Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > Newbies/Appraiser WannaBe
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 12:00 PM

Me again. This forum and the people of it are becoming my new best friends ! I'm going to take my first course tomorrow and plan to meet with a possible mentor Tuesday. (EXCITED)

Someone suggested to me the HP 12C to invest in for a financial calculator. I found a Texas Instrument Advanced Financial calc. for less than half the price. Seems to me that it has all the needed functions. Will this do the job???

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2002, 01:46 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

The Texas Instrument will be fine, it does have all the needed functions but the HP12C is what "everyone" uses.

Often instructors will spend time in class teaching you how to use the functions of the 12C. If you need to buy a calculator, I would spend the extra for the HP.

Carolyn
Old 04-28-2002, 04:26 PM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

The HP-12c is widely used and is most often used by instructors, at least by AI instructors. It's very frustrating to take a course and not be able to follow the calculations with a different calculator. Try ebay or Wal-Mart for the best prices.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:02 PM

State: Illinois

HP12-C, no doubt about. It is a must for the appraiser. This thing is more than just a calculator. I am truly amazed at what this thing can do.

I paid approx $70 at an Office Depot. It is one of the most least expensive appraisal tools.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:16 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I pick up an HP 17BII at Staples on close out for $65.00. I don't have a problem using it in class. Seem to follow the other Hps. You might look for a close out on the HP's or go to ebay.

The person next to me has a TI and he seems to have problems with it every day. It rounds up or down different and he comes up with different answers.

Many time I use my four place calculator and get along just fine with it.

Ray Miller
www.saddlefitting.net
auction@execpc.com
Old 04-30-2002, 12:41 AM

State: Montana

Tabatha:

:idea:
A handy 10 page guide for using the financial calculator in appraising may be downloaded from:

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/educatio...on/fin_calc.asp

Most courses use the HP12C and the above mentioned guide uses the HP12C.

Old 04-30-2002, 08:33 AM

I just picked up the HP 10B II for 29.99 @ Staples yesterday. Seems to function just like the 12C, at least the buttons do. Tried Walmart in Dubuque, and they said they no longer carry HP calcs.

Brick
Old 05-02-2002, 08:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of the valuable information. Can't seem to find the HP 12C at Wal-Mart stores. Maybe I'll have luck online or at Staples.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:23 PM

Tabatha

Looks like you can pick up a new HP12C at amazon.com.

They seem to be harder to find in stores lately.

Carolyn
Old 05-03-2002, 12:32 PM

One thing about the HP12c. The keystroke order to perform the calculations is somewhat reversed of that used by normal calculators. They even refer to it as Reverse Polish Notation, or 'RPN'. Not a very policitally correct term, but it does convey the idea. I've used the same HP12c for the last 13 years and it has ruined me for other calculators.

It's like one of my instructors from long ago told us:

"God uses an HP12c." :roll:

As a side note, when I got mine, I was told that Hewlett-Packard was discontiunig the HP12c and they were no longer in production; the company was just selling off their existing stock. Obviously they later changed their minds. With that in mind, the other HP calculators might actually be a better bet for someone just starting out. They do pretty much the same thing and they (or their variants) will continue to be in production.

Whatever you do, make sure you set aside some time to at least read the manual. Don't be too alarmed at the large number of applications. I don't know anyone who can use all the functions. I sure can't. You just need to master the basic ones. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to work much more quickly than someone using a regular calculator. Then you'll be ruined, too.

George Hatch
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread