Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default I'm writing an FHA "hoarder" home appraisal

Does anybody know the terms I'm allowed to use to describe the properties condition

I believe it meets the minimum FHA standards but the photos make it look worse.

What conditions should I require

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM

State: North Carolina

Describe it in real terms without personal judgement.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM

How about something like this:

Exterior condition:
The subject has a newer stamped metal roof in good condition. The exterior siding is composed of very old, asbestos shingles many of which are broken, cracked and possibly deteriorating. If these asbestos shingles are friable, special procedures would be required for the safe handling and disposal as asbestos is considered a hazardous substance. Wood sash window framing has a severe lack of preservation and window glazing is dried and cracked. The asbestos siding is below the grade and the appraiser could not observed the foundation and could not access the crawl space. It appears there is a very high possibility for wood to earth contact which presents the possibility of infestation. Owner states that the foundation is partial post and pier and stacked concrete blocks. Interior flooring felt uneven and the possibility of settlement or other structural problems cannot be ruled out. Exterior condition would be rated as fair. Extensive repairs would be required to bring the condition to average and marketable. Inspection by professional contractor and pest control company required to reliably estimate repair costs.

The interior appears to be in poor condition. The interior could not be fully observed by the appraiser due to an extreme amount of personal property, debris and clutter. In many cases, some rooms were not accessible because they were filled wall to wall and floor to ceiling with hoarded materials. All floor coverings are in need of replacement. Numerous pets were in the house and pet odor was significant. It's likely that special procedures would be required to mitigate this situation. The upper level bath was blocked by debris and the appraiser could not enter. Photos of the upper level bedrooms were taken through doors which could only be partially opened due to excessive debris and personal property. Stairwell was partially blocked by debris. The lower level areas are accessible through narrow pathways through stacked clutter and hoarded materials. The lower level bathroom appears to have significant water damage to wooden bath surrounds. It's likely that there is water damage to the flooring, sub-flooring and possibly the structural components and wall framing.

The appraiser is not qualified to estimate repair costs under these conditions. Inspection by professional contractors and pest control experts would be required for a reliable cost estimate which would be required in order to develop a n opinion of value. It's likely that such inspections would require the removal of much of the materials and the cost of removal and disposal of this quantity of materials would be significant.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM

State: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Welch View Post
I believe it meets the minimum FHA standards but the photos make it look worse.
How would you know? Are you really going to risk it? There have been other threads like this. I say you call the lender/amc and send them the photos. I would not write the report. It is your license ayour FHA certification on the line. if you do the report, pray it does not get reviewed.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackodu View Post
How would you know? Are you really going to risk it? There have been other threads like this. I say you call the lender/amc and send them the photos. I would not write the report. It is your license ayour FHA certification on the line. if you do the report, pray it does not get reviewed.
That's what I did on that one. The comments are from a photo/comment report I sent them. The appraisal was cancelled and I was paid an inspection fee.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Underneath many hoarder households is a vacant dwelling so repugnant in terms of cosmetic appeal that it is not salable without complete cleaning and redecor.

If you have one of these, good luck describing it as FHA compliant.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM

State: Maryland

It all depends on how you define the term "hoarder". It is only clutter until such time as you start looking around for the TV cameras. That is when I know the hoarding threshold has been crossed and I am not going to write the report.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:06 AM

State: Illinois

Depending on how deep and what type of items are on the bottom of the hoard, there is often mold and decayed flooring/drywall underneath - especially in front of kitchen/bath sinks. I typically state that due to numerous personal items it is unknown if the home meets minimum FHA property standards because some areas are not visible.

Is the hoard substantial enough that it precludes one from making a quick exit during a fire? Then it may be a saftey issue.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 AM

according to FHA....when hoarder conditions exists which doesn't allow the appraiser to properly view the subject, the appraiser is expected to condition the appraisal for better viewing or inform the lender of the condition which doesn't allow you to properly view the subject. . that was stated to me during a recent FHA seminar by a head honcho from the santa ana HOC.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread