Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Carbonite or Vault?

I need to back up my files and buy a new computer. I know Vault is probably the way to go, but it's expensive. I need advice/recommendations please.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM

State: Connecticut

I use Vault. But I also use Sugarsync for all my important files and some appraisal files that I do not Vault for my own reasons.

Vault-- mostly because it is useful for restoring after a crash or just on a new PC. I have to remember to use IE when retrieving files because it does not seem to like other browsers.

Sugarsync--on Headsurfer Wayne's recommendation posted on this site. It is very smooth and I underuse it as just a backup since it synchronizes across many devices.

Carbonite I tried but back then it caused my system to stutter while constantly backing up. Sugarsync does not do that but it may reflect better equipment, ISP, now.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

While I use Carbonite, have a couple years left on my paid in full subscription, there are a LOT of backup options out there. Carbonite is the most popular simply because of marketing. So do a little research before buying as it all depends on how much storage you need.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Amazon also offers affordable cloud storage.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:15 PM

State: Colorado

I use carbonite and I have a external hard drive also. I do not use Vault because I want all my files backed up and not just the alamode ones. I do more commercial reports than I do residential.

Carbonite has several options and price levels. They start out with $60/year. On one of my systems, I use Home plus ($100/yr) and on the other system I use Home premier ($150/yr). They very helpful. Earlier this year when my computer died they got me the back up Hard drives overnighted to me. (and it was during a blizzard back east). .

Other services out there are Mozy have heard good things from them.

hope this helps.

ray
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM

State: Nevada

I think that ONLY the Vault will back up your Alamode program and settings.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrum View Post
I think that ONLY the Vault will back up your Alamode program and settings.
close... from what i have read using vault will make it a lot easier if you crash and have to restore alm programs to your new machine/hd. this is mainly due to the alm use of the sql server, however after doing a few reinstalls it's not that hard to do (stop the server, copy the 2 files from backup to new machine, copy over 4 directories, start the server - those may be out of order but that is all there is to it - they can even send you step by step instructions on how to do it so even those with the most basic of computer skill sets could do it).

for the added cost and the frequency of completely losing a hd or computer to me carbonite is a no-brainer. plus as stated above it will backup your entire computer, not just the alm files. on top of that you will be limited to basically the same speed no matter which solution you choose when it comes to restoring something.

renee - you need to change your settings. out of the box carbonite will constantly run a scan and backup any files that have changed. if you set it to only run from say midnight to 6am you won't have that problem.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM

State: Oregon

Last time I checked, and its been a while, Amazon could not back up folders created on the computer, only individual files.

Google Drive is good. And you can access the files anywhere. Carbonite is not like that.

There are a lot of cloud storage options. You can find them rated online.

I also rotate flash drives in a safe deposit box every few months.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 PM

State: Wisconsin

I like SugarSync a lot (went with it based on recommendations here) but I only backup data, not programs.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 AM

State: South Carolina

Sugarsync backs up and synconizes my files between my desktop and laptop. I can also access them with my phone if needed.

Closed Thread