Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

We've all taken some hard knocks on this forum. You have to have a tuff skin in order to survive here.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 AM

State: Kansas
Default Snivelers

Ya, that's the ticket. Come on here, insult people, and call them names because your iddy biddy feelings got hurt. Very impressive. I bet all the lenders and professionals from the industry that frequent this forum are impressed too?

You might want to look into one of those anonymous nics if you're going to have a meltdown before you make it to 5 posts.

Duck: I guess he didn't read your signature?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM

State: North Carolina

Ha! He called the duck a moderator edit.

Last edited by Michigan CG : 03-18-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Interpolation between the quality ratings is a given and there is instruction inside Marshall and Swift. Even our Assessor uses A, B, C, D, etc. and they do so with a A +10% or a C - 10%, 5%, 15%....

So two identical homes... one has central heat and air however, and the other has window airconditioner and space heat. One is "Average" and the other "Fair" quality? me no tink so.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM

State: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hicks (Texas) View Post
Timmy, you need to re-read or read for the first time the quality ratings and condition ratings.......
I have to admit it has been a long time since I have read those.

Quote:
....What you call average (-) probably falls under the "average" description. It does not mean there is not deferred maintenance.......
I would tend to agree with you. What I call Average- does fall under the "average" description. The Average- tells the reader that the home is average, maybe a little beat up, not as good as the others; an attempt to be descriptive and tell the truth.

Quote:
....It IS viewed as appraisers trying to avoid the use of the terms "fair, low and poor."......
No doubt that many use the "average-" to mislead because the mortgage broker can't sell a product where the subject is marked "fair". Another example of punishing the masses for the sins of the few.

Quote:
Many times in my years of appraising I have learned that the way I was taught or doing things were not proper or expected. I chose to learn and adapt to the proper way of doing things. .............The answer lies in the mirror, not by spouting BS on a public forum or by resulting in petty name calling like a third grader.

Quit being so proud and learn something for a change.....
Now don't get your feathers ruffles, there was no name calling. I will be the first to admit there is always something to learn, and I do, a lot, learn on here, as anyone would admit if they were honest.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM

State: California

We keep flip flopping between condition and quality ratings.

Agree with the duck. No fair using "+" or "-" in ratings. But I'm not sure it's always a case of not wanting to use the "f" word. What about when two houses are both in average condition or of average quality but one is a little superior or inferior? How does one describe it in the grid if an adjustment needs to be made? I know, describe it in the narrative comments. But it just looks awkward in the grid which is what everyone in the mortgage biz is looking at.

Last edited by CANative : 03-18-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark rebollar View Post
Whatever Hick....or whatever your name is (quite ironic considering where you are from), average negative is the condition just below average and above fair, if you dont like it then too bad douche. Dont rag on other people just because your old ass dont agree with it...hows your stars doing huh? Kopitar owns your ass!
This is a professional forum where people share as professionals. Please treat it as such.

Moderator.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM

State: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan CG View Post
This is a professional forum where people share as professionals. Please treat it as such.

Moderator.

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative View Post
We keep flip flopping between condition and quality ratings.

Agree with the duck. No fair using "+" or "-" in ratings. But I'm not sure it's always a case on not wanting to use the "f" word. What about when two houses are both in average condition or of average quality but one is a little superior or inferior? How does one describe it in the grid if an adjustment needs to be made? I know, describe it in the narrative comments. But it just looks awkward in the grid which is what everyone in the mortgage biz is looking at.
To further this thought the ethical are being punished by some who avoid using "fair" for a condition because of pressure.

Yes the duck is most likely right technically.

To me it seems misleading (hey duck see USPAP line 153 "....in a manner that is meaningful and not misleading.") to say a property is average without noting that the "average" condition is not "as average" as the other properties.

Two weeks ago we had a house that was for the most part average although it was beat up. Carpet had a few stains, people painted the doors a flat white and got paint all over the hinges. The cabinets had some nicks and bangs, that garage door was fixed by someone who apparently had one too many Budweisers.......it was average but in a beat up sort of way.

Average - fit the property well. It was all cosmetic and $1-2,000 and it is just like the others.

Thank goodness it was a private party appraisal on GPAR so I didn't break any sacred ratings rules.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM

State: California

Just put a * in front of Average.

In a SOW addendum include this:

*Average designates a wide range, from average(-) to average(+), as illustrated below. The appraiser may have sufficient information to grade condition of comps more precisely than the preferred responses of Good, Average, Fair, & Poor.

If there is a positive condition adjustment in the comparison grid for one comp marked Average and no adjustment for another comp marked Average, the adjusted comp was really rated Average or Average(-), but the appraiser couldn't disclose it that way in the grid due to some data mining related rule based upon a Fannie Mae guideline.

Why not rate them like bond tranches?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread