Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Modular, Manufactured, or just low quality

Our assessor does not classify if a house is manufactures, modular, stick built, facory built, etc. Went to house today, and I need some help figuring out what this is:

- Per owner- bought from a factiry built housing company in 1978 called "Marshfield Homes", who is no longer in business
- House sits on a full basement, and when looking underneath there was no evidence of a steel frame, a hitch, axels. The floor is wood joist framing.
- The original part of the house is 14x76, and in 1984 a family room addition was attached.
- House has been renovated several times, and any evidence of tags or labels are gone

What do you think, manufactured on 1004c or use 1004? If 1004c, how do you handle the addition?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0027.jpg (72.8 KB, 40 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 AM

State: New Mexico

If there is no frame I would think it is an off frame modular which compares to site built, except that it looks like a manufactured so there could be some market resistance.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Low grade modular at best. Looks like manufactured (style). Significant discount here.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 AM

State: Arkansas

Looks like a United Bilt or similar construction.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM

State: Florida

No steel frame, not a mfg home. No tags to prove modular, treat as stick-built. As an aside back in this period I saw several companies building stick built homes on heavy frame foundations that looked like this but there were no state regs for modulars at the time. They would be moved to the site on a flatbed and set on a P&b foundation. This is probably what you have here.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

14x76 is very troubling. no one builds even kit homes with these crazy single wide dimensions. I'd continue research.....your state have records of titles? We all know owners tear off hud tags and re-side to hide the evidence of being manufactured....the dimensions are the killer here....plus, additions off a manufactured are areas you don't really want to get into.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM

State: Arizona

In the late 70s and early 80s there were manufactured homes built to the HUD that were not on a steel frame or chassis. They are still considered manufactured homes because they were constructed to the HUD building code.

I looked up Marshfield in my 1983 Blue Book and Marshfields were constructed by Wick Building. So until you verify the original building code while it was under construction in a factory--there is a very, very good chance you have a manufactured home---not a modular home.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

State: Washington

Jo Ann is the 'resident expert' about these on the AF. She is correct - the building code the dwelling was built-to is key.

I worked for a MODULAR home manufacturer in a past-life, so have a bit of perspective on your property.

1- the power pole & meter to the left side of your photo is a fairly strong give-away that this property is MANUFACTURED, however, it could be a MODULAR ... so this is not a reliable bit of data either way. Most site-built homes have the meter on the side of the dwelling, not detached. When we built MODULAR homes, we had to know where the power access was coming from so that the power panel was located correctly - on/in the dwelling. However, back then, the manufacturer might have allowed a detached meter, with power cable going into the breaker box inside the dwelling.

2- since this is built on a basement, the interior walls in the basement could help you decide the type of dwelling construction. Because the typical MANUFACTURED home 'foundation' is two steel 'I' beams running the length of the dwelling, the supporting walls in the basement will have to be crosswise to those, about every 10 feet or so. This would break up the basement into small rooms. Or perhaps the basement was constructed with steel cross-beams and the dwelling 'foundation' sits on those. In this case, the basement might have steel posts about every 10' centered down the length, or a supporting wall down the center of the basement. This type of construction also applies to a MODULAR home because spanning 14' without center support probably would not be done. So, again, a mystery as to your home.

3- transportation of MANUFACTURED or MODULAR houses along roads/highways is governed by regulations in place at the time it was built/moved. I seriously doubt a MANUFACTURED or MODULAR home would have been 76' long in 1978. Since you say the home has had additions, I suspect the original dwelling was 60' long or less, which would have been more likely back then. The dimension of the basement might give you some clue, especially if the basement does not continue under the addition areas.

So...what to do? Well, absence any overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you could do this on the 1004 form..............but just to be safe include a GIANT EXTRAORDINARY ASSUMPTION that the home is not MANUFACTURED, and a great deal of commentary discussing the situation. If it truly is a MODULAR home, it should be done on the 1004, not 1004C.

Another option, and probably safer: put the report on hold. Then contact ITBS, the organization which records and tracks all manufactured home sales. Perhaps they can help you determine if it actually is MANUFACTURED, vs Modular. They normally need S/N's or HUD #, but perhaps some of their old reference material (like Jo Ann's) could help determine the code this company used at that time.

Let us know what happens with this report!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 PM

State: North Carolina

First of all, kudos for the fact that you are asking, investigating, researching, etc. I recently appraised a home that turned out to be a 1970's modular in a neighborhood of like homes. Several of the other modulars were listed as site-built in the MLS (basic no-frills ranch homes). The home had been updated / remodeled to the extent that the only labeling was a small sticker in the breaker panel. The cabinets were replaced so there was no indication in the kitchen.

Just a thought... regardless of what it [was] originally - manufactured, modular, panelized, etc., how does it look relative to design, quality, materials / finish now? You mentioned that there were no tags, etc.... does that mean nothing inside the kitchen cabinets, master bedroom closet and/or breaker panel also? Just curious if there is any labeling anywhere.

If you have exhausted all due diligence, I suggest describing it as best you can, include plenty of good photos, and select the most similar sales possible, particularly if you can locate another such property with regard to "what the heck is it anyway?". It certainly looks manufactured or modular vs. stick-built.

Best wishes,

Hank O.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 30, 2011 025.jpg (62.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Schneider View Post
Our assessor does not classify if a house is manufactures, modular, stick built, facory built, etc. Went to house today, and I need some help figuring out what this is:

- Per owner- bought from a factiry built housing company in 1978 called "Marshfield Homes", who is no longer in business
- House sits on a full basement, and when looking underneath there was no evidence of a steel frame, a hitch, axels. The floor is wood joist framing.
- The original part of the house is 14x76, and in 1984 a family room addition was attached.
- House has been renovated several times, and any evidence of tags or labels are gone

What do you think, manufactured on 1004c or use 1004? If 1004c, how do you handle the addition?
Given the information provided I would simply do it on a 1004 with similar low-quality houses as comparable sales assuming the 1984 addition was done following the proper rules. It is most likely the original construction was low quality modular construction meaning it was done to local code. With the narrow format it has nothing to distinguish it from a site built house of the same width since it is not on a steel chasis. There is a chance it was originally done to the HUD code, but I don't see where proving that, should it be the case, would make any difference in the valuation other than the form used. Your goal should be to accurately reflect how the market views the property rather than worry about arcane rules.

Closed Thread