Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related
Default Samsung Tablet Pictures (prelim)

OK, so one of my retail Samsung Series 7 Tablet PC's came in late today. This is the version you can buy in the stores... :-) Did I mention this thing is FAST and LIGHT? (Cold boots as fast or faster than an iPad and weighs under 2 lbs - pretty impressive for something with an 11.6" screen @ 1,366 x 768.) Anyway, I have gotten lots of email, etc. on this device but since I left my cameras at home today, I took some quick comparison pictures with my crappy cell phone camera, so please excuse the quality. I am only posting 3 pictures but will be doing a full write-up on this piece over the next week and it will have better pictures.

All three pictures were compressed and reduced in size for transmission.
  • The first picture is... ummm... the box. I put it up here so you would see the labeling, etc. 'Nuff said. The next two are comparison shots. Note the device is still in the plastic wrapper, so it does not show as well as it could. I was in a hurry to get these shot and get gone to a meeting.
  • The second one shows it it next to my iPad 2, just to show a relative thickness. The iPad is in a "glove leather" (thin) leather case, so keep that in mind. Still, this thing is thin like you never thought a full Windows Tablet PC could be. The device in the background is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (10.1" Android)
  • The third picture is a more oblique shot of my iPad 2, the Sammy and the Transformer with Keyboard dock to the right.
Hope this helps for now! Let me know if you have any quick questions and I'll try to respond. Detailed stuff will get wrapped into my write-up.

[Edit] The ASUS Transformer in picture #2 has the optional keyboard dock attached, which makes it look thicker. In actuality, the Samsung is virtually identical in thickness to the ASUS Tab when laid together. I meant to show this in picture 3, but in my haste I had the positions of the keyboard dock and Tab reversed - my bad. I will be taking a few more comparative shots today with a real camera, and I will post them here. I have also been asked for a "quick take" on the device so I will try to accommodate. Summarizing on something like this is tough due to the many different factors and varying needs of the appraisal profession. Folks already know I like this device, so I may just stick to top likes and dislikes for now.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM

State: Indiana
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Looked at your Samsung photos. Still see why you really like it, looks like it is as good as your pre-release one. Did you get the 64GBSSD or the larger drive? Standard RAM 4G (dont think they sell unit with more?)Did it come with a keyboard at all, or is that an add-on? How about cases? I can see maybe using this for fieldwork....I guess you will be detailing much of this this week in your review. I look forward to seeing it, particularly if you can show outdoor view next to Lenovo and HP in direct sunlight.... Hope you are enjoying it..... Chris Wagoner
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Chris,

The S4* in the picture, as I am starting to call it now, is the first of a few on the way. That one is a 64 GB model, ordered without keyboard or dock. I think it is running Win 7 Home Premium. It shipped first because it is the most common. The next one to show up is a 128 GB model, also W7HP. I always run "Ultimate" on my Windows machines because I require BitLocker and some other items required by some customer sites I frequent. I am of the opinion that Home Premium is the BB4TB or almost all appraisers. Some guys at the office like "Pro" but everyone has their own criteria.

I have a case, but no recommendation yet. Too new, still searching for the most appropriate one for our needs.

It may take me another week to get to part 1 of the write-up. Have some personal items to tend to this weekend, then I am off on Monday to attend a private show on a new device, one of the last ones for this year that I m excited about.

I think you are in good shape now with your new X220, so I would think you would use that while mobile. You should skip the S4 and look at other time saving and convenience enhancing uses for your money IMHO. Did I mention that new monitor yet? LOL. Your new X220 is such a fine all-around machine, I think you'll be set and the best time for you to consider a mostly mobile piece would be this next summer at the soonest or about this time next year when we see more choices close to the Win 8 release. The S4 is a great machine, especially for those wanting/needing an upgrade to their old machine - like you WERE...

People I show the device to are blown away by the dimensions, weight and performance. An appraiser I showed it to today was looking at my iPad 2, my Motion CL 900, several Android Pads, etc., and despite my advice to wait for a predicted price drop later this year, used my S4 to log onto his Amazon account and ordered 2 on the spot - paid a premium, again against my advice. I sometimes forget that most folks don't have the access to devices I do, so I get jaded. It takes a lot to impress me these days, and the S4 does. That said, they will get better- the S4 is "just" the reference design. Did I tell you it boots faster than my iPad 2 and the screen is both brighter and viewable outdoors? I think it needs an anti-glare treatment but the guy today did not. I'll post pix as you requested for your comparison, but again, I suggest that you will get more bang for your buck by spending less on that new screen. If you REALLY want a mobile Pad to compliment your X220, let's wait for my Latitude ST to come in for a comparison test first.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/

(* Samsung Series Seven Slate = SSSS = S4)
Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 PM

I have been entertaining the thought of getting my wife a device. I began looking at Android and Ipad applications, but I think she will need full OS to run quickbooks. I am not looking to change what I am doing for me, but this unit may well fit her needs and make a good backup and/or toy for me as well. Not completely sold on what to do as of yet, but I am staying in tune here just to see how rate this device....after it is out to the public... Now you have me intrigued by the Latitude. I assume that is the additional device you eluded to earlier about coming yet this fall. Cant wait to see what you come up with..Thanks again for your help and expertise.... Chris Wagoner
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Chris,

If she needs to run "real QB" (vs. something claiming to be "just as good, better, whatever) a full Win 7 OS may be best. That said, there is always the QB on-line version(s) which might free you of that restriction. One of my companies has used QB for quite a while, and there is no way they would switch, and the IT guy there says "No way am I putting our financial transactions on-line or have the books subject to hosting issues" so I cannot give you any personal, real world examples/recommendations on that possibility. That said, I would personally be inclned to consider QB on-line if it would give me more viable choices in my device selection. I think the QB folks (Intuit) have certainly contended with security and hosting issues early on and have viable policies and contingencies in place already. The reason the company I mentioned will not switch is most likely a personal bias/fear of a change in the status quo or in "control" (a common issue with IT folks, even if it is well meant) vs. an actual security or performance issue. Point is, this approach is likely an option for you, so don't let MY folks' outlook overly influence you.

A second observation is that most women needing a device really like the iPads and sometimes geeky type guys like to push stuff WE like on them. Think "typical male Home Theater System"... ;-)
  • Geek: "Here is how you start up the system..."
  • SWMBO*: ( 5 min later) "Why can't there just be an on/off button?"
  • Geek: "You don't understand honey, <sigh>. It is more sophisticated than that - let's go over the process one more time First, the power conditioner needs to check the integrity of the line source, then we need to ... (10 min later) ... Then the sub woofers kick in and there you go - all ready to watch The Cooking Channel."
  • SYMBO: "But Lisa said her TV just has one remote and all she has to do is press a button that says 'TV' and everything just works."
  • Geek: "OK, fine. I'll go get a new Universal Remote Control. I read about it the other day on Geek.com. It has the new ULV Z670 in it with an addressable cache, 4 GB of RAM and dual load balancers, so I can..."

Point is, maybe the best thing for the long term relationship aspects would be to let her pick several devices she likes and then you see which one works best from the technical aspects... I am guessing she would like an iPad or even a smaller high quality Android Pad better than the S4. Of all the devices my wife has to choose from for reading, for her it came down to which one fit in her purse the best and which one had the easiest way to get books. Of course, I wanted her to want the larger, higher resolution devices, but I failed to understand the Power of the Purse aspect... ;-). Thankfully, a female appraiser friend, and geek in her own right, came to my aid and set me straight.

Anyway, maybe a decent netbook or UltraBook might be the ticket if she likes laptops and desires something more svelte than what she has now. You might both be impressed with some of the new UltraBooks coming to market now. Think "MacBook Air" but made for Windows. Two or tyree of them are arguably better for your purposes than a MBA and just as light & stylish. Going with a MBA is also viable - you just have to jump through some minor hoops to get it going the way I think you might envision. Most folks have never seen/used an UltraBook and they are so new that the dorfs at the local Best Buy don't know much about them yet. I recommend you check them out. Don't confuse them with net books - we're talkin' core i5 or better, 11.6" screens or better, etc... I just don't think a Tablet PC is the best thing for primarily running a program like QB, etc. since it is designed for mouse and keyboard. Now, if your secret plan is to find an excuse for another Tablet PC, well... I understand, LOL. IF you can work on-line with QB, the upcoming Transformer Prime might be a contender as a fit...

Finally, the device I am going to see is not the ST, it is an Enterprise level Android device.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*

/end/

*SWMBO is an old humorous acronym for "She Who Must Be Obeyed" which gained popularity in former appraisal forums.

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 11-05-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added definition, herein credited to Brian Davis
Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Just remembered that I owe some better pictures on this and another thread. Sorry for the delay - been involved on a personal project for my mom and you know how that goes... ;-) I'll snap some on some uncluttered surface and put them up before I go to bed tonight...

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

[Edit] - OK, so these aren't the best (again), but I took 'em, so I might as well send 'em. Tried to stay in the pixel size guidelines for posting here, so the are reduced. These were shot with a compact shooter, not one of my DSLRs. While uploading I see that I could have gone with a larger file size... If you want, I will shoot more when I am at the office under better lighting conditions and with a better camera. Hope they help.

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

While I was shooting, I took 3 other shots (also reduced now. These were shot in direct afternoon sun. All we shot with the sun directly behind me and the fun hitting the screen. The first is with S7S reflecting back into the direction of the sun and the screen set to Auto-Brightness. The next one is the same but with the screen manually set to Max Brightness. The third one is with the run reflecting back into the camera. This is one way to show the nit brightness and the contrast from a direct bonding process. Once I put an anti-glare screen on this unit, I will take some more and post them. If I can find an odd piece of WriteSHIELD material, I will cover half of another S7S screen to show the difference as best I can. All of this is time permitting, of course.

Note, I have not tweaked the screen settings on the device to make it a truer white. The device is tuned for indoors out of the box and typically you can raise the temp some to make the whites brighter without having to max out the LED back-lighting.

Hope these help!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Nice photos... That is a great looking device.. Sure out classes the former stuff, of course new stuff always seems to do that. Loved your post, showed it to my wife. She appreciated the sentiment as well. Good valid points. Oddly enough, she is excited just to have my old X61 to play with for the time being. Her sites may not be set as high as mine.... Keep posted on likes and dislikes... Chriw Wagoner
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread