Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Illinois
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Cool Question of Professionalism

Is it unprofessional for an appraiser to bill an AMC client for time lost after 10 attempts over 3 days to explain the new Admin Rule 1455.250? Keep in mind that the AMC was cautioned (in an e-mail) that satisfactory explination was provided, any additional clarification should be persued with the IDPFR and any additional attempts would result in said AMC being billed for time lost.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM

It does get frustrating, doesn't it?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Yes it does!

I followed through. When I sent the invoice, I was asked if I thought this was all a joke & accused of being "unprofessional"
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM

State: North Carolina

Are there any Professional Etiquette Rules for appraiser's? Don't look for any in USPAP.

Do you really expect they would pay you? Do you think they would have a good laugh over it or simply never need your services again?

What if it were a local bank....would that make any difference to you?

In a case like this you simply have to move up the food chain (by mail or email) until you get high enough where someone knows about this new rule. Then of course you could start at the top which really irritates the folks you passed over.

Good luck......it is very frustrating anytime a new rule or law comes into place that is not common knowledge to clients.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Now I got the terminology from a Senior Appraisal Reviewer at an AMC... He calls these silly arguments, "stuck on stupid"

I think that anytime an AMC gets "stuck on stupid" and continually harrases an appraiser over anything that does not affect the value of the subject or the crediability of the report, We should bill them for time lost. My attorney bills me in 6 minute incriments and will tell a client..."If I dream about your case, I will bill you!" Arent we Professionals too?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPAP Compliant View Post
In a case like this you simply have to move up the food chain (by mail or email) until you get high enough where someone knows about this new rule. Then of course you could start at the top which really irritates the folks you passed over.
I'm dealing directly with the "Compliance Officer"
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM

I know a few weeks ago, Mr Lansford and Mr Weaver were kind enough to help out with the NREIS AMC letter that was sent out in defiance of the new State rule. A good talking to from Dad and they came around. Perhaps they might again in your case. I also know it's better to take brass knuckles to a street fight as opposed to leather gloves....
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Barnes (Illinois) View Post
I'm dealing directly with the "Compliance Officer"
Drew,

If the compliance officer does not know the requirements......send him/her a copy of that part of the rules along with the March issue of your appraisal newsletter. Then if you have to....move up a rung on the letter.

It must not be a very big AMC if they are uninformed about this issue.

By the way....most of the states that have an AMC law require a "compliance officer" (or some similar term) that is responsible for compliance with a particular state's AMC law/rules. Here is the NC language:

21 NCAC 57D .0303 Compliance Manager(a)

A compliance manager shall designated with the Board for each appraisal management
company. The compliance manager shall be a certified real estate appraiser certified under
Article I of this chapter or in another state.
(b) An appraisal management company shall file an application with the Board for approval
of the designated compliance manager. This application shall provide the Board with information
such as the compliance manager's name, mailing and physical address, and phone and email
contact information, and shall be signed by the designated compliance manager.
(c) The designated compliance manager shall obtain a criminal records pursuant to 93E-2-
11. Applicants shall pay all required fees to perform the check. This records check must have
been performed within 60 days of the date the completed application is received by the Board.
The criminal records check results must be attached to the application for approval as a
compliance manager.
(d) The designated compliance manager is responsible for:
(1) the notification to the Board of any change of trade name or contact information of
the appraisal management company and the registration of any assumed business

The "Compliance Manager" you are dealing with may not know much about the issues....since he/she has probably only had the job since 01/01/2011.
Titles mean nothing......this is a good case to prove it.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPAP Compliant View Post
Drew,

If the compliance officer does not know the requirements......send him/her a copy of that part of the rules along with the March issue of your appraisal newsletter. Then if you have to....move up a rung on the letter.
What you guys are missing is that the "Rules" have ZERO impact on the AMC. They cover the appraiser, not the AMC. The AMC can keep moving down down the food chain until they find an appraiser who will do what they want, no matter how much the big, bad wolf huffs and puffs.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL1957 View Post
What you guys are missing is that the "Rules" have ZERO impact on the AMC. They cover the appraiser, not the AMC. The AMC can keep moving down down the food chain until they find an appraiser who will do what they want, no matter how much the big, bad wolf huffs and puffs.

As in everything.

That is, there will always be client-types (or, people in general) looking to move down the proverbial barrel until they find what they are looking for.

Closed Thread