Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Owner requests one of my photos

Hi all.

I'm not sure if this would be a USPAP violation or not.

I did a purchase appraisal for a single family investment property. It was tenant occupied and the owner was not there when I did the inspection.

The owner just emailed me and asked that I email him the rear photo that I took.

Can I do this or should I tell him no? He's not my client, nor is he the borrower.

I'm tempted to tell him forgetaboutit, you're the owner, go over there and take your own rear photo.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM

State: Florida

I am going to answer that with a question. Have you ever taken a picture and for some unknown reason not turned out quite right. Or have you forgotten a bath photo or a rear photo and have had to contact the owner to email you a photo? I have! And the owner has always been kind enough to help!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Since I just finished watching Penn & Teller Tell a Lie...
Protect your photos at all cost!!! It's in USPAP! Or is it? Maybe do a Google search?? Hint...you won't find it. Nothing in USPAP about photos or inspecting.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sawyer View Post
Have you ever taken a picture and for some unknown reason not turned out quite right. Or have you forgotten a bath photo or a rear photo...
Yes I have, and I've always gone back out to take the photo myself. I simply won't trust anyone that much to email me a photo.

That said, the guy asking for my rear photo (well, not MY rear photo, the houses rear photo) isn't my client and isn't the borrower.

I want to help him but my gut is telling me to tell him no.

Do the photos I take during the course of my inspection belong to me or to the client? Or both? If he got the client/lender to send me a letter saying it's OK with them, then I would. But by the time he got that to happen he could go take the photo himself.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 PM

State: Colorado

Tell him to get a copy of the appraisal from the lender and he will have all the pictures you have included in the appraisal. Problem solved!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seylhouwer View Post
Tell him to get a copy of the appraisal from the lender and he will have all the pictures you have included in the appraisal. Problem solved!
It's a purchase appraisal and he's the owner (off site landlord), not the borrower, so he won't get a copy.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM

State: Oklahoma

DONT SEND IT!!
1)He was NOT your client
2)The purpose of the appraisal was for a purchase so the borrower is the one who the Lender would provide a copy to NOT the Seller.
3)He is trying to obtain from you what he is probably being denied by the Lender/Borrower for whatever reason, who cares-stay away from involving yourself.
4)The pictures belong to who took them-YOU......The Lender is not dumb enough to put it in writing telling you to release them to the Seller, he has no relationship with Lender!

Last edited by DeAnna Coley : 11-02-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnna Coley View Post
DONT SEND IT!!
1)He was NOT your client
2)The purpose of the appraisal was for a purchase so the borrower is the one who the Lender would provide a copy to NOT the Seller
3)He is trying to obtain from you what he is probably being denied by the Lender/Borrower for whatever reason, who cares-stay away from involving yourself.
4)The pictures belong to who took them-YOU
Thanks, that was what my gut was telling me too.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM

State: Michigan

It is an exterior photo and does not give him the opinion of value or anything else confidential.

Be a nice guy and send him the photo.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 PM

State: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan CG View Post
It is an exterior photo and does not give him the opinion of value or anything else confidential.

Be a nice guy and send him the photo.
Maybe my sarcasm missed the point Michigan is making.... send the dang photo. You may win over another future client/customer. So darn many are scared of their own shadow on this forum for fear of breaking some confidentially rule that doesn't exist. Hell, send me the address, I'll give them a rear photo from Bing, or pay a local college kid working for CoStar to take the pic. Then *I* might win a future client. If it's of public records or is visible from public airspace, what's the big feggin' deal!!!???
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread