Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Running an Appraisal Business
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

If you are already certified, why might you want access to your workfiles?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM

State: Connecticut
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

If you do not take them with you, they are theirs after all, they are required to give you access to any appraisals (and the work file) you signed.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM

State: Illinois

The fact you are asking this question, on this forum, leads me to believe you might not yet be ready ( competent) to go out on your own.

I equate this to an appraiser stating they have 10 years of experience and are going out on their own but needs to know " Where do I get a copy of USPAP?"

Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Our software made pdf's of all our reports. Before I left my shop I made sure I had the copies of the pdf's on my hard drive. I also took the files of my reports for the last 3 months with me. I was not concerned with my years of files. If I need one of my older my former shop owner must provide me access to the files.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 PM

State: Tennessee

Pete -

Record Keeping Rule first and foremost. For more recent files, underwriter/lender conditions that may need to be addressed.

Really, I wouldn't mind if I had no reason to visit the files again - that might correlate to "no worries". Regardless, I need to know that my files for the past 5 years are accessible to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
If you are already certified, why might you want access to your workfiles?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 PM

State: Tennessee

Not that I equate your response to an individual who compensates for his lack of acumen with senseless diatribe. But, some might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post
The fact you are asking this question, on this forum, leads me to believe you might not yet be ready ( competent) to go out on your own.

I equate this to an appraiser stating they have 10 years of experience and are going out on their own but needs to know " Where do I get a copy of USPAP?"

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM

State: Illinois

Why wouldn't you have already been creating copies of your workfiles even while you were employed there? You are an individual as far as licensing is concerned and should have had your own copies a long time ago.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Holderly View Post
State laws may also come into play. You signed them and you area required to keep copies. You are in a better situation than many appraisers were several years ago.
What happened several years ago
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM

State: Connecticut

I'm not sure making copies of your own work files equals theft as another poster indicated. However, it need not come to that. Inform them you are leaving and ask for copies of the files. If they refuse, you can make a stink about it to the state for starters if you want , but certainly have them put in writing that they will keep/save all files and will be responsible for them and will grant you access if/when you need them.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 AM

State: Oregon

FWIW. Had a problem once and only once in 2008.
Report date was 1990 and in 1992 I opened own shop. Amicable departure.
However, the report became part of evidence in a trial in 2008 and in the meantime the
former office had shredded the 1995 and earlier files in 2005. Testimony was hedged as a result since there was only a partial copy existant in possession of the buyer of that parcel.
There is also possibility of loss by casualty, fire, water, etc. in storage.

BBR, what is present office policy on file retention? They should want to retain their files as well as yours as long as practical since if there is a trial or expert testimony required, their name is on the file too.

99% of time you will never see it again of course but then. . .
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread