Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default FHA Guidelines-Gas Stub in middle of Patio

Greetings,
I am appraising a newer home in Stockton, CA. Two things I am pointing out for FHA "repair":

Unsecured 220V line; the main line is not secure and the wires are exposed with the twist caps.

Then there is a gas line stub in the middle of the patio. It has the shut off valve and endcap, but can easily be turned on.

These are for what appears to be an unfinished outdoor kitchen; I should definitely call out the gas line stub right?

It only has a rubber cap on it right now; short of removing the entire gas line and tearing up the nice new patio, what repair should I recommend?

Remove shutoff valve and install hard cap? Stub would still be sticking out, would you recommend placing a wooden structure over it?

Shut off gas, then cut line at concrete and cap/fill?

Getting my feet wet here with FHA, sorry for the FHA question.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 PM

State: Florida

Why are appraisers responsible for this? Maybe the owner will want to finish the outdoor kitchen? It has a shut off, so I don't understand why anything else is required? How about a lock on the shutoff it's that dangerous.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abester View Post
Why are appraisers responsible for this? Maybe the owner will want to finish the outdoor kitchen? It has a shut off, so I don't understand why anything else is required? How about a lock on the shutoff it's that dangerous.
The classes I took strongly advised that FHA is concerned with anything that is a safety or structure issue.

The gas line as is right now could easily be turned on with the valve by a child.

Same thing with the 220V line, all it would take would be a curious kid to take the twist caps off and get electrocuted.

This is a purchase and an AS IS appraisal. Right now, AS IS is HAZARDOUS.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM

State: Florida

A kid can make anything dangerous. It has a shut off valve. The easiest fix, if it's the appraiser's business, is to require a lockable shut-off.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

You need to report what you see. I would be careful with suggestions on the required repair, particularly when you start talking about taring up the patio etc. Are you sure that there is not another valve installed before the line goes under the patio?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I wouldn't condition for removal. I would condition for it to be capped off though. That way, whether the valve is turned on or not, no gas can escape.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:29 PM

State: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
I wouldn't condition for removal. I would condition for it to be capped off though. That way, whether the valve is turned on or not, no gas can escape.
Ditto on a "Hard" cap on the end. BTW, are we talking black pipe or flex? If flex, then there is an issue about it being properly secured.

OP, I too would condition the 220 line. Recently had a very similar situation.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM

State: Colorado

Make them tear the house down so there isn't any hazards!

Seriously, Note it, take a picture of it, and let the underwriter decide what needs to be done.

Repeat after me...."I am an appraiser, I am not a home inspector, I am not the permit police, and I am not a code enforcement officer".
Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I did not mean to sound like I was going to tell them to tear up the patio.

As recommended, I just report what is there and discuss possible solutions to current conditions that do not meet the FHA guidelines. That way the UW has an idea of what the repairs would cost.

The gas line is a hard line with a valve, a simple cap will solve the problem of any unwanted leaks/EXPLOSIONS.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM

is it a trip hazard?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread