Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Undo corrupts file in V5

I purchased version 5 and have discovered that if you use the undo feature it corrupts the file.I called tech support and we recreated the problem several times. I asked when this would be fixed and was told maybe in the next update and the tech person did not know when the next update would be. This seems to me to be a significant bug that Apex would want to fix right away.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Floorplanman,

Thanks for writing in. I am looking into this issue today. Tech Support does not always know the moment-to-moment status of updates as we tend to think of that term revolving around new features, enhancements, etc. and we are in the middle of some fairly big changes for a particular customer and waiting on their feedback on those. Of course, some of the items being done for them will appear in the general releases :-) so this is a good thing. The problem you are reporting, however, is more immediate and we would address this as a "hot fix"... simply a matter of semantics ;-) Anyway, I intend to find out the status on this today and will advise as soon as I know something worthwhile.

Hope this helps for now.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Floorplanman,

FWIW, QA tells me that the issue causing the corruption is a relatively specific set of circumstances and not common (I've not had it happen to me), but I "suggested" that we get this worked on as a hot fix anyway If you can let me know the step-by-step way to make this happen, I will make sure to "champion this cause." ;-) Will advise on progress.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Randal,
I appreciate you looking into this. It appears to be random, but the problem arises when you try to select a symbol or text that is placed in the sketch with the mouse. In some cases you can not select the symbol or text so I tried the undo feature and received a corrupt file message. This has happened on 2 separate machines running windows 7.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Floorplanman,

I am told that the hot fix for the issue you reported is not available via the in-program update function. If you have the Auto-Update feature turned on, you should be automatically notified the next time you run Apex. If not, go to your Help menu and select the "Check for Updates" icon. (See screen shot below.)

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Tried to run an update, but keep getting the message that "Apex has encountered a problem and needs to shut down". Can't seem to get the update, any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Have not run into that. Sounds like a file handle is locked or something PM me with your contact info and I will get Jonathan to contact you and get you going.

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Checked with QA manager and confirmed that the problem is likely a locked file handle. That is, the update is trying to run before the program is fully shut down - probably because you have a lot of other things going on that is slowing down your computer just enough to upset the timing. No big deal - we'll just add a slightly longer (i.e. 1 second?) delay to the process and/or do some other housekeeping tasks in the background on the next hotfix release. In the interim here are links to the latest files for Version 5.1.2232.1 - dated 8/30/11:

Standard Fee Appraiser version:
Assessor/Pro version:

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread