Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default Field sketching

I'm being trained by a old school appraiser. When doing field sketches, my trainer uses a single sheet of legal sized yellow ruled paper. ALL of the notes go IN the sketch where the rooms are, and it becomes a jumbled mess. It gives me a headache to look at, let alone trying to do the sketch on the computer from this work of art...

I'm just wondering how people who are still doing hand drawn field sketches do it. Graph paper, to scale, etc...

I'm thinking of getting some graph paper for the sketch, numbering each room, and having a seperate self-made template for notes.

There's gotta be a better way...
Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

This is what I was using before I got an iPad 2.. Hopefully this will help with you headaches.

Inspection Report.pdf
Building Sketch.pdf
Old 06-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Thanks Eric. That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'm on the right track...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM

With the iPad, do you do your sketches and all note taking on it? If so, with what programs? I'm using ACI for reports, didn't think Davinci was compatable. Do you find the iPad to be smoother than old pen & paper? Pluses / minuses...
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1313 View Post
With the iPad, do you do your sketches and all note taking on it? If so, with what programs? I'm using ACI for reports, didn't think Davinci was compatable. Do you find the iPad to be smoother than old pen & paper? Pluses / minuses...
Yeah, I use DaVinci and love it; However I think there are many areas in the application for improvements. All in all you lose time at the inspection but gain a ton of time free time in the office(home), free time for me is hard to come by so I'll take any I get. Good luck
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM

State: Maryland
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

When I'm in the field I use paper for sketches. It's fast for me. I take detailed notes on dimensions and lots of pictures. When I'm back at my desk I can do a far better job sketching in Davinci for the report. When in the field there are too many distractions for me.

Dan
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Graph paper much like Eric posted, and to scale. One small box = 1 foot.
That way if the sketch does not close when you get to the end, you know something is wrong, and can sort it out before you leave.

Paper and pencils are cheap, IPads are not. And, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with drawing anything with funny angles or curves on a computer in the field. Not that I see many of those.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in L.A. View Post
That way if the sketch does not close when you get to the end, you know something is wrong, and can sort it out before you leave.

And, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with drawing anything with funny angles or curves on a computer in the field. Not that I see many of those.

Speaking only about DaVinci, you know if it does not close, and it handles angles much better than hand sketching as far as closing. Curves are a breeze and VERY accurate, much more than a hand sketch and the closing issue. Probably 3 out of 10 down here have angles of some sort. I've used an HP4700 PDA, 2 different Motion Tablets, and currently an iPad. Never dropped any of them.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
a single sheet of legal sized yellow ruled paper.
That's my mode of operation for simple and/or small structures. I will most often use...don't hold your breath...2 sheets...one for the sketch and one for the notes.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM

State: Tennessee

I scanned my sketch paper as a jpeg file and saved it as a template in Windows journal on my Motion 1400 tablet pc. I also scanned the lower 2/3s of the URAR for the descrption of the improvements. I open both files and bounce back from one another while out in the field. I do make a lot of notes on my sketch for deferred maintenance and such.

Closed Thread