Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default "underwriting conditions" valid or not?

Can anyone please clearly define what "underwriter request" is legitimate and part of "clarification" of the appraisal and what is NOT legitimate and outside the scope of work. I have had occasion (one currently) where the "Underwriter" (for the bank or the mortgage insurance company?) has requested an "appraisal revision" in which I am asked to add an addendum and complete the cost approach for a detached condo (on the condo form). From my perspective, this is outside the appraisal scope of work, not my area of expertise and essentially the lender's attempt to have me do additional work so they can close the loan. I have put the request back to their appraisal department for direction, but what IS and what IS NOT my responsibility is unclear. Is the appraiser required to do endless revisions each time a different UW looks at the appraisal? AM I required to comply with "requests" from the mortgage insurance company? My mortgage broker friends are unclear about this...as am I.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca Ar Independent View Post
Can anyone please clearly define what "underwriter request" is legitimate and part of "clarification" of the appraisal and what is NOT legitimate and outside the scope of work. I have had occasion (one currently) where the "Underwriter" (for the bank or the mortgage insurance company?) has requested an "appraisal revision" in which I am asked to add an addendum and complete the cost approach for a detached condo (on the condo form). From my perspective, this is outside the appraisal scope of work, not my area of expertise and essentially the lender's attempt to have me do additional work so they can close the loan. I have put the request back to their appraisal department for direction, but what IS and what IS NOT my responsibility is unclear. Is the appraiser required to do endless revisions each time a different UW looks at the appraisal? AM I required to comply with "requests" from the mortgage insurance company? My mortgage broker friends are unclear about this...as am I.
You can explain that the cost approach is not applicable in this assignment and is not meaningful and not necessary to determine market value in a condominium development. There is an undivided interest in common ownership that makes this outside the scope of work.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 PM

State: Delaware

^^^
EXACTLY..
What is the cost to build when the owner of a condominium unit owns "the structure" from the paint film inward, and in one sense, owns airspace and the right to use that space.
(( In some areas it's the paint film, in others, inward from the wallboard.))
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Kinney View Post
You can explain that the cost approach is not applicable in this assignment and is not meaningful and not necessary to determine market value in a condominium development. There is an undivided interest in common ownership that makes this outside the scope of work.
This (almost verbatim) comment is already IN the appraisal in the approach to value comments. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I believe this is a ridiculous request and well outside of the scope of work.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM

CA_AR - off topic, but what part of Cali are you in? I'm making a list of OC (or closeby) appraisers to schedule a lunch so we can all meet each other.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Beyond the argument that it is not necessary etc. that others have brought up it could also be helpful to point out that this was not a condition of the original engagement.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

What's the big deal if you have to add it or not? If your fee didn't include a cost approach, let them know what you will additionally bill them for this service
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM

State: Arkansas

You can extract a contributory value for the site, but obviously that "land" value includes the amenities of the development and is an undefinable co-interest in property. I would simply point out that it was not in the original scope of work and is unnecessary and you are NOT going to do it.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrel L. Shields View Post
You can extract a contributory value for the site, but obviously that "land" value includes the amenities of the development and is an undefinable co-interest in property. I would simply point out that it was not in the original scope of work and is unnecessary and you are NOT going to do it.

As Brother Terrel notes, if the CA was not a requirement of the assignment, the request following the communication of the appraisal is nothing more than a new offer for a new service.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM

The Cost Approach is not applicable to Condos.

If anyone disagrees, please explain in detail how you arrive at the land value.

Last edited by JamesRockford : 10-07-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread