Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Banking/Mortgage Industry
Default Appraiser Liability Prevention CE Classes in NY and N. VA

I am presenting -- on behalf of LIA -- our 4-hour liability prevention CE class "Loss Prevention Program for Real Estate Appraisers" on the dates below.

Who is suing appraisers? What do they sue for? When does the FDIC file a lawsuit? Why can appraisers be sued more than five years after the appraisal – i.e., what are the relevant statutes of limitation? What kinds of liabilities do review appraisers face? What kinds of language should I use to decrease liability risk? These are the types of questions answered by the seminar.

Wappingers Falls, NY, October 10, 2012, 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm at Greenbaum & Gilhooley's Restaurant, 1379 Route 9. Hosted by the Mid Hudson Chapter of the Appraisal Institute. Registration is through the chapter. The chapter's charge is $40 (for both members and non-members). Registration information is at http://www.midhudsonai.org/Loss_Prevention_Seminar.pdf. CE approval notes: our class is approved for 4 hours of appraiser CE in NY, NJ, PA, RI and MA (and many other states), but not in CT. Approval is pending in VT (check with me if you will need VT credit. Of special interest to NY appraisers, I will address the recent filing of approximately 35 appraiser negligence cases by a hedge fund-related investment group named LSF6 Mercury REO Investments.

Northern Virginia, October 11, 2012, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the Dulles Area Association of Realtors, 21720 Red Rum Drive, #177, Ashburn, VA 20147. Hosted by the Northern VA Chapter of the Appraisal Institute. This class is free to N. VA Chapter members. It is $40 for non-members (payable by check at the seminar). Please bring your own food or snacks for the seminar because we won't be taking a full lunch break -- just 15-20 minutes. CE approval notes: our class is approved for 4 hours of appraiser CE in VA, MD, PA, and DE (and many other states), but not in WV or DC -- the class was previously approved in DC and an application for approval is pending in DC, but I can't predict when it will be processed. Appraisers interested in attending this seminar, can contact me directly by email to peter@liability.com or can contact Craig Sewell, SRA at the contact information on the chapter's website at http://nova-ai.org/contact.html.

Appraisers who are insured by LIA’s E&O program with Liberty Mutual, or who purchase E&O from LIA within a year after the seminar, become eligible for a one-time discount on their premium of $50 for a $500K or $1m per claim policy or $25 for a $300k per claim policy per appraiser by completing the Loss Prevention Program.

Thank you,
Peter Christensen
Attorney and General Counsel to LIA Administrators & Insurance Services (an E&O provider)

Last edited by Privateer : 09-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I just signed up for the Northern VA class, see you there.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyKat View Post
I just signed up for the Northern VA class, see you there.
I look forward to seeing you there on Thursday. This is to let other appraisers also know that the class in Northern Virginia is now approved in DC for CE credit, along with all the other states listed in the post. And, since the space is sizable, there is plenty of room in the Northern Virginia class for more. It is free to Appraisal Institute Northern Virginia Chapter members (the class has been arranged and is hosted by the chapter). And, it is only $40 for non-members. However, all appraisers receive a $25 or $50 discount on their next E&O payment with LIA, if insured now or in the future by LIA.

If you’re worried that I spend a lot of time talking about insurance, that is not the case. The class is about appraiser liability issues. I cover a lot of real life lawsuits and liability demands. Other topics covered are things like what’s the statute of limitations for suing an appraiser and how does the discovery rule apply? What do review appraisers get sued for? Does an LLC or an Inc. protect you from professional liability? What is the class action against appraisers in WV all about? Who are LSF6 Mercury REO and Heritage Pacific and where are they suing appraisers?

If you’d like to come, just send me an email and bring a check or cash for the chapter to the class, unless you are a chapter member. peter@liability.com.

Unfortunately, the New York class has been cancelled.

Thank you,
Peter Christensen
General Counsel
LIA Administrators & Insurance Services

Last edited by Privateer : 10-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Having taken this seminar, I can assure you that it's not an LIA commercial. Peter brings a wealth of knowledge and everyday experience in real life appraiser liability issues. I guarantee that you will change your business practices because of this seminar.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL1957 View Post
Having taken this seminar, I can assure you that it's not an LIA commercial. Peter brings a wealth of knowledge and everyday experience in real life appraiser liability issues. I guarantee that you will change your business practices because of this seminar.
Thank you.

I thought I'd let appraisers know about other upcoming classes I will lead. Even when these classes are affiliated with AI chapters, please know that all appraisers are welcome and with all events, I always ask that the hosts keep the fee down, because we at LIA do not charge for my time or travel to give the classes. Thus, they are generally priced attractively (especially if the appraiser is insured by LIA -- because of the E&O discount we apply).

10/31/12 in Lansing, Michigan with Mid-Michigan Chapter of AI. Since it's Halloween, it will be an extra scary doubleheader. In the morning, it will be a new class 3-hour class concentrating on appraiser liability outside appraisals for lending -- appraiser versus appraiser lawsuits (e.g., defamation, malicious prosecution), expert witness work, neutral work, tax work, conservation easements, review appraiser liability, chief appraiser liability, appraisers having liability as de facto AMCs, etc. The risk is actually higher, but the claims less frequent overall because fewer appraisers do non-lending work. In the afternoon, I will do our regular 4-hour class. Appraisers can take both and get 7 hours total CE. Cost and sign up is through the chapter at http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/ed...n/MidMichigan/

Please note an appraiser can only earn 1 E&O discount even if the appraiser takes both classes in the scary doubleheader.

11/1/12 in Indianapolis with the Hoosier State Chapter of AI. There is a lunch/membership meeting before the class. The class itself will begin at 1:00. I will be teaching it with Nick Tillema, MAI, SRA. This event is being held at the Garden Terrace building - on the grounds of the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Located at 4000 Michigan Road in Indianapolis. The cost is $40. Registration for this class is through the chapter:
Shannon O'Keefe, Executive Director
aihoosierstate@sbcglobal.net
Hoosier State Chapter
APPRAISAL INSTITUTE
9247 N. Meridian Street, Ste. 102
Indianapolis, IN 46260
T 317-815-1340
Other classes further out:

January 2013: South Dakota and Wyoming -- doubleheader like the Lansing classes.

March 2013: Anchorage, AK -- double header. This class will be free to LIA insureds. Other appraisers will be welcome for a reasonable fee. Details TBA.

Thank you,
Peter Christensen
LIA's general counsel

Last edited by Privateer : 10-09-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Privateer - any Northern California dates scheduled?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercharlie View Post
Privateer - any Northern California dates scheduled?
We don't have any currently scheduled there, but I hope to next year. We had classes in Petaluma and Sacramento earlier in the year, and last week I went to Fresno. We don't make money from this, so I can't spend all my time traveling. Our insurance program only benefits from it if appraisers we insure now or in the future are in the class and handle a liability situation better, or if a few appraisers decide they want to join our E&O program (but again, the class is not in any way an E&O commercial -- the content is about appraiser liability).

Last edited by Privateer : 10-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread