Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Beavers View Post
I am hoping there are finally automatic adjustments for site size, basement unfinished and basement finished now that UAD has standardized those fields. You can always override in the pop up the same way you can with GLA.

Also typing comments in Total2011 is still a nightmare! Where you type relative to where the blinking cursor is, is not always the same.
OSUB, we're including an awesome auto-adjuster, though it might be out shortly after the initial release because it's adapting the full side-by-side Aurora approach to the new engine (harder than it sounds, if you want to do it right, and we do).

We've asked you on this forum dozens of times to allow us to walk through the cursor problem you say you have, and last I checked, we were unable to ever get you to work directly with us. We have no idea who you are, so we can't call and can't diagnose it on your machine.

We've changed a LOT on the new "Mako" engine's text handling -- part of why the Mako generation engine in TOTAL 2013 is five times faster than the prior Armstrong engine in TOTAL 2011 -- and we'd love to see if it fixes your issue. But we can't if you're never willing to work with us.

PLEASE email me personally, dave at alamode.com, so that we can get with you. My bet is it works fine under Mako, but that's guessing in the dark without being able to contact you.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM

State: Indiana
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Is Spectrum Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbiggers View Post
We're basically taking what we had planned as Spectrum, simplifying it (that's what's taken the extra time -- Spectrum was technologically sound, but conceptually demanding), and pushing it out as a steady stream of enhancements.
So after waiting over 2 years for Spectrum to be released am I to assume it is no longer in the works?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W Street View Post
So after waiting over 2 years for Spectrum to be released am I to assume it is no longer in the works?
No, the exact opposite. I'm saying Spectrum is now the architechture inside TOTAL 2013 rather than a separate and overly complex system, with the first visible piece being the Properties Database (comps, listings, rentals, with geospatial analysis), which is already in beta hands and which will go out publicly at the same time as the new forms engine. Other pieces of Spectrum -- photo db's, spreadsheet analysis, regression, research tools, comps defense, etc. -- are following right behind it.

Even the Properties DB was redesigned to consolidate multiple Spectrum components, such as the RETS based MLS connection piece. it's much better than the original Spectrum concept, which was a complete change in workflow for most appraisers. It's now the core of Spectrum but easier to use and more transparent.

What, exactly, from Spectrum have you been waiting on, so I can answer your question more specifically?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM

State: Kansas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

My wish list includes a greatly revamped Quickpix. I just bought new SanDisk Extreme SD cards and a USB 3.0 reader. It is blazing fast using other programs, such as Adobe Lightroom. Exponentially faster than my old 2.0 reader setup. But is only about 5% faster when loading Previews in Quickpix.

Also, Quickpix should be able to be expanded to fullscreen with larger previews. This small box stuff stinks. And it needs to support RAW and geotagging! Well...maybe not RAW, I guess, but geotagging would be nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM

I have a silver membership, no fee for upgrades. I have both Aurora and Total 2011 on my computer and I am getting used to Total 2011. I like the side by side view for comps and listing and rentals. I like the way it integrates sketch with form everything seems to move much faster. I will be sticking with Total 2011 and most likely be quite happy when Total 2013 comes out.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default Release date?

Dave, are you able to provide a release date for WinTotal 2013 as yet?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxArmadillo View Post
Dave, are you able to provide a release date for WinTotal 2013 as yet?
The best I can say right now is "soon", because I'm on vacation and haven't been in the loop the last couple of weeks as they lock down the schedule. Next week I'm back and we start gearing up the pre-launch process, and I'll know more definitively. We'll get the date locked down and published.

I can tell you this -- the team had planned to release it this week, but I asked them to let me make some suggestions and change some things. So realize that "soon" does mean soon. This isn't a speculative product. They've been banging on it since late last year after UAD died down some.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM

State: Indiana
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbiggers View Post
What, exactly, from Spectrum have you been waiting on
Databases, I really like all of the features of Aurora, in my opinion it is a great piece of appraisal software very inventive in its day. But it is a little like Windows 98, great OS but who doesn't look forward to a new and improved OS? I saw the proposed new tools of Spectrum as a way to increase productivity and accuracy of my reports. Iíve just been looking forward to its release and your post kind of sounded like it was being scrapped. Glad to hear it is still alive and I look forward to finally upgrading.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Databases, I really like all of the features of Aurora, in my opinion it is a great piece of appraisal software very inventive in its day. But it is a little like Windows 98, great OS but who doesn't look forward to a new and improved OS? I saw the proposed new tools of Spectrum as a way to increase productivity and accuracy of my reports. Iíve just been looking forward to its release and your post kind of sounded like it was being scrapped. Glad to hear it is still alive and I look forward to finally upgrading.
You're the "poster child" for why we simply went back to the tried-and-true solution of tightly coupling the databases back into TOTAL instead of deploying Spectrum as a standalone product platform. Most people simply wanted what's in Aurora to be in TOTAL. But by the same token, there are people who want TOTAL to stay simple and uncluttered (a goal which we're always working on -- 2013 includes a lot of simplifications to the core experience as well). So we took Spectrum's name off while leaving the foundation technology, made it tightly coupled to the forms engine, and kept it sufficiently out of the way for people who just use their forms engine as a fancy typewriter. For those who want power, the former Spectrum components all integrate tightly yet run in their own windows, making workflow more flexible.

That was the Achilles heel of the previous Spectrum. It forced you to change approaches instead of allowing you to do it optionally. It was based on the workfile premise, that you should start your research and gather everything into a workfile, and only after that fire up whatever output method you chose to write up the report -- forms, narrative, napkin, whatever. While that matches the lofty appraisal process in spirit, the simple reality is that people are inextricably attuned to everything being around a forms core. They envision appraising as form filling, not form filling as one method of reporting an appraisal. So by building Spectrum in that abstract way, we were forcing people to rethink and alter their day-to-day process.

This new way allows everyone to choose the workflow that suits them. You can fire up the Spectrum components outside the forms engine for use in narratives and so on, but they don't operate around a theoretically pure work file core either. It's simpler this way, but that rethinking -- not to mention the train wreck of the UAD initiative diverting valuable resources away from Spectrum -- wasn't an overnight process. I'm glad we redid it. You'll like it.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM

State: Vermont

Quote:
Same here. The DB has been a huge time saver in Aurora (once I actually started using it). Didn't realize how much until the UAD change over, when I had to re-enter everything.

Glad to hear an update on this....was beginning to fear it was scrapped.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread