Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Illinois
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Contacting appraiser before I turn in the report

Could calling the "appraiser" before I send in a "bad" report be a bad idea? I have seen some where the "appraiser" ignores important facts and does a poor job from the top of the first page to the last word of the last page. I like to call them "R-1 appraisers" since all houses are zoned R-1 Residential and views are ALWAYS residential no matter what. I just have to know what they are thinking. Could this be a problem if the report is determined to be misleading or inadequately prepared?
Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Marcus View Post
Could calling the "appraiser" before I send in a "bad" report be a bad idea? I have seen some where the "appraiser" ignores important facts and does a poor job from the top of the first page to the last word of the last page. I like to call them "R-1 appraisers" since all houses are zoned R-1 Residential and views are ALWAYS residential no matter what. I just have to know what they are thinking. Could this be a problem if the report is determined to be misleading or inadequately prepared?

And you would speak with the appraiser...whose appraisal you are about to send (I infer) to the state regulatory agency...why, exactly?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:34 PM

For instance a house is maybe two houses down from a very busy four lane highway but no mention of this in the report, completely different lot dimentions are used than Sidwell clearly shows with the house measurements being such that they would not fit the actual lot dimentions (per sidwell), calling a condominium a house when it is a condo (detached house style condo), all but one sale used are all in the village neighboring the subject property. The list goes on. I understand simple mistakes but blatant mis information and excluding the obvious is what I really don't get. I just would like to know why. I guess they may just hang up but maybe one will actually be able to explain. I have had home owners show me report where things are ignored and ask why I cant do the same. They seem to feel they got a loan before on a report that didn't mention things so I should be able to do the same especially when the value is different when reality is factored into the appraisal.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM

State: New York

Never mind.

Last edited by Mike Kennedy : 04-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Marcus View Post

I just would like to know why.

If what you want to do is merely to satisfy your own curiosity...if I were in your place, I would not do it.

Think about it.

No good can come from following through on what you want to do.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:53 PM

I never have called anyone but I really want to. Most of the time the home owner gives me a copy of an appraisal many times done very recently.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM

I really just wanted to know if it would have any impact on the outcome if it was found to be actionable after it was turned in. I suppose the worst that could happen is that appraiser showing up at my door. But that could be kind of fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:34 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Just send it to the state. You will likely have time to correspond later!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Who gave you the appraisal,is it possible that it was altered from the original submission prior to your receipt of it?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:22 PM

State: North Carolina

This is not advice....only a statement.

I would never call another appraiser if I intended to file a complaint. He/she will know if and when the appraisal board opens an investigation. In my state, only signed complaints regarding appraisals are accepted. Speaking with them is interfering with their right to a fair and unbiased investigation.

We as appraisers have an ethical obligation to report serious violations to the proper authorities. The "no snitching" mentality has played a big part in the fall and decline of the appraisal profession.

I make a copy of the report and use a highlighter to show all factual errors, inconsistencies, possible USPAP violations etc. This is mailed to my appraisal board along with tax cards, MLS sheets and other verifiable documentation. I include a very short outline of why I am filing a complaint and the issues with the appraisal report that are in question.

That is it. No more no less. I am not the investigator. The board will contact me if they have questions. Beyond that....it is over for me.

This is no different from someone calling the police to report any possible crime. You call the police, tell them what you know and they take it from there. I am not the investigator, judge or jury.

Yes, I have been cussed and threatened by a few appraisers over the last 20 years. I don't remember any of them that were mad because the complaint was unfair....they were simply mad because they got caught cheating. I was teaching CE class a few weeks ago and it was all local guys that have known each other for years. It is very interesting to hear the same names come up again and again. Quite a few guys in the class had filed complaints on some of the same appraisers. We had a pretty good list of folks from this area that are no longer appraisers due to revocation, voluntary surrender or just running out of clients willing to use them. Once an appraiser shows up on an published appraisal board disciplinary report he/she will quickly find out how few clients want to be associated with them.

Appropriate disciplinary action is serious business. The punishment should fit the crime.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread