Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Florida
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Florida AMC Regulation - A Reality

The Florida Division of Real Estate, Department of Business and Professional Regulation worked overtime to ensure a process was in place to register Appraisal Management Companies on July 1, 2011.

It's important to be aware of the unique definition of Appraisal Management Companies in Florida Law:
Quote:
(c) “Appraisal management company” means a person who performs appraisal management services.
(d) “Appraisal management services” means the coordination or management of appraisal services for compensation by:
1. Employing, contracting with, or otherwise retaining one or more appraisers to perform appraisal services for a client; or
2. Acting as a broker or intermediary between a client and one or more appraisers to facilitate the client’s employing, contracting with, or otherwise retaining the appraisers.
More information is on the FREAB site, but the answer to this question is of particular importance.

Who will be required to register as an AMC?

Quote:
475.6235 Registration of appraisal management companies required.—
(1)A person may not engage in appraisal management services for compensation in this state, advertise or represent herself or himself as an appraisal management company, or use the titles “appraisal management company,” “appraiser cooperative,” “appraiser portal,” or “mortgage technology company,” or any abbreviation or words to that effect, unless the person is registered with the department as an appraisal management company under this section. However, an employee of an appraisal management company is not required to obtain a separate registration.

FREAB goes on to say: "If you are a person who possesses the authority, directly or indirectly, to direct the management or policies of the appraisal management company, whether through ownership, by contract, or otherwise you are considered an authorized representative and must be included in the application process".
Some comments, links to more information and the online pdf AMC Application are posted on Appraiser Active.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 AM

State: Illinois

Are traditional appraisal firms exempt (as long as these are not represented as being an AMC)?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelansford View Post
Are traditional appraisal firms exempt (as long as these are not represented as being an AMC)?
Lee,

Although I'm not the one making these decisions, there are no exemptions identified in the Florida law.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM

I am still curious how the state can enforce the AMC registration on out of state AMCs? Dodd-Frank only calls for AMCs to be registered with no mention of where or mandate that they be registered in each state they do business. What kind of teeth does FREAB have to go after out of state AMCs?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Frank,
Can you direct me to access a list of registered AMC's in Florida.

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois K. Gregoire View Post
Lee,

Although I'm not the one making these decisions, there are no exemptions identified in the Florida law.

That's unfortunate.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelansford View Post
That's unfortunate.
I think it makes sense, it does not protect the mills... some of who probably authored laws in other states specifically exempting themselves.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnma View Post
I think it makes sense, it does not protect the mills... some of who probably authored laws in other states specifically exempting themselves.

But, of course, one (licensed appraisers) is already regulated and the other (AMCs) is not.

I'm not an expert on FL's AMC regulation (perhaps Mr. Gregoire can offer coment), but, I suppose that it is possible that a Florida appraiser who takes on a trainee might find that he or she is then classified as an AMC.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sawyer View Post
Frank,
Can you direct me to access a list of registered AMC's in Florida.

Thank you in advance!
I believe there is an option to download a CSV list of all licensees at the MYFLORIDAlicense.com site

I just ran search for AMC licensees on the site (searched real estate appraisal, license type, appraisal management company, out of state) and found 8 pages of licensees.

Here is the LINK.

EDIT - Sorry. the search link above does not work. You'll have to build your own search.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Thanks Frank!
I connected per above. There are only 80 AMC that are either registered or application in process. I detected many AMC's that are not on this list! Many of which I have done business with in the last couple of months. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread