Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Question Functional Obsolescence

A 2-story contemp house on a flat lot. Living room and dining room are on the first floor; Kitchen and family room (next to each other) are on the second floor. This appears to be a functional obsolescence issue. How to make adjustment? I know the area well but I've never seen one like this. There is no similar property in the area, even if I expand my search...

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM

State: Massachusetts

Why is that necessarily functional obsolescence? What are you basing it on? You seem to be jumping ahead of yourself. First you should figure out if it is, in fact, functional obsolescence and then figure out the market reaction by contacting local market participants.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 PM

State: Michigan

First you need to determine if it's curable or not. If it can be cured to allow similar functional utility as other homes in the neighborhood (and your comparables), then that is your adjustment. Otherwise you are going to have to analyze the markets reaction to this non-traditional floor plan.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonApprsr View Post
Why is that necessarily functional obsolescence? What are you basing it on? You seem to be jumping ahead of yourself. First you should figure out if it is, in fact, functional obsolescence and then figure out the market reaction by contacting local market participants.
Thanks for the comment. I'm not sure if it's functional obsolescence. That's why I said it "appears" to be. However, I think it would be weird the carry dishes between kitchen and dining room on different floors. I don't know the market reaction. That was my question. There is no comps. How to determine market reaction? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

First you need to decide if its even obsolescence. Never mind whether its cureable or not. If you dont have sales to show an item is functionally obsolete then I would caution you against using the term and making an adjustment.
Obsolescence in all forms must be shown by market evidence ... lacking that its just your "feeling" that obsolescence may exist.

If your feelings are strong, then handle it in the reconciliation as a means of concluding at the lower end of the provided range but do not make an adjustment you cannot support with market evidence.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 PM

State: Illinois

Any prior sales? If so, what was the listing history on its last sale? Was the marketing time similar to other properties within it's market or longer? Check with the Realtor at that time and ask if there was an adverse reaction to its floor plan.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Any prior sales? If so, what was the listing history on its last sale? Was the marketing time similar to other properties within it's market or longer? Check with the Realtor at that time and ask if there was an adverse reaction to its floor plan.
I like your thinking....go back and see if it sold "below" other similar homes in its history...
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Does the space that is called family room and the space that is called dining room have the ability to be "switched"?

What stops the family room from being a dining room and what stops the dining room from being a family room?

Sounds like someone wanted to put the tv and couch near the frig.

Are you sure there is a functional issue? or preference of homeowner issue?

Last edited by BRCJR : 09-18-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Where are the bedrooms and bath? how is food transported from the kitchen to the dining room? Is this a resort property?
There are lots of houses on the Jersey shore that have the public rooms on the upper floor, these "upside down" houses are designed that way to take advantage of views and cool breezes.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Thank you all!!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread