Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default How many appraisals a day?

Homeowner asked me how many appraisals I do a day.
I hate that question but yesterday, I slipped and answered it.
I said 2 or 3 a day. She was silence and I realized she's thinking how much money I'm making. The homeowner thinks I'm getting her full fee.
I was going to explain that I would see 2 or 3 a day and finish the reports the next few days but I was too tired to elaborate and continue my inspection. If I could I would cram 5 inspections in one day but I can only humanly do at most 3 a day.
I usually like to do many inspections in one day and finish the computer work the next day.
Next time I shouldn't say "You're my last appraisal for today".
Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 AM

State: New Mexico

normando,

I almost choked when you said 2 to 3 appraisals a day as I instantly saw the sharks on the forum sensing blood the water. I am gald you clarified that it is inspections. The most I have cranked out in 1 day was 6. Started 7:30 AM and ran through them one after the other for the most part. That was during the summer when there's a bit more light. The biggest problem now is the insanity of the report due within 2 days from the time of inspection. This "requirement" virtually makes it impossible for anyone who works in that type of environment from doing that many inspections. Better to have a client with a due date regardless of when the inspection took place.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I inspected 6 properties one day last week. 4 were poultryfarms, but all owned by the same people and I appraised the same farms 2 years ago. The other own were bank owned land tracts. If I manage to get 2 - 4 larger properties in one week, I've done well.

I finished a report last night that I inspected yesterday morning. I will finish a commercial buildilng (REO) this weekend and those 4 farms?...still waiting on info from the integrator and the owner...hopefully I can finish those by next Friday. But I also found out one of my comps is going to be on the other side of Beaver Lake... this may take a while..."shooting" comps with a spinning reel.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 AM

State: Illinois

I would have told the person that--by way of example only--the matrix for experience credit here in IL suggests 10-hrs., start to finish, for the MV appraisal of a SFR. I may have added that "how long?" depends upon the complexity of the assignment and a few other variables.

I most certainly would have clarified that "# inspections/day" does not equal "# appraisals/day".
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 AM

State: Arkansas

"Experience" logs are as hokie as they are fairy tales.

Arkansas does not allow you to include travel time. Oklahoma does. Big deal. They both allow you 8 hours.. then they decided maybe you only should get 4 hours since your supervisor should have done at least 4 hours...say what?

"Experience" should be measured in years, not hours...and once you register as a trainee the clock should tick towards 2 or 3 or whatever and when you get there, test and get your license. How do you think engineers are vetted? not by the hour.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by normando View Post
I said 2 or 3 a day. She was silence and I realized she's thinking how much money I'm making. The homeowner thinks I'm getting her full fee.
I was going to explain that I would see 2 or 3 a day and finish the reports the next few days but I was too tired to elaborate and continue my inspection. If I could I would cram 5 inspections in one day but I can only humanly do at most 3 a day.
I usually like to do many inspections in one day and finish the computer work the next day.
I'm not bagging on you and I ask strictly out of curiousity, but where do you work and what types of properties do you typically deal with? 2-3 inspections per day means means it takes you 3 to 4 hours to inspect a home (counting drive time, I realize). Good home inspectors work faster than that and they take apart furnaces, walk on roofs, inspect every single beam in the attic and crawl space, etc. Rural and commerical, I could see, but typical residential property?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 PM

State: New Mexico

My standard answer is that I do as many inspections in one day as I can. My record is 8. Then I explain that each one means at least 6 hours in front of the computer. They see me zip around the house, take some pictures, run some water, etc. and think I just got $500. I do my best to put that myth to rest.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by normando View Post
Your response was misleading. The USPAP police will be by to pick you up shortly, if your competitors don't get there first and beat your arse for giving the public the perception that anyone can complete 3 interior inspection appraisals in one day competently. If you are doing 3-5 inspections per day and wrapping the paperwork up the following day, I only hope that you are not wrapping them in fish wrap or bird cage liner.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM

State: Florida

I'm proud to admit that one day I did 10 complete appraisals, inspection, report, and delivery. It was my record, and I am not ashamed of it. It was the "good old days", and I got an order from a mortgage company to do 10 appraisals on ten properties, ALL on identical tract lots, all the same model, All in the same subdivision. They did not even ask for a discount, or fast turn time.

However, these days, with most clients requiring listings, 1004MC, and with undertrained overzealous underwriters, I'm good for 2 a day max...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 PM

State: California

I just tell them that what they see me doing is the easy part, the fun part. I can do 1 or so per day, normal types houses or condos, if they go w/o any big headaches. It goes down from there. So, it depends on a variety of factors.

I guess I'm right in there with a good tile guy, pricewise. So not cheap, but not too expensive. Admittedly, the tile job lasts longer, and hopefully looks prettier.

Closed Thread