Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default V5 Go-to-corner?

Where is the go-to-corner function in version 5? I just bought it yesterday and I am already hating it. The go-to-corner function was the main reason I didn't was Da Vinci. Also, what happened to the symbols trurning green when they were vertical? I cannot get the corners to line up and my sketches look like crap.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Lobo Fan,

I'll check into those two items for you. I know that it is very rare for features to be completely removed in the code. Those were pretty obscure features, however, so they are probably just hidden or not exposed on the GUI, not "gone" per se... What version were you using previously? Knowing that, perhaps I can get you going again via some settings while I look into re-exposing those items if they are not available by configuring user settings.

The "Go to Corner" function was a Survey Module thing, so I am interested to know how you were using it in your usual flow. I have the code open at the moment, so if re-exposing it is really useful for others, now would be a good time to sneak it in before the code base is locked down for the upcoming v5.2 update.

Sorry for the poor wording above - between items tonight and just trying to get you a reply before shutting down for the evening. Feel free tp PM me if you want to leave me your contact info.

[Edit] - Checked current build and as I expected, the "Go to Corner" function is still there :-) - it is just not on the menu. You can simply press the [G] key as before and the dialog will come up, prompting you to select the corner. Looking into the Symbol rotation thing ATM. As I recall, it was tied to the colors set for drawing (Configuration/System tab) but the color shift seems to be docoupled from that now, so I will look into putting that back in, but since I am revamping Symbols for v5.2, I would propose to improve this functionality while at it... :-)

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 08-15-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added [Edit]
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

State: Georgia

I wasn't aware there was a "Go to Corner" function. Does that function have any advantage over the method of just moving your cursor close to a corner and tapping the [J] key?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Hi James,

That function was typically used when inputting Metes and Bounds type legal descriptions. When doing this, you are typically working from lengthy written textual data, in a more "heads down" keyboard mode. Plus, it like many other "obscure" functions was a holdover from the early DOS days, before mice were prevalent... For many long-time users, it is simply a matter of habit and convenience - what they are used to. All-in-all, just a matter of preference. I was surprised that anyone even still used that function, especially outside of the "Survey Module" and was all but certain it was still there, just not perhaps shown on a menu. Like I said, it is very rare when we actually remove a function from the program, but there are so many arcane functions in there - some just old, some "custom" for certain clients or industries - that sometimes we miss putting the menu item or F-key in a new version, even if the actual function is still active. I was really looking forward to the OP letting me know how he was using Go-to-Corner in his daily use so I could give some thought into perhaps improving that feature, but alas like so many other times, it appears that we'll not get that input this time around :-( The opportunities to make improvements from user input only come about from time to time, so I like to take advantage of times like this to make meaningful improvements. Still, the comment/complaint about the Symbols changing color on rotation was noted and has caused me to thing about improving that as we are working on a Symbol re-vamp anyway... :-)

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM

State: Georgia

Thanks Randall. I occassionally use the Survey Mode using Metes & Bounds input which is a great module. I'll keep the "Go to Corner" function in mind.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM

The Survey Module is a great item when needed, especially for those "CYA - due diligence" scenarios... ;-) FWIW, I aim to do some updating to the Survey Module while we have the code open for the v5.2 update. For most users, it'll be mainly "tweaking and improving" things, but for some heavy users, it'll contain a major improvement item. The time frame for this was to be "this summer" but a major client in another industry is having some substantial items changed/enhanced and due to logistical reasons they are dragging their feet somewhat getting us the final OK, so it may be toward the end of the summer before an official v5.2 is pushed out to the rest of the user base. On a more positive note, however, some of their items are not purely custom/proprietary, so those items will show up for all users and/or doing work in a particular area of the code opens up the opportunity to improve some things across the board - a win-win for all IMHO :-) This happens from time to time, but I am afraid that we do not do a good job of letting people know of all the improvements that seep in throughout the years. One fallout from this client's version is a new user manual (something all us software folks tend to let lapse.) Anyway, as a result of their custom version, we reworked the old manual and we plan to use that version as the basis for a new, proper v5 manual. We also have new "how to" videos on the board and I think that will be a real plus for folks to be able to tap into some video tutorial stuff :-)

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread