Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Commercial/Industrial Appraisals
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Appraising Community Water Well Sites

I've been asked to do several appraisals on small operating community well sites for one of our clients. Have looked through the Lum Library and searched the forums for info on appraising them, trying to figure out if there are any issues there that I'm overlooking that might cause an issue with competence... they are all small systems (15-40 units served) that were put in place by the developers and sold to third parties for continued operation, seems to me it would be a pretty straight forward income approach plus sales comparison.

Not quite sure how to handle management costs though, it's not really something you can find a "manager" to handle... most of these operators collect systems and run the whole operation themselves. That's the only stumper I've come across so far. Anybody have experience with these?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Assuming they are regulated in some way are their budgets and expenses a matter of public record?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM

State: New Mexico

Most of these operations are conducted by non profits if they are small systems and management is done on a volunteer basis. I would think you would be looking at the value of the going concern or a value in use ... and I dont know about your area, but in mine, the water rights would be valuable to such a degree as they would most proably hold the majority of value in the system.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 AM

State: Arkansas

Water rights in the East are a little different.

I would suggest that managing the properties is like most other outside managers...Depending on the labor involved "management" usually falls in the 5-10% of income range.

Closed Thread