Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Desktop Appraisals with Drive By Photos

I got email from one of the AMC's if I can do a Desk Top appraisal with Drive By Photos, and how much the fee . I have not done these but work is so slow I would like to get busy.
Please help.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2011, 01:55 AM

State: Massachusetts
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Please help with what? You can do anything you want as long as it's not violating USPAP or Local Laws. Of course you can do a drive by appraisal on a desktop form. Make sure you get a correct fee for such an expansion of the typical scope of work of a desktop appraisal. Go for it! Make sure you explain what you did in the SoW section in the report. Make sure you understand exactly what form they want the assignment completed on, check out the form prior to accepting the assignment, paying attention to any pre-printed SoW and such.

Good luck, and God Bless. I hope business picks up for you. Check out some of our older threads on getting new clients, there's some great advice.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 AM

State: Oregon

Many appraisers across the country are performing desk tops w/ drivebys. I personally don't as I live an a highly complex market making them useless.

That said, before you take or reject the order, talk to the peep in friendly fashion. You don't know them, so at least give them a chance to explain themselves. Bug them with some detailed questions. What is the intended use, what are they willing to pay, is there a turn time, etc. It is your job to take control of the situation so you can comfortably accept the order under your terms.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

As long as there is adequate public records available and you are comfortable doing them there is no problem. Only difference is not getting out of the car.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Fiehler View Post
As long as there is adequate public records available and you are comfortable doing them there is no problem. Only difference is not getting out of the car.
Perhaps - it depends on what you are certifying you determined, or are assuming, about things that you can't see, and the extent that you will be held responsible for any assumptions that are incorrect.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:27 AM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Chhina View Post
I got email from one of the AMC's if I can do a Desk Top appraisal with Drive By Photos, and how much the fee . I have not done these but work is so slow I would like to get busy.
Please help.
So tell us--what's the intended use of this appraisal?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:21 PM

State: California

I've had several of these come across my desk lately. ALL have been high end properties with little or NO information available for public record and after requesting that the assignment be changed to a 1004 full,and doing a little digging in the process, I find that they are for Big Bank internal use. Oh ..and the fee for this? $150.00. NO THANK YOU!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM

State: Texas

The client is requesting a Drive By SOW reported on a Desktop form.

Unless the fee represents a typical 2055 exterior fee, you are working too cheap. They can have the report on a Desktop form, but I'm getting the Drive By fee or passing on the assignment. Minimum Drive By fee around here is $350. I'll bet they are offerring around $150 to you.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 PM

State: New Mexico

Somebody is pimping these things around here for $25.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Many appraisers across the country are performing desk tops w/ drivebys.
A "Desk Top" appraisal is that. A "Drive-by" is that....therefore it is technically impossible to do both in one fell swoop. You are either doing a "desk top" appraisal or you are doing a drive by appraisal....If you are doing a drive by on a desk top form....well. Good wordsmithing to you as it would seem more hassle to caveat the DT from than it would take to do a 2055.

Closed Thread