Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:43 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Commercial Use Accessory Unit

I looked at a house last week (Corrales for the locals), that had a nice big main house, an art studio of lesser quality, a detached garage with horse stables and a tack room. The sticky part is a detached guest house that is set up as a doctor's office. One bedroom is the doctor's office, the other is an exam room complete with an exam table with stirrups. There is no kitchen, it is used as a file storage area.

Good construction, would make a nice little guest house.

Since it is used as a commercial space, can I or should I try to value it as part of a residential refi appraisal. Zoning allows for a home based business as long as the space is 1,000 sf or less. This space is closer to 1500.

Thinking of addressing it as an accessory unit with no kitchen and let the UW deal with the commercial use of the property.

Last edited by Lobo Fan : 11-06-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2011, 04:23 PM

State: Rhode Island
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I don't know you area but it seems you have more than one accessory unit. Are they all legal? Regardless, it appears you are in the territory of illegal use with commerical space exceeding what is allowed for home based business. Check with zoning to confirm legal use status. Better to run this by the lender first rather than submit an appraisal for them to deal with.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Mixed use... fannie used to have some limits. IMHO, it is a "residential" property when the HBU is "Residential" and the bulk of the improvements are "residential" and the accessory unit(s) are readily convertable to "residential" uses....someone with a professional office, a private machine shop in their shed, etc... it's really "residential" as HBU.
My cousin works out of his house. It is zoned R-O - residential office, a CPA. For formal meetings he has a small office to meet clients, otherwise, he is working at home.. ditto for me and a host of other appraisers. But if we packed our stuff and sold out, wouldn't it be just a house and /or with outbuilding?

OTOH, I was sent to appraise a "residence" and there was a 6,000 SF shop building that was clearly used as a body shop and the shop had a paint room, prep room, and frame straightening machine in addition to a hoist....that's a different animal. The bulk of value was in the business, not the double wide.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

The parcel size is over 4 acres so lots of room for everything. I noted a room on a sketch once as an office that had french doors leading out to a patio area. The UW kept coming back wanting to know if there were any commercial uses of that space. It was just a home office, but I started calling them dens after that one. This is distinctly a commercial use. I am going to lob this one back to the client for guidance.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread