Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 01:08 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Hello!

I'm trying to estimate replacement cost on kitchen cabinets and countertops. In Marshall and Swift the estimates are in linear square feet. How do I convert this to figure the amounts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2002, 01:57 PM

Debra, I don't believe there is such a thing as a linear square foot. Linear is one dimensions by definition.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:09 PM

State: Colorado

I think that Ron is right. I've never heard of linear square feet. It is either linear feet or square feet, one or the other.
When you measure the full length of the cabinety needed, that is considered linear feet. Cabinets are fairly standard in depth (splashboard to front face) so that dimension is not necessary to measure.
Square feet is more commonly used to measure things like floor coverings or full house measurements, where the lengths and widths can vary greatly.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:02 PM

O. K.

Well...I'm looking at the Home Repair and Remodel Cost Guide book and it says (priced per linear foot unless otherwise shown). So...what is a linear foor then? Thanks! :? ops:
Old 04-08-2002, 03:37 PM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

Linear feet is a straight line. ie a plat map shows a lot 50' x 100' each of those measurements are linear feet 50 feet is also expressed as 50 linear feet. Linear is always only one measurement.

Square feet is measurements of the whole. ie plat map shows 50' x 100' multiplied together you get 5,000 square feet. Square feet is the total of the multiplication of the linear feet.

Ryan
Old 04-08-2002, 04:09 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Debra,

Linear feet is the method counter tops/kitchens are measured. You simply measure the length of the countertops/cabinets and that's it. Usually, only counter tops are by the linear method. Cabinets are priced by unit.

You bring back old memories when I used to state in my FHA appraisals how many l/f of cabinets the kitchen had. Oh, boy.

I've also seen countertops priced by the linear inch, if they are really expensive.

Basically, just think of it as the length of the countertops/cabinets, forget the linear stuff. It's just jargon used in the kitchen industry.

Ben
Old 04-08-2002, 08:13 PM

Hello!

Thanks...I understand now.... ops:
Old 04-08-2002, 09:06 PM

State: Nebraska
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

debra:

lots to learn here and no need to be ops: about it!

If anyone snarls at you or call you ignorant, just politely inquire if they are senile!?!: since they must have forgotten that they were new at thier job once!

The good ones ask questions the bad ones figger they know it all!

Hang out here for answers or at least opinions aplenty, and you cannot fail to learn!
Old 04-08-2002, 11:11 PM

Hello!

I do appreciate all answers and replies here...it's so great for learning! After all...sponsers are usually too busy to teach you much and then when you get your license and "have to fly" then you have to learn real fast and want so much to do well!!! Thanks! Debra
Old 04-09-2002, 08:21 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Ah Debra,

Lee Ann is right!

Now, if you have a sponsor/supervisor that is too busy to answer your questions, you probably should be looking for a new one and the one you have should not have trainees.

Ask every time you have a question!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread