Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Can anyone recommend a low cost device that runs apex nexus?

Looking to purchase a device that runs nexus. I have aci and run medina on that, but needed a field sketcher.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

MZ,

Help me out on the range for "low-cost.". These days, I think it is safe to say we all know we don't want, nor need, to spend $2,000 - $3,000or more, but are you talking $300 - $499, $500 - $749, $750 - $999, $1,000 - $1,500...?

Also, what is your timetable? NOW, by the end of the year, early next year, by the Spring busy season... ?

Feel free to look at other related posts on this site for related items, or PM me if you feel more comfortable talking off-line.

Hope to be able to help!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 AM

My budget is $200-500. No real rush. Just needing something that can properly run Apex Nexus, since it integrates with ACI. I looked at some of the posts and most mention iPads, Galaxy Tabs, etc.. but I can't run Nexus on these, since they do not support that type of operating system. Most of these users are using Davinci with Wintotal.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 PM

MZ,

FWIW, I believe you will be better served with either our Android sketcher or the MobileSketch module for regular Apex vs. going with Nexus. At present, Nexus really works best with a Tablet featuring an "Active Pen" digitizer and there are no good ones in that price range. Hence, I think you should be looking at "touch tablets." For light weight, low cost, etc., Android Tabs fit the bill, but we will not release MobileSketch for Android Tabs for another 30+ days IMHO. Of course, our iOS and Android sketch files can be read in Apex, just like they could when we were doing Pocket PC programs:-)

Unfortunately, ACI does not integrate with Nexus - I surely wish they would, but the fact of the matter is that they do not. Of course, they do integrate with Apex, and I assume you use that now (?) since you posted in this forum. We will be releasing a "touch tablet" add-on for Apex sometime in November/December, so that may actually be your best path. Being a "touch tablet" add-on to regular Apex, you can skip the expense of the active pen tablets and open up some more possibilities in your price range. Since you are not in a big rush, I will look into Windows touch tablets in your price range and get back with you on what I find. I have several here, but they are earlier models that I purposely bought as "underpowered" models to test performance. I am sure there are better ones out now, but I have not done an extensive search lately, nor bought and used any. I will be doing this, however, in the next 30 days as I get this add-on ready for shipping, so your request for info comes at a mostly convenient time.

[Edit] We do not have any public materials for the MobileSketch add-on for Apex, but FWIW here is a link to a video showing MobileSketch on a "Pad" done way back this past summer. The MobileSketch add-on will work largely the same, just "inside" regular (desktop) Apex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB1EKwH1nKE

Let me know if this is the sort of info you are looking for and I will do my best to try and help.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 10-27-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM

I went to the local Best Buy and checked out their tablets. I really liked the Htc Flyer. Looks like it is an android operating system and price was in my ball park. Once mobile sketch for Android comes out, will I be able to use this device with it? Also, I have Apex Medina on my desktop. Can I integrate it with this new version of Mobile Sketch. I am currently using the older version of Mobile Sketch, which I purchased back in 2005 on my old Ipaq that is almost at its end of its life. My older version of Mobile Sketch integrates with Medina V.4. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 PM

MZ,

I am recommending you hold off on a purchase for two reasons. First, neither piece of software is shipping yet; and second, if you have been following any of my other posts, I believe you will see new devices on the shelves in the next 30 -60 days. The new devices, priced at similar levels as the ones there now, will simply be much better, but ALSO, they have the effect of making the current devices (most, already plenty sufficient) drop like a rock with respect to price. Of course, availability will suffer if people snatch them up quickly... Anyway, what is coming out just now and soon addresses both ends of the market - the gadget freak and the bargain hunter, plus those in the middle, who might simply get the better current device now that it costs less :-)

As for the Flyer, what was it you liked so much? Knowing your answer will help me better tailor a more meaningful reply.

As for either version of MobileSketch - the iOS/Android program or the add-on to regular Apex, each requires you upgrade to Apex v5. As you may know, I am NOT in sales, so this is just my hunch, but I would imagine when these programs are released to the public, there will be some sort of promotional bundling over and above our normal upgrade discounts, etc. My guess is, that either way, it'll end up running you about the same sort of money and your decision will be based on whether you want an add-on to your full Apex or a separate program on a machine running a different OS. The advantage of the iOS/Android route is a plethora of machines to choose from and the advantage of the add-on route is having the "full meal deal" with you at all times, including your forms software (?) if desired. It really depends on how you envision "going mobile"... data gathering only or also being able to fill out reports in the field, at lunch, whatever...

Oh, BTW, next time you are at Best Buy, be sure to check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9... Under a pound, bright high resolution screen - super sweet. The NEW 7.0 Plus will be out in weeks and be even lighter. The 7.7 has a SAMOLED screen and looks to be nice, but I cannot get a straight answer from Samsung as to delivery dates. I happen to like the 7" form factor, but both the 7.7 and 8.9 are nice "tweeners." I believe most of the Windows Tabs in your price range will be 10.1" but they tend to be popular for their size...

Let me know if this is making sense or if I am off base with my comments.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM

The reason I liked the Htc Flyer was the size. It was a bit smaller than most of the other tablets, had the option of a stylus pen, so I can take notes in the field vs having to use my fingers to type. Not sure if I saw the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tab. I have an iMac and run Vmware to runs Windows Xp for my ACI and everything else on my iMac. ACI does not have any mobile form fillers like Alamode does and their minimum requirements to even run their program has been upped to 2gb RAM, 1 ghz Dual Core. So most tablets might not work with ACI.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Looked at that Galaxy Tab 7 online. Seems to be a much better tablet vs the Htc Flyer. I spoke to ACI today and they said they do not integrate with Apex V.5. So what does ACI integrate with for mobile sketching?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM

MZ,

Understood on the size thing. Lot to like there IMHO. The new GalTab is much nicer than the old one, but I don't think Best Buy has that on the shelves yet. The new one is thinner than the iPad 2... :-). Think "Kindle thin and light" and you'll get an idea. Should be there in weeks... I like the 7.7 even better, but as I said, no official word on delivery (yet.). For now, the 8.9 is my favorite "tweener"... Go fondle it ;-)

I will check on the ACI and Apex v5 thing. I know for a fact they have had it since last Spring. They must have all their attention on other items ATM... Go figure... The problem with adding MobileSketch support to Medina is that v4 is already 5+ years old and the code has been closed for about 2 years. Doesn't make sense to open up old code for that. You do know that you can run Apex "stand-alone", right. You can do that now - That feature has been there "forever"... No reason you cannot run v5 and send your sketch to your v4 program. Of course, the BEST thing for you is to see why ACI has not integrated v5 yet. Nothing changed in the integration (just added stuff like usual) so maybe it is a licensing thing or they have just been too busy with other things... Did they tell you why it is not integrated yet or an estimate of when they might get to it? I know they still sell new copies of v4 and v5 is a much better program... Oh well, like I said, I do NOT get involved with sales stuff, so I just don't get it...

FWIW, the Acer Iconia W500 easily meets and exceeds their quoted specs and it is just under $500. They have a nifty keyboard dock, too, for about $75 the last time I looked. It s not as slick as the one for the ASUS Transformer, but it works to allow you to type away when attached, adds ports, etc. I would expect this device to drop some around "Black Friday", especially when the Latitude ST comes out as well as a couple of others. Just a thought... I don't think Best Buy lists the W500, just the A100 and A500 (Android.). Of course, this s a 10.1" device, so it is larger than the crop of 7-inchers... Still, worth a look IMHO.

The issue with the Flyer and the pen is that it can only be used in specific apps, not with everything... limited value there IMHO. Users report they like the screen outdoors, though, but it still glossy (most/all are) - the advantage is that it is bright enough to counteract all but really strong direct sun. You will find that several of the newer devices are as bright or brighter and I have been having good results from a few of the better ($20+) anti-glare screen protectors. I will be publishing something on that in November. A more thorough and integrated pen support is a part of Android 4.0, so I did not put pen support for the Flyer in our app. It will be there for Android 4 if the devices which natively support it are popular enough.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 10-27-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Darn typos
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM

I'll wait till black friday and see what is out there. I like the Samsung Galaxy features and specs of the 7.7 from what i've seen online. The Acer is a bit larger, but it is also more machine.

The guy at ACI had no clue on the Apex V.5. Seems like they have been too busy working on their UAD integration from crashing, that everything else was put on the back burner. Apex stand alone works with Windows, but not Android tablets, such as Samsung Galaxy?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread