Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM

State: Missouri
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Question Asbestos siding

This week I did a home for a USDA loan that had asbestos siding. The Realtor said that an inspector from USDA had been there and "accepted" the house as long as an appraiser did a thorough inspection for repairs. I called the local USDA office and asked them about the asbestos siding and they said it would go as long as none of the shingles are broken or in bad condition which they were not.
If everything you read or hear about asbestos is true I personally would not want to live in a home with that type of exterior.
I am now wondering if FHA requirements are the same? I know alot of FHA and USDA requirements are the same however some are different as I have learned the past few years. I would like to know in case I ever get a house like that for an FHA loan.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM

State: North Carolina

Asbestos siding was some of the best siding ever made. There are no health concerns unless the siding is broken, chipping etc that would allow the fibers to be come airborne.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Asbestos shingles were the first "aluminum siding" of the modern housing age. Together with asphalt "insul-brick siding, they were the original alternatives to painting every few years. If they remain unbroken or unfrayed, they should be no problem to for FHA.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM

State: California

The key word is "friable." Google this word and you will understand the issues.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM

State: Missouri

Thanks for the answers
Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM

State: Tennessee

Asbestos siding is not an issue unless it is friable or unless it has been removed. You can leave it as it is and it will be ok or you can cover it up with siding. Just don't remove it. Then it becomes a hazardous material.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 PM

State: Virginia

Probably about 70% of all residential property in the USA has or has had asbestos siding. Much of it is now covered up with aluminum or vinyl siding but the old stuff is still underneath all that.

Most problems with ACM (asbestos containing material) occur when the asbestos is removed or one attempts to remove it. Then it becomes friable.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: General Public

I am a roofing contractor that has done training and worked directly with asbestos removal.

I agree with Mr. Rex regarding the siding and you can add roofing to that as well.

I just wanted to add my concerns with the statements regarding covering it up. You see it all the time. Contractors usually start off by nailing a fan-fold insulation board over the asbestos. Then nailing the siding over that. Ending up with asbestos siding that has been disturbed by the process of nailing. Pieces can break off, crack, and or split. You can't pre-drill to prevent breaking as this makes it friable. If you need to remove the siding again in the future you will have a real mess.

The smart thing here is to leave alone or repair as needed with similar non-asbestos pieces to match. The pieces can be removed without making them friable by cutting of the nail heads with a pair of dikes. The piece will slide off the nails and come out fully intact and undisturbed.

If the siding needs replaced I would recommend biting the bullet and have it removed and pay for the disposal. I can't say this enough, but I would never recommend covering it up with another nail on siding product.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread