Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Commercial/Industrial Appraisals
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Golf course appraisal help

I just started a new job with the state of Louisiana Tax Commission, and my first assignment has been to prepare for a "possible" appraisal of an high end golf course in North Louisiana. I am no golfer and have never done an appraisal on this kind of facility. I feel like I'm being feed to the wolves so and advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Some back ground....The course was built by a local multi-millionaire, ten years ago. It was built in hopes of attracting PGA tournaments ... but to date none have been held there. Residential development around the course is about 15-20%. It is located in an area of rural residential homes, pasture and timber land...no zoning...and its H&BU would likely be continued use as a golf course. The owner feels that he is the highest assessed course in the state, but he has not yet filed a grievance nor has he got his own appraisal...so this assignment is up in the air so to speak.

From what I have gathered on AF, the income approach is difficult with no readily available income data and cap rates, there are no sales in Louisiana to speak of, and it would be hard to determine the different types of depreciation associated with this course.

What kind of advice can anyone give me?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I'm preparing three cases for golf course (for tax appeal purposes.) I've sent two of the three to the assessor's appraisers.

PM me your email address and when I find get to see their methodology I might be able to share it with you.

I used income and sales approaches and expressed value as a unit of comparison ($/hole.)

Last edited by CANative : 12-06-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM

State: Texas

As a certified appraiser who is still required to conform with USPAP, I would think that you would want to consider associating yourself with someone who has the experience to do this. Surely, you can find someone to assist you with this, right?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

In California you retire your state appraiser license and start using a designation specific to tax assessment. USPAP is not relevant.

Louisiana Real Estate Appraisal Board:

Quote:
H. The provisions of this Chapter shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person, partnership, association, or corporation that performs appraisals of property owned by that person, partnership, association, or corporation.

(2) A court-appointed individual who conducts an appraisal pursuant to a judicially ordered evaluation of the specific real property under litigation.

(3) A director, officer, or salaried employee of commercial banks, savings banks, credit unions, and savings and loan associations, when engaged in appraisal or evaluation activities for and on behalf of such financial institutions, unless there is a fee charged for the appraisal or evaluation, provided that a federal statute, rule, or regulation does not require such appraisal or evaluation activities to be performed by a state licensed real estate appraiser.

(4) State, parish, or municipal public officers or their salaried employees while performing their duties as such, except when the intended use of the appraisal is for acquisition of real property.

(5) A person appointed by a sheriff to make an appraisal in accordance with R.S. 13:4364 or 4365.

(6) A person or firm contracted by a state, parish, or municipal tax authority to perform mass appraisal assignments.

(7) Employees of the Department of Transportation and Development; however, the provisions of this Chapter shall apply to such employees after June 30, 2010.

(8) A certified public accountant when engaged by a client to perform a business valuation under both of the following conditions:

Last edited by CANative : 12-06-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Default You'll need this book.

Here's the gold standard:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...rmaonbasicskA/
Old 12-06-2011, 01:56 PM

State: Michigan

Brian...PM me I have a friend who specializes in these things all over the world. He also happens to be in Houston not too far from you.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Most of our golf courses have been taken over by the township or county. This is a resort area where most of the major resorts took a dive over the past 10 years. But residential growth was tremendous and cleared land became a highest and best use issue. But, the townships did not want the courses plowed under so now the tax payers are supporting them.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

You might check with these folks for a referral.
http://golfappraisers.org/
Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Golf courses are a pain. Just finished one a couple of weeks ago and continue to regret that I accepted the assignment. Income approach is problematic as it yields a going concern value including FF&E and goodwill. Sales data is usually so diverse (variety of building types, varying course quality, etc.) to make comparison difficult if not impossible. Ultimately, I just hope that I got close.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 PM

State: New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative View Post
In California you retire your state appraiser license and start using a designation specific to tax assessment. USPAP is not relevant.

Louisiana Real Estate Appraisal Board:

So its ok for someone to lack total competence and "appraise" something for taxation? SERIOUSLY???

No matter the rules it borders on being totally unethical even when you say the ethics dont apply.

Closed Thread