Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 AM

State: South Carolina
Professional Status: General Public
Default When do you feel reconsideration is pressure?

What are your personal thoughts and how do you determine a truly honest reconsideration as in "did you consider this one" versus pressure to violate an INDEPENDENT opinion of value?

This one is becoming a fine line and I'd like to hear your opinions.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

"Did you consider these sales which we feel are comparable to the subject which you may not have been aware of?"- OK

" Please grid these sales out and give them weight in your opinion of value"- Crosses the Line

" Use these sales instead of the ones you chose"- Blatant Pressure
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM

State: California

Good summary William.

My answer to the OPs question: Never. Because I always maintain control over the client with regard to my appraisal.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM

State: South Carolina
Professional Status: General Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post
"Did you consider these sales which we feel are comparable to the subject which you may not have been aware of?"- OK

" Please grid these sales out and give them weight in your opinion of value"- Crosses the Line

" Use these sales instead of the ones you chose"- Blatant Pressure
Very well said.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 AM

State: California

Of the 16 properties reviewed and analyzed in the final analysis, the 7 comparable sales and listings provided were considered the best, most recent and relevant indicators of value.

Something like this used to lead the reader to understand that you have considered more than was necessary or required in the overall development of your conclusion. Now you have to actually provide all 16 in your reconciliation, plus look at and rebut sales from an adjoining community in order to stop any doubt from leaking into the minds of everyone who seem to always see things differently.

Shouldn't take more than 48 hours.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

State: Colorado
Laurie, it's the same old thing, with a new tidy package and bow on the top.

Preferential appraisal assignment leads to conflicts of interest.

Departure from round robin distribution systems allows clients to have pressure based expectations they structure their entire appraiser engagement model under.

It's really much simpler than that. Either an appraiser is qualified to be on that approved panel or they're not. Round robin distribution methods and cost + engagement for ancillary middle men services is the solution to a great many problems in real estate appraisal assignment.

If you want appraiser independence, the logical first step is to stop segregating the appraisers who are supposedly of equal quality. There is no peer standard, because a non-discount appraiser won't play ball to review the discounted work requests.

Last edited by Mile High Trout : 06-28-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 AM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

If someone is providing additional sales, I would ask the client to name that person so that you Can include them in your report. The notation below is from the Appraisers Certification section. Tell the client that you would be violating USPAP by not including the name of your assistant in the report.

19. I personally prepared all conclusions and opinions about the real estate that were set forth in this appraisal report. If I relied on significant real property appraisal assistance from any individual or individuals in the performance of this appraisal or the
preparation of this appraisal report, I have named such individual(s) and disclosed the specific tasks performed in this appraisal report. I certify that any individual so named is qualified to perform the tasks. I have not authorized anyone to make a change to any item in this appraisal report; therefore, any change made to this appraisal is unauthorized and I will take no responsibility for it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM

State: Colorado

I consider all requests for a "reconsideration" to be pressure. That said, as VA appraisers, we have to live with it. Usually a real estate agent will submit a whole bunch of sales most of which are not comparable for a variety of reasons. There have been times when there is a sale that is comparable that would support a higher value. If that is the case I will use it and amend my appraisal. In nearly all of those cases the sale was not found because of an error in how it was reported to MLS. Things like wrong MLS marketing area or not being reported as closed, or listed with a wrong style. Just had one of those last month.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
This one is becoming a fine line
fine line as in "line"? or "lying"... perhaps you misspelled that.
Quote:
I personally prepared all conclusions and opinions about the real estate that were set forth in this appraisal report
it seems that to allow someone else to bias your opinion (which is biased enough by yourself) violates the very certification REQUIRED by USPAP yet state and mortgage laws as well as bank laws allow lenders, UWs and Reviewers to attempt to lead you where you never went previously. We are not talking about pointing out errors. We are talking about pushing towards a new value, a new comp, a new thought about the problem at hand.
Quote:
I consider all requests for a "reconsideration" to be pressure.
right answer
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Pressure is implicit in any reconsideration of value. It comes with the territory--always has and always will. If one is incapable of withstanding the pressure, one is in the wrong line of work. Deal with it!

Closed Thread