Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Illinois
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
Default Credit Overlay

I'm receiving calls and e-mails regarding AMCs and lenders asking Illinois appraisers to comment on home inspections done by others. If you do NOT hold an Illinois Home Inspection license, you will be charged with unlicensed practice. What follows is from the Illinois Home Inspection website:

A Home Inspection is an examination of the exterior and interior components of residential real property. This includes the examination of at least 2 of the following:
Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system;
Plumbing system;
Electrical system;
Structural composition;
Foundation;
Roof;
Masonry structure; or
Any other residential real property component as established by rule.
It is illegal for a person, including an entity, to act, engage, develop, practice or advertise as a home inspector without a proper home inspector license issued under the Illinois Home Inspector License Act. A person who violates this is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Weaver View Post
I'm receiving calls and e-mails regarding AMCs and lenders asking Illinois appraisers to comment on home inspections done by others.
What kind of comments are the AMCs/Lenders requesting?

I can understand why an appraiser does not want to act as a home inspector (I certainly do not). But what if the comment is regarding a condition that is consistent with appraising? An FHA appraisal requires the appraiser (under certain circumstances, but it is more likely than not) to test heating, air conditioning and ventilation equipment, no?

What if the home inspector says the furnace doesn't work and the appraiser checked it and it does work and the lender wants the appraiser to comment?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis DeSaix View Post
What kind of comments are the AMCs/Lenders requesting?

I can understand why an appraiser does not want to act as a home inspector (I certainly do not). But what if the comment is regarding a condition that is consistent with appraising? An FHA appraisal requires the appraiser (under certain circumstances, but it is more likely than not) to test heating, air conditioning and ventilation equipment, no?

What if the home inspector says the furnace doesn't work and the appraiser checked it and it does work and the lender wants the appraiser to comment?
Then they need a home inspection license, here. This law has been on the books in Illinois for years. It isn't new.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM

Respectfully, I'm with Denis-appraisers are required to comment on all of those items on the checklist for 'home inspector' during their *appraisal* inspection. Is there some add'l wording missing from your OP? Perhaps the definition of 'examination' is what is different?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

It seems like there should be a big distinction between commenting on a home inspection, vs. performing an inspection.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Bonafide View Post
It seems like there should be a big distinction between commenting on a home inspection, vs. performing an inspection.
Is that like the difference between commenting on an appraisal and performing a review? I'm just telling Illinois appraisers what the law says. I didn't write it. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger.
I'm not shooting the messenger!

But I can empathize with the regulator, the appraiser and the client.

As the law is written, it might be argued that completing an FHA appraisal is also completing a home inspection.
Certainly, that was not its intent, and I cannot see anyone interpreting the law this way for enforcement purposes.
Likewise, if an FHA appraisal is deficient because the appraiser failed to test the systems, and the DEU directed the appraiser to do so, I doubt if the home inspection regulation would be interpreted that the appraiser cannot comply.

But that's where it gets from "common sense" to "very gray". Change FHA to conventional, and a client asks an appraiser to comment on a component that most of us would agree could affect value and that the appraiser is qualified to comment on (like, did the AC work when you were there?) and it sounds like there could be an enforcement issue.
There is no real difference between the FHA requirement and a client's request (especially if it is a condition of the assignment). Therefore, using a rule of fair enforcement (everyone gets treated the same), why would an AMC/Client's request get treated any different from the DEU?

Not arguing with you Brian, and I'm obviously not an Illinois appraiser. But it just seems that a regulation like that cannot be enforced fairly or consistently without shutting down a lot of legitimate appraisal activity (that really doesn't conflict/compete with the home inspector's responsibility or harms the general public, which is what I would presume to be the regulation's ultimate objective).
Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I believe there is a valid distinction between what is required as part of "appraisal practice" and the commenting on the inspections performed by other qualified licensed individuals.

"Roofing report states roof is at the end of its physical life"
AMC- Do you believe roof requires replacement?
Appraiser- It is beyond the appraiser's expertise, the Roofing report indicates the roof is at the end of it's life expectancy.

There are reasons why HUD does allow for the appraiser to call for an inspection when it is out of the appraisers realm of expertise.

Home inspections should be no different than an EPA Environmental Audit or an Engineering Report.
My comment to an AMC would be, "you have it from the expert". When the Home Inspector provides commentary on the Value of the property then I will comment but when the comment is within their expertise "It is, What it is"
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Then they need a home inspection license, here. This law has been on the books in Illinois for years. It isn't new.
I've always wondered what kind of discipline someone can be subject to if they don't acknowledge the disciplinary authority. What discipline can the Appraisal Board impose on an accountant who does real estate appraisals?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL1957 View Post
I've always wondered what kind of discipline someone can be subject to if they don't acknowledge the disciplinary authority. What discipline can the Appraisal Board impose on an accountant who does real estate appraisals?
Unlicensed practice. A cease and desist with or without a fine.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread