Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Flood Maps Problems

I had been using Realquest for my flood maps and other data. With business so slow I decided I can canel my subscription and save $150 a month. I went to the FEMA site but their maps are out of date Florida has changed a lot of areas from flood zone to non flood zone. So FEMA is not much help, unless of course I'm doing something wrong. I was thinking of using Alamode flood maps. It's a lot cheaper than Realquest. Does anyone
know how to get the latest and greatest flood maps from FEMA? Or any other service? Thank you in advance.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Wouldn't flood map providers (alamode, et al.) get their data from FEMA in the first place?

With a touch of practice, you can quickly produce a nice pdf map that is easily put in the report. Simply type in the address and boom, there is the map. For rural properties, use the state, county, township/town (first map - top of the list - shows entire area, then look for the map number nearest to the subject for the specific map). I refuse to pay a $1+ for a one click flood map.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM

State: Nevada

I use AlaMode flood maps. They are pretty good and automatic when you are creating location maps. But. On occasion those are not correct. FEMA is accurate and up to date. I use their site to create firmettes when needed or when there is a disagreement.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Default Flood Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTip View Post
Wouldn't flood map providers (alamode, et al.) get their data from FEMA in the first place?

With a touch of practice, you can quickly produce a nice pdf map that is easily put in the report. Simply type in the address and boom, there is the map. For rural properties, use the state, county, township/town (first map - top of the list - shows entire area, then look for the map number nearest to the subject for the specific map). I refuse to pay a $1+ for a one click flood map.
My problem is my state Florida changed a lot of areas from flood to non flood and for some reason the FEMA maps are still giving the old map info. I have been using Realquest there maps are correct and they don't jive with the FEMA maps. I heard Alamode flood maps were incorrect too. Real quest gets $150 a month. What to do?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM

I don't understand how Realquest data is more accurate than FEMA. If FEMA is wrong then where does Realquest get the correct data?

When it comes to flood insurance, FEMA is the final call. Even if zones were changed locally, until FEMA changes the zone, you still have to pay for the insurance based on the most update map (insurance hat on).

If FEMA says it's in a flood zone, they have the final word. Until these maps are changed by FEMA, their word is gold.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTip View Post
I don't understand how Realquest data is more accurate than FEMA. If FEMA is wrong then where does Realquest get the correct data?

When it comes to flood insurance, FEMA is the final call. Even if zones were changed locally, until FEMA changes the zone, you still have to pay for the insurance based on the most update map (insurance hat on).

If FEMA says it's in a flood zone, they have the final word. Until these maps are changed by FEMA, their word is gold.
The maps are being changed I just don't know how to get the newer maps. I keep getting the old maps that I know are wrong. I have one in front of me right now where RQ says it's in AH but flood zone marked no which is correct this is showing the new flood code. When you look at FEMA map it's a different map # all together so that really has me all f up, So RQ has the correct map so how did they get it?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM

The flood zone information is for the bank to decide if the property needs flood insurance. We know that.

FEMA makes the maps, FEMA sells the insurance.

How Realquest gets data BEFORE FEMA does is beyond me. I think, in my opinion, that whatever FEMA says on a specific date is what it is. At least that is what the insurance, needed or not, will be based on.

Although the maps are in the process of being changed, It's had to argue with the 'source' of the 'source'. The only thing I know that supersedes a FEMA flood map is an 'elevation certificate'.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM

State: Nevada

Your STATE is changing the flood maps? What do they know that FEMA doesn't? Will they sell Flood Insurance to a homeowner? Will the lender accept it?

You can actually talk to someone at FEMA you know? Try giving them a call.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 PM

State: Alabama
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrum View Post
Your STATE is changing the flood maps? What do they know that FEMA doesn't? Will they sell Flood Insurance to a homeowner? Will the lender accept it?

You can actually talk to someone at FEMA you know? Try giving them a call.
How do you know the STATE is changing the flood maps?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM

FEMA updated our county in 2008, new maps and zoning. The state didn't do it, just FEMA. I used the FEMA firmettes during the transition but the county was on top of the process and published the new zoning pretty quickly. I would call FEMA and find out how to view or purchase the new maps if they aren't yet available on line.

What is the effective date of the new flood zone information? Maybe the information was released to the county or public records prior to the release of new maps, but the flood zone change will take place in the future.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread