Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related
Default Anti-Glare screen treatments (prelim)

Hey folks,

I just posted a response to an appraiser on another forum who has ordered the ASUS Transformer. In that post, I covered a bit of Transformer stuff, but also touched on my preliminary findings on Anti-Glare screen treatments that has been asked about in other threads, so I am posting my response here in its entirety in hopes that some of the info is of use to the members here. For the "back-story", Sara was not sure what actual device she had ordered...

-------------------------------------------------
Ahhh, yes – that is it! :-)
I think you will come to like it a lot. Of course, the new one is improved, but we have to expect that in the tech world. For today, the ASUS Transformer that Sara ordered is one of the most compelling “Pads” out there, especially for the optional keyboard dock.

For those interested, I will be doing a write-up on the Transformer 2 (aka Transformer Prime) when mine comes in… These days, I tend to post more of this stuff on the AppraisersForum site, but I chose to post this here because Sara specifically mentioned the TF101…

Sara, you may find the device a bit stiff to open when in the dock and closed like a laptop, but that same stiffness keeps the Pad itself from wobbling about when hinged open. I squirted just a very small amount of some dry graphite powder “spray” into the “hinge” points and it helped a lot. I suppose you could use something like WD-40 since it is essentially “inert” with respect to the components in that area, but just use the smallest of “squirts” on both sides…

Also, since the “keyboard dock” has its own battery (yea!), I found that installing an app like http://tinyurl.com/3kw4ek2 was helpful because I like big, easily discernible battery meters always showing. This app is free and seems to mostly work OK. It may be that this $2.99 widget http://tinyurl.com/3kvpjef would work better… I have not tried it myself, but now that I know about it, I think I will.

Also, the Transformer screen, as good as it is (IPS, blah, blah, blah) is highly reflectivity – more than most. Hence, using it outdoors can be a problem. I have found the WriteSHIELD™ anti-glare screen to help quite a bit while not adversely affecting the touch sensitivity. (For more, non-subjective info on mobile device screens, go here: http://tinyurl.com/3jg4atk) To ME, the WriteSHIELD anti-glare film actually improves the feel, but YMMV on that. Of all the anti-glare films I have tested (15 or 20?), I like the WriteSHIELD the best. The NuShield product might be equal or better, and their company story is heartwarming, but the bottom line is that I have worked with the founder of PPC Techs, Inc. (makers of the WriteSHIELD) since the Pocket PC days and they are a “known entity” to me with a great history of customer service, so I favor them over NuShield. Note, I do NOT sell this stuff, just report my findings. Note also, that currently they only show WriteSHIELDs for the popular iPad 1 and iPad 2. I had to take one of my iPad products and apply it to my Transformer for my subjective tests. The folks at PPC Techs have, however, told me that they can/will make custom cut WriteSHIELDs for popular devices, so be sure to contact them if that is the way you go. Also, be specific – get the anti-GLARE product, not the “Klear Screen” product if you want to control the glare. WriteSHIELD stuff is not “bargain basement” stuff, nor is it the over-priced and underperforming stuff you find in the stores. Still, as a measure, the WriteSHIELD for the iPads are $19.99 for one, or a 2-pack for $34,99, so we’re not talking about a ton of money, either. While this item is highly recommended for the ASUS Transformer, I found that I can strongly recommend it to all iPad users, as well. Next step is to convince them to make one for the Lenovo ThinkPad products I have ;-) Here is a link to the WriteSHIELD page: http://tinyurl.com/3pbg4x4 If you have any problem with custom size stuff, let me know – I might be able to get you in touch with a direct contact.

iPad users may also like their new “case”, the SlateSHIELD: http://tinyurl.com/3qf4lce

-------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread