Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Next step in paired sale analysis

TRying to extract IG Pool reaction

Sale A with pool is 2084 sq ft - sold for $350000

Sale B without is 2292 sq ft - sold for $337,500

Market reacts to gla differences at $32 per sq ft

I can't remeber if I subtract the $6656 (208 sq ft at $32) to sale B or add it and then calculate the difference

Please don't beat me up with criticism - just need to be refreshed and cant find a clear refrence anywhere.

thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Subtract the $6,656 from the sales price of $337,500. That's what the additional gla contributed to the sales price. Your left with ~$331,000. The difference in this amount, and the amount of sale A is theoretically is the contributory value of the pool.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Do this for a hundred more and then you'll have a good basis for the adjustment using this method.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative View Post
Do this for a hundred more and then you'll have a good basis for the adjustment using this method.
Kinda like a drill Sargent telling his troops to drop and give me a hundred.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Using a single sale to isolate an adjustment doesn't work. But it could be used to ward off stupid AMC stips.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative View Post
Using a single sale to isolate an adjustment doesn't work. But it could be used to ward off stupid AMC stips.
Why of course it does! Everyone knows that paired sale analysis is THE preferred method for determining the contributory value of an element of comparison. Oh wait - I just found another pair indicating a completely different value. and wait - there's another; and another; and another. Geez, I guess I'll just have to add 'em all up an find the average.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:13 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

It doesnt matter whether you subtract from B or add to A ... as long as you hold one sale constant and adjust the other sale to the constant sale (in paired sales analysis) for all value differences, (garage spaces, square footage, patios, etc - excepting the item you wish to measure) the indication should be the same.

If you have one sale with a pool you can compare it with several other non pool sales to get an indication of the range that pool contributes. It would be preferrable to have many unrelated comparisons but you can still compare what you have to provide a range of indicators based on market analysis.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 AM

State: Colorado
Just worked a high end Boulder area, well probably not high end to your guys standards.

Builder had $50k lot premiums about a decade or so ago, for incredible views.

I was struggling with the lot premium adjustment in todays market.

Found several examples of paired sales which made me smile at how easy they were.

Nearly identical homes directly across the street from each other. One had views, the other did not. Voila! Around $50k, still relevant in today's market. A few more less straightforward pairs based on views, and a logical paired sales analysis to extrapolate market reaction actually came forth. It's almost a miracle, but without the miracle part.

In CO, you don't do that with pools though. Winter ruins pools, and you have to practically be a super pool hero to keep the value in your pool for more than a decade, if even that. When they install them with methods not sound to CO, they can become a detriment after only one or two seasons, even if still sort of functioning correctly.

Sometimes the market reaction to items or influences can be an estimated figure, without much evidence to back it up. It's all about offsetting comparisons and market expectations for the specific area. It's just opinions, and in the case of an individual line item consideration, that appraiser opinion of market reaction can be logically based on weather the consideration is common for the area or not.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 PM

State: New Jersey

Thanks! I needed something for the work file just because there is an extreme lack of pools in this market area.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread