Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Nexus questions.

I thought there was going to be a Nexus update in January or February. Any word on the update status?

Second, is there any way possible to create an icon in Nexus that allows the user to rotate symbols with the stylus pen? In stead of the time consuming manual rotation, just select the symbol and then hover it over the icon and click on it until it is rotate to the correct position.

I have timed myself and it takes longer to draw a detailed floor plan (which is what I do these days) using Nexus than it takes to draw by hand and then redraw into Medina. The major time killer is the manual rotation of symbols.

I realize this is not a common request, but since the desktop/laptop versions have the 'R' key, why not create something similar for Nexus?
Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

TG,

We will be pushing out Nexus v3 in a matter of weeks. It was held up by getting Apex v5 done, which starts shipping tomorrow. While I make it a policy to not talk about products that are not already shipping, I can confirm that the Symbol Rotation thing is already in there and seems to work well for the people using it in the field. You will, of course, see some more cool additions ;-)

More on this when we are ready to release it.

Sorry so brief - am late to a meeting on Apex v5.

Hope this helps for now!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 PM

What about adding more symbols? There are a lot of different size things, for example, showers. In the real world there are 3x3, 4x3, 5x3, 4x4, etc. In Medina, I can have a symbol for each one so I don't have to resize them. If I need a 4x3 shower, I just click on that symbol and I am good to go. But, in Nexus, when I try to put a 4x3 shower into a symbols folder it doesn't recognize it. I have loaded every one of my shower symbols into Nexus and they all revert back to 3x3.

Why won't Nexus accept the symbols sizes?

Why does Nexus not recognize the symbol name in the symbol list?

If I label a symbol "Shower 4x3" it shows up as 'Shower' in Nexus. Yet, Medina recognizes the name "Shower 4x3" and they are all AXP files so I don't get it.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Tyler,

The reason for your issue is probably just a minor programming issue in the very old v2 coding techniques. It has been addressed in Nexus v3. In the new version, you can use all of the old Medina Symbols AND the new ones. When you see the improvements you will find that the NEED for separate 3x3, 4x3, etc. files is greatly eliminated because they are so easy to resize on-the-fly, but you can still have them if you wish :-)

Nexus is not widely adopted here in the US, but it is used heavily in other parts of the world where their appraisal type users are considerably more mobile-aware than we are here. They have pushed the major changes in Nexus v3 and, as usual, I have added some of my own secret sauce to the core recipe... ;-). I predict you will really appreciate the significant improvements. More substance than "flash", but I have also thrown in some eye candy where it makes sense AND actuually makes everyday, real world usage better. Despite the changes to the GUI, you will not be alienated by it at all - you will instantly feel comfortable and be able to hit the ground running. That is a hallmark of these sort of changes I make - a user MUST be able to essentially use a new version "with their eyes closed" and not be distracted by a major change put in by advertising or artist types. New stuff, including enhancements should "just BE there" as if they had always been present, presented as logical and sensible extensions to the way you already work in my software. Radical changes, if present, have to be worth the effort for a user, so they are rare. I am an ex-appraiser of 20+ years myself and I know how we are sometimes resistant to change. We want IMPROVEMENT, but we also want things left alone... ;-)

If you would like to do a free Webinar on Nexus v3, watch the website for announcements of same. Note that all the "buzz" and attention over the next few days is on Apex v5 as the first NEW version in over 4 years is shipping today. Nexus, which has even more enhancements, is scheduled to get it's day in the sun during April... Followed by a rapid series of other product announcements, only some of which are US Fee appraiser related.

I will go ahead and say it now - I have made the decision to modify our iPad and Android CAD programs used elsewhere, for appraiser use. I have to "de-tune" them some as they are far too robust (and geeky/complicated) for mainstream appraisal use and have to be tailored for the things and ways appraisers work, not CAD people. That said, the core capabilities are far beyond what all the other copy cat "sketchers" can do. My Android program can draw stuff none of the other full desktop programs can hope to handle - I know, I own them, too, LOL. Take a look at the screen shot on the Apex v5 page, showing a full apartment complex - that was all done in the fied on a mobile device and then brought in to Apex v5 for presentation and appraiser-specific repurposing, the "original" sketch is actually WAY more detailed. Any of the other programs would absolutely choke on just a portion of a sketch like that. Still, power without usability, or an out of sight price reflecting that power geared for a different market, is unpalatable, so I have to trim down the feature set and related pricing to match the US appraiser markets. That will take some time, but I think it is worth it.

Anyway, back to Nexus - once I get past the Apex v5 initial US launch, my attention is focused on Nexus and mobile products in general. I will be leveraging work done in other markets and bringing those items that have relevance into Nexus and our other products as best I can. Good things coming if you like this sort of thing. I am also timing the release to the availability of new generation devices for those who are fed up with the old, expensive and underperforming Tablet PCs of yesteryear. The first release of Nexus v3 (3.0) directly addresses existing users on existing and newly purchased devices, so it will release soon. We always must release new Apex and Nexus versions in quick succession since many people use them together or in tandem, so part of the delay in Nexus v3 has been simply waiting for Apex v5... Nexus V3.1, due late Spring, will be a significant update, likely worthy of being a "v4" for other people, but as usual, it will be a free update for existing v3.x users :-). I suspect you will find the items in v3.0 alone to be worthy of consideration, as they will immediately make your life easier, just know that more is coming and those further improvements will be a free update. Sign up for a webinar when available and decide for yourself.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

P.S. - Sorry for any typos and awkward grammar herein. Am responding on one of my Android tablets and tapping this out with one finger (coffee in other hand, LOL). This site is not very mobile friendly in that regard. I mark my posts with asterisks by the *company name* to signify mobile replies...

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 03-16-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Randall,

Yes, this is very helpful.

How does one go about becoming a Beta tester? I called to purchase Apex v5 today and when I inquired about Nexus 3 I was told that the current users were really happy.

I'm not sure if you are looking for more Beta testers but I can assure you....with over 400 floor plans a year I can put your products through some serious tests and give you feedback on a regular basis. Feel free to shoot me an email if that might be helpful to you. tylergrundvig@comcast.net

Thank you for your quick responses,

Tyler
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM

TG,

Glad to be of help! Ha ha on the salesperson response. It is merely evidence that I don't tell them much until I have something to show. Only the geeks in the back know what is going on in that department, and we're not all THAT bright, either ;-) Besides, when is the last time you had much faith in what a salesperson told you? "(inside joke on the traditional friction between a salesperson in an advocate role and an appraiser in an analyst role)

As far as beta testers, we always appreciate constructive criticism borne from real world input, so yes getting "in the club" is possible. Give me a little while to get past the Av5 launch items and a particularly tricky under the hood problem I am working on for a huge customer and we'll get with you on Nv3. It is out in field trials overseas as they are driving some of the items which affect the core engine stuff. After the next round, we will be stitching in the tweaks necessary to accommodate North American items before I try to sneak in some surprise additions for all. I will pass your contact info to Iain, who will contact you on the process of signing up, etc. Look forward to your input! Testing with a critical perspective for real throughput helps not only your own productivity, but helps make the product better for all!

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

[Edit] PS - Just noticed you are in the Springs - one of my favorite locations. I travel to CO several times a year to visit with business customers. In prior years, I did a few seminars for both mass and fee appraisers in various spots. Doesn't take too much to twist my arm to get me to fly or drive up, even to remote areas. Think I put about a million miles traversing back and forth on 24 and 9... Probably headed up there again soon. Maybe we can hook up and talk. My "fee" generally involves a burger and a beer ;-)

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 03-16-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Randall,

That sounds good. You know we have a Rudys here now, right? I have friends from Texas that have been telling me about Rudys for years....now I understand what all the fuss is about. I'm from GA, so I really miss good BBQ.

Next time you are in town just let me know and we can hook up. It would be nice to meet the man behind the curtain face to face.

As for Colorado Springs, I came out here from Atlanta for a job interview and I moved out here two weeks later....never looked back. I don't think I will ever leave this place.

Tyler
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 AM

Wow, a Rudy's fan! If you are ever down this way, I will take you to the original Rudy's. It is very close to my office in SA and we go there often. It is on the "must do" list for employees visiting from other countries. You'd think they had never had meat before. We always thought we were just being casual by going there. Who'da thunk it would become so popular? Still, I really enjoy my time in CO. Great people there. Let's plan something at a local haunt, something forward carrying locals. I usually stop in Raton when driving up, then take my time and enjoy stopping by to see friends as I snake up to Summit county for home base. Always enjoy Springs, but lately just end up passing through. Maybe I can bring some toys next time through. Not sure if I am next in Fort Collins or Estes Park so I may just fly up. Miss the days when Springs was the best airport to fly in and out of. Don't really like Denver airport, nor am I much on big cities. Ouray is a little remote for me except to visit customers and friends but I find your area to be very relaxing to the soul. Already feeling heart pangs about leaving, before I even get there again, LOL. You made a good move, as if you did not already know ;-)

As for meeting me, ask the locals - they may well advise not to rank it so high ;-). I do, however, put a lot of stock in face-to-face meetings and personal relationships. I am not an ephemeral kind of man... Have never done any serious business with anyone I have not met personally before, and my products are more near and dear to me than "business" stuff. Original Nexus beta folks were all people whose input I valued, personally and professionally and though the list is smaller now, I still feel beta folks are special. I believe one of the original members is still in your area, one was from Ouray, and a couple of counties up there are beta sites for our Assessor stuff. Maybe someone up there has a picture or two of us when I still had a little hair and a bit more grey matter at my disposal ;-)

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 03-17-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Typos again! Must be ME, not this POS capacitive screen keyboard ;-)
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread