Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default A stained conrete basement floor-finished?

Seeking opinions: Seems that I've seen this a few times now, people staining their basement concrete floors and giving it a "faux" finish, like one often sees in the exterior with stamped concrete patios. I had one in a luxury home a while back where the owners had the builder use a diamond saw to cut the surface of the slab into squares to make it look like large tiles and then applying a stain to the surface.

While there are some quality considerations and the concrete treatments vary in cost and appeal, it seems proper to me to call it a finished floor (with caveats). Does this seem reasonable?

The motivation to do this would seem only to be a cost savings over tile or wood, or other method to finish the floor yet not have carpet, which some do not want, especially when one has pets.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM

State: North Carolina

It's not that cheap if done professionally, but yes it is a finish. Most have a couple of coats of stain to add depth, then a clear coat finish that is easy to keep clean. Alot of bars and restaurants built on slabs use a similar finish.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM

State: California

I inspected a high end lakefront with a super high quality 6 car garage. The owner had "decorated" the concrete with zillions of very small, multi-colored painted splotches. He then coated the entire floor with some very high gloss epoxy finish. It was very interesting and unique.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 PM

State: North Carolina

I've only seen such a "finish" [interior] floor treatment a few times, most recently in a foreclosed home approx. 5-6 years old on a slab foundation. The finished concrete flooring had cured and cracked in numerous places throughout the home, so I suppose a lot has to do with who poured / finished the floor and if they knew what they were doing. The cracks in the finished concrete floor made prospective buyers apprehensive, e.g., wondered what else was "wrong" with the home.

This feature is so limited in my area that it is difficult to support any adjustment (positive or negative).

Hank O.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rex View Post
It's not that cheap if done professionally, but yes it is a finish. Most have a couple of coats of stain to add depth, then a clear coat finish that is easy to keep clean. Alot of bars and restaurants built on slabs use a similar finish.
I agree! I have done several high dollar home appraisals lately that have the same type of floor coverings. I don't have a problem with calling it finished.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM

State: Washington

Even in Idaho we have stained basement floors--see 'em all the time.

Pet and beer stains count, right?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

We have a concrete finisher who resurfaces concrete floors mainly in offices and coats with a colored layer and finishes out very nicely. The other thing we have are industrial epoxy floors. The developers of this used sand embedded in epoxy taking the idea from a brother who did it to keep his milk cows from slipping on wet parlor floors. They finish floors for industrial and public buildings nationwide.
http://www.tufcoflooring.com/
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM

State: California

Very common in trendy Los Angeles homes and absolutely de rigeur (sp) in the downtown commercial loft condo conversions. There is a process called "tromploi" which is basically "stained concrete" which I throw around to make it sound fancy.

Mike
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM

State: Massachusetts

Shoot I count painted basement floors. Looks better than 1970 shag carpeting anyway.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM

State: Virginia

My best friend is an architect...she showed me some photos from her most recent restoration/remodel which included concrete counter tops...pretty amazing what can be done with this medium.

Another friend works for a concrete company...he has a stained concrete (stamped to look like slate) driveway that is quite beautiful. Would look great in my sunroom...if I had one.

I agree with Mr. Rex, if done professionally, these types of finishes are not cheaper alternatives.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread