Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Commercial/Industrial Appraisals
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:37 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Whoa. Good news for MAI candidates!

From an AI email I received today:

Complete the demo requirement for your MAI Designation in 2 months!

General Demonstration Report-Capstone Program

This new program requires the same skills and knowledge base as the traditional demo requirement to produce a complete demonstration appraisal report. However, this program was designed to offer an option that accelerates the completion of the report. Instead of selecting and compiling data on a property, participants are provided with a subject property and data to analyze and then write the report in a limited time span of approximately two months.

The program is structured as follows:

Timeframe to complete program & demo report

Days 1-21: Download materials, begin review of materials
Day 22: WEBINAR #1: Introduction to Program & Intro to Fundamental Market Analysis (1.5 hours)
Days 23-38: Complete assignment: Fundamental Market Analysis
Day 39: Assignment due
Day 47: WEBINAR #2: Feedback on Fundamental Market Analysis (1 hour)
Days 48-66: Continue working on other parts of the report up to HBU
Days 67-73: CLASSROOM SESSION
Day 73: General demonstration report due at noon

Participant deliverables

Submit pre-class assignment (Fundamental Market Analysis)
Submit assignments at end of each day to gauge progress
Finish all sections of the demonstration appraisal report by noon on 7th classroom session day

NOTE: A minimum of 100-140 hours is expected to successfully complete this program. During the 7-day classroom session, participants should expect to work on their reports after the 7-hour days spent in the classroom. That week, 10-12 hour days will not be unusual.

Last edited by Roger Murdock : 11-17-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Title got truncated
Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 PM

State: Colorado

What are the requirements before you can attend the demo program?

-Ray
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrienza View Post
What are the requirements before you can attend the demo program?

-Ray
The following prerequisites that must be completed in order to register:

Advanced Market Analysis/HBU OR equivalent
General Demonstration Appraisal Report Writing seminar (available online) OR General Demo Report Writing Workshop (within the last 24 months)
Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM

State: Arkansas

Quote:
participants are provided with a subject property and data to analyze and then write the report in a limited time span of approximately two months.
Sure helps in the real world doesn't it? How many clients give you 2 months to complete a report ... oh well.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Finally a realistic approach to demo reports.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:45 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrel L. Shields View Post
Sure helps in the real world doesn't it? How many clients give you 2 months to complete a report ... oh well.
On larger projects a two month timeframe isn't unrealistic.

Most say that they never ever again write anything as involved as their demo report--2 months is a relatively short timeframe for such an endeavor.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

State: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post

Most say that they never ever again write anything as involved as their demo report--2 months is a relatively short timeframe for such an endeavor.
That's what I was thinking... 2 months for a demo report that is truly a self contained? One would have to save up $$$$$ to almost be able to take a month and a half off work just to do the demo. It's intense and many don't make it with their first draft of the report.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post

Mine took me three years ...
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM

State: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
That's what I was thinking... 2 months for a demo report that is truly a self contained? One would have to save up $$$$$ to almost be able to take a month and a half off work just to do the demo. It's intense and many don't make it with their first draft of the report.
I think that 2 months to write the demo report is more than sufficient time. The hard part is typically gathering data. Since the data is provided to you, you just need to assemble, sort, analyze and report it using your knowledge. Most people drive themselves batty just finding a property which would be demo worthy and then getting all of the needed data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL1957 View Post
Mine took me three years ...
I had one client tell me it took her 10 years (couple of kids, too much work, etc). I am heeding her advice to not put it off... my kids are 3 years and 3 months old, respectively. I know that I can easily get caught up in that trap!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Falkowski View Post
I think that 2 months to write the demo report is more than sufficient time. The hard part is typically gathering data. Since the data is provided to you, you just need to assemble, sort, analyze and report it using your knowledge. Most people drive themselves batty just finding a property which would be demo worthy and then getting all of the needed data.
I'm not aware of the nature of the data provided for this alternative, but I did take the SRA demo alternative and yes, they provided me with a package containing the data necessary to complete the report.

However, that data was in no particular order, there was substantial irrelevent data to sort out, and after the relevent data was gleaned from the chaff, there was still plenty of analysis that was required.

And isn't a demo report about one's ability to organize, analyze, draw reasonable conclusions based upon that analysis, and then coherently report the analysis and conclusions? A "real world" demo report writer could very easily have an assistant collect a bunch of data for the writer to sort, analyze, etc, etc.

It was also reported that grading of the report produced in the SRA demo alternative course was more stringent than grading for a traditional demo. However, I don't know if this was factual or not.

But, as was the case with the SRA demo alternative, I'm sure there will be MAIs who know absolutely nothing about the work required for this demo "course", yet will proclaim their superiority because they did it the "hard way."

I'm pretty sure that, as part of the transition to a "professional society", AI will create a designation considered "superior" to the MAI designation; something to match the requirements for a FRICS designation.

Closed Thread