Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default apex medina

so they're not longer selling these. does anyone want to sell me their licenses?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

kakarotto,

Apex v4 (aka "Medina") is over 4 years old and v5 is superior in every way, has more features, etc. Why are you looking for an old version? Everyone's situation is different in some way, so help me understand yours. FWIW, I am not in sales but I would like to try and help where I can.

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/
Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Maybe that version is all the guy needs. Apex has a poor business philosophy, supported likely only because it is one of the few companies currently catering to sketch users.

The one big complaint I've personally experienced and also heard from others is requiring constant $25 're-registering', as apparently the underlying code is not robust enough to deal with normal computer issues such as changing video cards, the odd system crash, etc. I have been made to pay this extortion fee more than once over the years for nothing done wrong on my side. Three months ago, I had to restore my system to an earlier date after a crash. Apex was the only installed software that defaulted to requiring paid 'registration'. In fact, it was the only one period that required re-registering at all. I did not try to illegally copy it, share it over a network, or even put it on another new computer. Once registered, it should stay registered. Apex is I guess so paranoid about being 'taken advantage of', it's choosing to ignore the everyday circumstances inherent in normal, honest computer use.

Same thing last week when I upgraded the vid card. It's also happened before more than once after I seated the hard drive in order to move the comp to new offices. None of these issues should affect an already installed software program. Or at least they didn't affect any others I have.

Apex rep told me today that V5 will be much simpler to get a new reg code from; it'll just send it to your email. Well woopee...why should I have to continuously re-register the thing. Why is a software company PLANNING to have this requirement? Again, no other software I've EVER purchased has this stance. Then he conveniently left out commenting whether the required fee will continue forward, which means I must assume the $25 fee will continue. Unless, I guess, it's part of the newly introduced subscription fee.

Seamless integration from old to new version should be standard. There are online games that are far more complex than a sketch program & update themselves on top of the 'old' version. I don't have to buy a totally new program and start from scratch everytime there's an upgrade.

I should not have to pay for an upgrade if I don't want it. Microsoft also pulls this trick every few years with 'new' OS where you gotta pay cause we aint gonna support the old version. But, at least you have a choice and can continue to run an old OS if you like. Now that my Apex V4 is 'unregistered' again, what choice do I have, eh?

I dont want another version of Apex regardless of how fancy it is, especially now that with V5 it looks like there will be an additional $15/mo subscription fee. $200 some odd dollars to get the program, plus a subscription fee, from a company that's proven it's jailhouse tactics over time. What that tells me is it currently holds a large market share it thinks it will never lose.

So now, through no fault of my own, the V4 goes nuts again and requires re-registration, no codes will be given out "cause you gotta upgrade & the old stuff isn't supported". I dont want support - I want a program I've already paid for and re-paid for to continue to work.

I wait patiently for another entrant into this appraisal niche - a company that will not use extortionist tactics to ensure cash flow & one that's primary concern is service to its' clients.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Mr. Young,

I apologize for the delay in responding - I've simply been away from my desk and unable to get back to this forum for the past week.

As I understand your main issue, please note that the issue with changing "normal computer issues" causing Apex to become unregistered was addressed in a free update many years ago. Recalling from my admittedly rusty 56 year old memory banks, I believe this was somewhere around v4.1 or 4.2 - maybe 3+ years ago (?) when we also added the ability for users to register, move, etc. their licenses themselves via the Internet. Through the years, we have continued to improve this aspect as issues come to out attention. In any case, I do not believe you need to upgrade to Apex v5 to address your main complaint. I would go on-line and get the latest version, make sure you set up your own account and manage your licenses that way, as most do. The fee you mentioned is not so much for the license unless you are they type that does this sort of thing weekly, LOL, it is just for the tech's time, etc. If you had a single appraisal customer continually calling you for "reprints", you would do something similar. In any case, my purpose here is not to be defensive, point fingers or any of that - it is to try and help, so I would just get the latest version, add your own user account and I believe 99% of your problems should go away :-) Nobody here "plans" to make our software expire, "go nuts", etc. I believe we have an excellent track record of providing free updates to our software for years - I think our average is providing not only bug fixes, but product improvements - new features, smoother operation, etc. for 4+ years for each version. I feel confident that none of the other appraisal programs do this without some sort of annual feel or similar. Nevertheless, if you feel that you have been slighted, most of the appraisal forms companies offer multiple choices for a sketch program. Apex will be sorry to lose your business but I hope that our continued efforts to improve our products will someday earn us the opportunity to win you back.

Hope my suggestions above solve your problems and you can get back to work quickly!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread