? This does not excuse the error, I am just wondering why someone would do that... ;-) The better I understand a situation, the better I can guard against these types of errors by trapping them before they become a problem to an end user.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Not a fee appraiser. I am county assessor.

I unchecked the check box and still get the same two error dialogs.

Saving an empty file is a habit I picked up from other UI's: I start with saving and save intermittently throughout the session - a habit from windows 3.1 days I guess, when things would crash without warning and often.

It is not a problem now that I know what is causing it and it is not reasonable to expect saving an empty file.

We use Manatron Proval Cama and it is not associate to Apex. So, Apex is stand alone. I much prefer Apex and wish it were incorporated into Proval but alas it is not.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 AM

OK, makes more sense to me now ;-)

Nothing wrong at all with the old "Save early, save often" thing. Better safe than sorry. ;-)

FWIW, there is an Auto Back-up function for power outages, crashes, etc. The default should be set to save whenever you close a Defined Area, but you can change it to "Event", which is every time you (say) draw a line, place a text item, etc. Look on the Configuration dialog for the settings.

There is no technical reason your Apex cannot be integrated, but I understand the business reasons why it may not be. That said, you may want to experiment with the built-in Data Transfer function you already have in the program. It allows you to use Drag & Drop to copy/paste data from your sketches (sketch itself and data as desired) into a field in any Windows program that accepts a copy/paste operation - a sort of low end, home-brew light weight "integration"... You might find that it saves you some time, and it does not cost anything ;-)

Let me know on the v4.5 thing. Since you are not integrated, there is no reason not to use this version. It has some tweaks we added under a custom contract, as well as having addressed the issue you describe. It is a solid build, but we never released it generically since it does not conform to the "works with every Integration" profile due to the custom tweaks. This update is free to you.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread